Help & Guidance > Character & Roleplay Tutorials

[WIP] Characters: An Art (The Many Types of Characters and How to Roleplay Them)

<< < (2/9) > >>

Twee:
? Looks Can Be Deceiving - Personalities ?
So we've already looked over the basic types of characters as well as the design aspect. Your design may not be finalised yet or even not done yet, and that's perfectly fine. Everyone goes about creating characters differently - you might prefer to create your character's personality before their appearance, or vice versa.

Creating a believable personality can be pretty tricky, especially if you're not used to it. A lot of well-known writers even take months to create their latest work's characters! So don't be put off if you're having trouble. Be patient and above all else, put time and effort into your characters and you'll be all the more proud of how they turn out.

Now, let's get started!

? The Basics ?
When looking at personality, there are a lot of things to take into account. It's easy for me to tell you "This is my character, he/she is very timid and doesn't like talking", but it's got no foundation. Why are they like that? Did something happen to them when they were younger? Is it a recent happening? Do they only act like this around adults? What about the opposite sex?

If you can't answer any questions as to why your character acts they way they do, then they're lacking a bit in depth. It's very, very rare for someone to be a particular way without any reasoning behind it, so the same should hold true for all of your characters.

I spoke before about knowing your character's basics, and the same absolutely holds true here. In my experience, knowing your character inside-out makes for far more interesting roleplay. And of course, what better way to get to know your character than filling out a chart?

? Character Charts ?
Chances are, if you've ever roleplayed a character (and I very much doubt many people in this community have not), you've probably filled out one of these before. A character chart, or a bio as most refer to it as, is a very simple form stating facts about your character. Below, I have put a blank form as an example that you can use at your leisure. Out of many I have seen, this is one of the most detailed ones - though for the sake of convenience, I have only taken the areas that correspond to personality. A link to the full version can be found below the chart. I've put it in a spoiler since it is pretty long-winded.

Twee:
? So What's Your Story? Backstories ?

Twee:
? What Now? Roleplaying Your Character ?

Twee:
? The Do's and Don't's ?

Twee:
Still a very large work-in-progress, but I hope you like it so far. ;v;

Let me know if you think any changes are in order. This is all coming from my personal learnings and experiences, so you may have differing opinions from me - and that's okay! I'd love if you'd give me some feedback on what you think could do with a change.

I'll continue this at a later date. This is probably going to take a long time to complete. ;3; Anyway, you can go ahead and post for now <3 I'll sneakily update as I go along.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version