Author Topic: Maps  (Read 965 times)

Offline Dacota101

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Maps
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:38 am »
Hello, I'm really getting into the pack that I've created and I've decided that I want to create a map for it.
Does anyone have any advice on creating one?

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
Re: Maps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:41:03 am »
If this is your first time creating a map, and you don't know how to, I suggest looking through some YouTube videos and checking them out.

Tutorials by MoonKitty26   

I learned how to create maps by watching MoonKitty26 tutorials on YouTube.

As for adding objects, this is something that you can also look up on YouTube,  you can download objects from other users and add them into your map, or you could use default objects (which can also make a beautiful map, without the need to download extra stuff).

As for the look of the map, here's what I can say,
If you want highly detailed map with lots of objects,
It's better to make a smaller map if you don't have too much time than a huge one with only so little objects, which will make the map look very empty.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:12:57 pm »
/// Tips on Height Maps \\\

If your map is going to be mostly land make sure you use a dark grey for the base of your map. That way you can build height a lot easier and a lot more interestingly.
Your height map does not need to look perfect! It could be a mess of smudges and oddities, it just gives you more to work with in design! It's more interesting, too.

/// Tips on Terrain Maps \\\

Use rough brushes for paths and patches! The softness of the brush all depends on the environment, like if there was a lot of snow. I'd use a messy soft brush to mark out my paths.
Try to use all three possible terrain differences if you can! RGB! Different grounds add great detail to your map, more than you'd expect.
If you're using a light terrain texture (like snow), some heights can be difficult to see. Use a darker or slightly darker terrain texture to refine the 'dips'. It'll look like a cast shadow almost.

/// Tips on object placing \\\

Trees are more interesting when they come in different shapes and sizes, but this doesn't necessarily mean you need to be dramatic about the differences.
When placing bushes, don't just place one, place multiple and create a cluster of them. Not all have to be completely above ground either.
Always turn repetitive objects (like trees, bushes, and other foilage) so things don't look absolutely copy & pasted.
Trees also make great bushes! The acaicia tree for example, sink the trunk beneath the ground, and have the branches growing out. This works for other trees too!
Not all objects need collisions- only add/keep collisions on objects you KNOW people are likely to use! This will reduce so much lag!
Everyone loves to take screenshots in maps! Make sure after you've placed a few objects that you make sure it looks aesthetic! This works better in test when you can see a character!
Don't make objects too big or too small! Be realistic! Unless the whole theme of the map is big or small...

I'll try to think of more if I can

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Dacota101

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:03:25 am »
Thank you very much!!!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:08:28 pm »
there are some cool textures free to use or otherwise on dA and on this forum that i highly encourage you to use

although the default ones that come pre-packed with FH are great, a stylistic or just alternative grass type will make the map pop out more. just be careful with colors and er... how bright the grass can be.
don't be like me and make radioactive grass on accident

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972