Author Topic: Best ways to get an rp group started?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
Best ways to get an rp group started?
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:32:14 am »
Hey everyone, I decided to post a more basic discussion that could help me and some other people who may be in the same boat as me out. So for me finding and getting groups started seems to of been nothing but hell honestly, I still have not found a group to join that I would feel right at home with. I am a passionate roleplayer and I love to rp, it is literally one of the things that is essential to my everyday life. So I am here with a helpful discussion anyone could take part in if they would like, just no trolling or bullying please, though I am sure the moderators will keep an eye out for me. So here we go, without further interruption...

What makes a good rp group and what are the best ways to get one started?

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Best ways to get an rp group started?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:09 am »
Let me tell you a bit about my rp style, why don't I? I have been a long time roleplayer for quite a few years now and I have since kind of developed my own way of rp, when talking about rping and how you do it there are a few things to take note of, Your RP Skill Level, Types of RP you do, and your style of rp.

RP Skill Level refers to how literate you are, Type of RP you do refers to what kind of roleplay games you like and are good at, and Style of RP refers to how you rp. For me this is a quick summary of how I do this.

My RP Skill Level ranges from Semi-Literate to Literate, the Types of rps I do are Fantasy and Realistic, and my Style of rp is Scripting (ex. *He wanders around looking for food* Geez I am hungry.)

Most rps I enjoy are Fantasy wolf rp, Ranked pack rp, Lion king rp (I play as Kovu :3), Anime based rp, and a few more. So with all this said feel free to share not only ideas for getting an rp group started and what makes a fun rp, but also how you rp and everything.

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:00:05 am »
I too have problems with group-making, I'd suggest making a unique group that looks appealing to others; Create the group you want to see in the game, chances are there's others looking for a group like yours if there is no other group like yours.

I personally like groups that have names that aren't in different language but still use complex words, but that's just my preference and there are people whom like different language names, so use a complex/different language name. Uniqueness is also a factor in groups to me, since when people encounter two of the same group they may be more likely to choose the one with the most members in it.

I tend to become barely active in the group if I don't participate in roleplay at least once after joining(If I get to roleplay at least once then I'll stay in the group), but there are people whom like to chat a lot in groups.

How to achieve uniqueness, you ask? Well, I'll list the things I don't see often in groups, but with no intention of changing your group if you like your group the way it is now.
1: Rituals, thinking of a routine action such as praising the moon.
2: Practices, such as marking recruits with scars or paint.

Also think about time zones, not everyone can be on all the time, include some roleplaying within the time others are awake whenever you're up for roleplay, so everyone gets to roleplay in your group.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:05:12 am by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:07:58 am »
I too have problems with group-making, I'd suggest making a unique group that looks appealing to others; Create the group you want to see in the game, chances are there's others looking for a group like yours if there is no other group like yours.

I personally like groups that have names that aren't in different language but still use complex words, but that's just my preference and there are people whom like different language names, so use a complex/different language name. Uniqueness is also a factor in groups to me, since when people encounter two of the same group they may be more likely to choose the one with the most members in it.

I tend to become barely active in the group if I don't participate in roleplay at least once after joining(If I get to roleplay at least once then I'll stay in the group), but there are people whom like to chat a lot in groups.

How to achieve uniqueness, you ask? Well, I'll list the things I don't see often in groups, but with no intention of changing your group if you like your group the way it is now.
1: Rituals, thinking of a routine action such as praising the moon.
2: Practices, such as marking recruits with scars or paint.

Also think about time zones, not everyone can be on all the time, include some roleplaying within the time others are awake whenever you're up for roleplay, so everyone gets to roleplay in your group.

Good suggestions! Though I will make this clear I am not really looking for help just starting a interesting discussion, for me sometimes hearing ideas of others can be interesting since everyone is different and we all seem to think of different things, but thank you anyways (^_^)"

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:41 am »

Tips on Starting up your Roleplay

Adding this in.

Hosting movie nights via togethertube, hosting mini-plots (for example, an RP I used to be in had mini-plots such as a bear attack, though all injuries were 'approved' in secret, to avoid random dramatic deaths, fatal blows, etc.) , and having holiday parties open to everyone are not only great ways to connect with your group, but also to advertise and connect with users who might become interested in it.

Although as the leader, you're obviously going to be very busy, most members of groups do not feel motivated to RP if their leader is not. If the leader isn't having a good time, chances are the members won't either. Making sure that you have the best attitude about your roleplay is a huge part of people wanting to stick around.

Be friendly, but also enforce your rules. Don't let a friend break the rules just because they're your friend, then have a harsh talk with a newer member about the same issue. Be fair.

Include everyone in your group. Having some of your closer friends join is a great way to bring a positive atmosphere about the group, but if you're not reaching out to new members, they won't feel included, and therefore won't feel inclined to come online.

Be as active as you can be. If members don't see their leader online in a group, they feel less motivated to get/stay online.

Create different 'trials' or 'tasks' for each rank or member to do. If you send out a hunting patrol and border patrol daily, it gives members something to RP about.

Keep the random over the top dramatics to a minimum, but keep it interesting. If something dramatic, such as a character dying, is going to take place, plan everything out beforehand. Let people know someone's character is going to die, but don't give away who. This will hook users in wanting to be a part of this character's final moments, and finding out who it is.

Play with the pups/cubs of your roleplay, too. It's too often seen that the little ones in a group are ignored for one reason or another, and that never feels too nice.

Make sure everyone can be comfortable within the group's chat/RP topic. For instance, if someone is telling scary stories about spiders in front of someone who is arachnophobic, that user will probably feel uncomfortable coming online when that specific person is online, which can be a real problem if said person is very active.

Don't be someone who gives up on an RP after even one or two weeks of little to no people wanting to join. Despite what you may think, people DO recognize you as the leader of said roleplay, even if it's just from the movies you post. Canceling one roleplay and opening up another, then doing it all over again, may lead people to think that once you get bored with the RP they want to join, you'll end up closing up shop. Stick to your RP. It takes quite a long time for an RP to become big and popular, often months and months. Keep at it, you'll get there someday.

Last of all, what's most important is to make your roleplay unique. It's your roleplay, don't make it a copy of someone else's. Even just a simple wolf pack can differ from another in endless ways.

I hope I could at least provide a few good tips. Good luck with with your RP.

(The rest of this shtuff can be found at https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=55268.msg753454#quickreply )

The thread is old, su posting to it isn't the best idea, but just checking the thread out might offer some good ideas for managing a roleplay.
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 04:15:53 pm »
If you figure a way out please let me know hehe

I'm not a huge roleplayer in game anymore, but back when I ran my own groups, I found it was mostly the concept that would attract members, and execution that would keep them. For instance, supernatural themes may come across as more eye catching than a basic wolf pack. Allowing individuality and a easily traversed hierarchy also encourages users to be active and can help them feel more welcome in the group. As FlyingGrass mentioned, having characters be marked with something (positive or negative depending on the tone) is a great way not only to set your group apart from others, but to make new members feel involved and relevant. Edo brought up some awesome tips, which I won't restate, but from observing other large groups, hosting events is usually incredibly yielding for bringing attention to, and new members into your group.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya