Author Topic: Do you have an inner voice?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline RenX

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒓 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒐𝒏𝒆
    • @bennytendies
    • View Profile
Do you have an inner voice?
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:11:41 am »
Okay so, lemme explain LOL

In the past year, I've recently learned that some of you weirdos have an inner voice? Like, y'all can HEAR that?? I thought it was an expression or metaphor this whole time, all 18 years old my life! ON TOP OF THAT, you people can imagine things? And SEE THEM IN YOUR MIND? WHAT. That's literally insane to think about, I had no idea.

But seriously, it's been interesting and also horrifying trying to wrap my head around the concept of having an inner voice and a mind's eye. I've been completely reevaluating the way I think and the way I think that I think. That makes almost no sense but HAH, grammar is correct. I think. Apparently the lack of an inner voice/mind's eye is called aphantasia. Whoa.

I had a conversation with a friend earlier about this whole thing, and this was my attempt at rationalizing the way I think:

"My thoughts are like, a thousand voices talking all at the same time about different ideas, except you can’t hear or see anything about it and can either subconsciously think about things to them done  or consciously think about things to get them done, which takes longer and physically hurts my head but it’s the way I was conditioned to think and learn so now I’m trying to unlearn it all and think the way that’s best for me."

The TL;DR is that I think in abstract thought without actually thinking in words or images bahaha.

So it all boils down to my question! Do you have an inner voice/mind's eye? Do most of you have it and I'm just slow? What's it like being able to see things and hear a voice in your head? I feel like I'm missing out ;ooo;
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:14:13 am by RenX »
𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐗#𝟓𝟔𝟔𝟐 | 𝐡𝐞/𝐡𝐢𝐦

Offline beeans

• Curious Wanderer
  • i just really hate avocados
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have an inner voice?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:18:02 am »
Personally, I think it's something normal, something that all people have, and not something with like supernatural connections. When I hear the word 'inner-voice' I think about the little voice at the back of your head that you can hear everytime you write something, or when you think about something you somewhat build it in your head. I'm thinking about an orange right now, and all I 'see' in my mind is an orange in a black space. It's probably brain stuff, maybe that's just how we are built.

As I'm writing this, I can hear that inner voice, saying all these things that I'm writing. Thing is, you can't ACTUALLY hear it. It's kinda trippy if you ask me, and too complicated to be developed by the FH community (not saying we aren't smart, because we are, it's just that the subject of inner voices is big) . To put it short though, I do have an inner voice. I thought everyone does. Do you like, not hear anything AT ALL whenever you read something, or think about something?

Offline RenX

• Curious Wanderer
    • @bennytendies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 07:29:16 am »
Personally, I think it's something normal, something that all people have, and not something with like supernatural connections. When I hear the word 'inner-voice' I think about the little voice at the back of your head that you can hear everytime you write something, or when you think about something you somewhat build it in your head. I'm thinking about an orange right now, and all I 'see' in my mind is an orange in a black space. It's probably brain stuff, maybe that's just how we are built.

As I'm writing this, I can hear that inner voice, saying all these things that I'm writing. Thing is, you can't ACTUALLY hear it. It's kinda trippy if you ask me, and too complicated to be developed by the FH community (not saying we aren't smart, because we are, it's just that the subject of inner voices is big) . To put it short though, I do have an inner voice. I thought everyone does. Do you like, not hear anything AT ALL whenever you read something, or think about something?

That's so interesting :0 And I feel that lol. As much as I love the FH community, you're right—this likely won't get much traction, but I just felt the need to sate my curiosity bahaha. Whenever people in my life told me to 'listen to the little voice in the back of your mind,' I thought it was just a saying. Like telling your kids to think about something twice before doing it, or having common sense. Apparently it's some brain thing that the majority of people have :'D

To answer your question, I don't hear anything. Whether if I'm reading or thinking, or even trying to talk to myself in my head, I can't hear anything. Same thing when I try to visualize; when I close my eyes (or keep them open sometimes) to try and 'see' something, like an orange, I don't see anything. If my eyes are closed, it's just black. I don't know how else to describe it all except just an abstract cluster of thought with no language or imagery to translate it. Even as I write, I can't hear what I'm thinking, or what I think my next words will be.

My friend and I have come to the conclusion that I have lizard brain LOL
𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐗#𝟓𝟔𝟔𝟐 | 𝐡𝐞/𝐡𝐢𝐦

Offline beeans

• Curious Wanderer
  • i just really hate avocados
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:37:17 am »

That's so interesting :0 And I feel that lol. As much as I love the FH community, you're right—this likely won't get much traction, but I just felt the need to sate my curiosity bahaha. Whenever people in my life told me to 'listen to the little voice in the back of your mind,' I thought it was just a saying. Like telling your kids to think about something twice before doing it, or having common sense. Apparently it's some brain thing that the majority of people have :'D

To answer your question, I don't hear anything. Whether if I'm reading or thinking, or even trying to talk to myself in my head, I can't hear anything. Same thing when I try to visualize; when I close my eyes (or keep them open sometimes) to try and 'see' something, like an orange, I don't see anything. If my eyes are closed, it's just black. I don't know how else to describe it all except just an abstract cluster of thought with no language or imagery to translate it. Even as I write, I can't hear what I'm thinking, or what I think my next words will be.

That's trippy ngl. I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be able to hear that voice. You know, whenever I just sit still and look into nothing, without thinking about anything in particular, random images just pop in my head. Like a face (seen before or not), and then it just morphs into something entirely different like a piece of clothing, or furniture or something. It only lasts for a few seconds, and then when I 'come back to reality' and realize what's happening, I can't visualize those things anymore. It's weird, and I've never really given it much thought, but now you got me thinking lmao.

Anyway, I don't think it's a problem that you don't have this inner voice. It's not really something that 'helps' people and it's not something that gets in the way either. It's just a, let's say 'bonus', to the human body. Glad you got this off your chest though!

Offline RenX

• Curious Wanderer
    • @bennytendies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 07:44:22 am »

That's trippy ngl. I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be able to hear that voice. You know, whenever I just sit still and look into nothing, without thinking about anything in particular, random images just pop in my head. Like a face (seen before or not), and then it just morphs into something entirely different like a piece of clothing, or furniture or something. It only lasts for a few seconds, and then when I 'come back to reality' and realize what's happening, I can't visualize those things anymore. It's weird, and I've never really given it much thought, but now you got me thinking lmao.

Anyway, I don't think it's a problem that you don't have this inner voice. It's not really something that 'helps' people and it's not something that gets in the way either. It's just a, let's say 'bonus', to the human body. Glad you got this off your chest though!

Oh goodness, I think I'd go neurotic or burst a blood vessel if a random image popped into my head! :0 That sounds so cool though! Maybe there's a way to control it, with time and practice or something lol. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be a better artist or writer if I had an inner monologue or mind's eye.

I'm glad I got you thinking, it's an interesting topic :'D Questioning the way you think is freaky bahaha. And thank you for listening, I'm glad I did too! :D
𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐗#𝟓𝟔𝟔𝟐 | 𝐡𝐞/𝐡𝐢𝐦

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 08:05:02 am »
Okay, I have a kind of inner voice. When I imagine something, I see images. As for voices, well sometimes I hear voices, but not when I want to. Sometimes these are flashes of words spoken to me (nothing special), but I often hear voices in my head that I don't know or, worse, I don't want to know. So my inner voice is more a mental illness than an elaborate thinking.
On new account Aiiokia

Offline RenX

• Curious Wanderer
    • @bennytendies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:48:45 am »
Okay, I have a kind of inner voice. When I imagine something, I see images. As for voices, well sometimes I hear voices, but not when I want to. Sometimes these are flashes of words spoken to me (nothing special), but I often hear voices in my head that I don't know or, worse, I don't want to know. So my inner voice is more a mental illness than an elaborate thinking.

Ohh, that's interesting, although I'm sorry it's something that you've had to cope with. Are the images that you can visualize very clear or something else? Every time I try to 'see' an image, it physically hurts my head and eyes bahaha
𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐗#𝟓𝟔𝟔𝟐 | 𝐡𝐞/𝐡𝐢𝐦

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:57:30 am »
Ohh, that's interesting, although I'm sorry it's something that you've had to cope with. Are the images that you can visualize very clear or something else? Every time I try to 'see' an image, it physically hurts my head and eyes bahaha

To see the image in your head clean and clear, you need to focus strongly. I can do it because I remember my fantasies at the age of five, heh. If you want to learn "visualization", try to take an object, stare at it for a moment, then go to another room and try to visualize this object.
On new account Aiiokia

Offline RenX

• Curious Wanderer
    • @bennytendies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 09:14:37 am »
To see the image in your head clean and clear, you need to focus strongly. I can do it because I remember my fantasies at the age of five, heh. If you want to learn "visualization", try to take an object, stare at it for a moment, then go to another room and try to visualize this object.

I'll have to try that! I don't usually mind that I can't visualize things 'normally', but I'd like to experience it someday :0 Thank you!
𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐗#𝟓𝟔𝟔𝟐 | 𝐡𝐞/𝐡𝐢𝐦

Offline Garfield.

• ✨Magical chihuahua✨
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • hello, it's mac
    • channel/UClsDv82N2aher_4BWUy8KPQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 02:54:50 pm »
Yep! my inner voice is kind of my guide and friend, sometimes I hear 2 voices aswell like one being evil and the other trying to beat it. Usually I imagine myself in happy moments, I never had bad images in my mind if nightmares doesn't count.
In conclusion, I say that they are good and bad at the same time.