Author Topic: Information Thread Regarding Server Inactivity And Recent Events  (Read 100657 times)

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Information Thread Regarding Server Inactivity And Recent Events
« on: December 01, 2015, 11:59:52 pm »
As many users in our community might have noticed there's been quite a few things going on around FeralHeart Game, Server and site. Most commonly referred to as "Feral-Heart being hacked". The hacking itself has been quite unfortunate and forced us to take down the game server while addressing the situation. We're back online now and we've noticed quite a lot of discussions and speculation about this incident so we're hoping that a lot will be explained in this post but we would also like to assure you the players of FeralHeart that there's nothing to worry about. This post is here to sum up and inform.

During Friday 27th last week we had a breach in the game where a group of users tried to cause some havoc for the community by taking control of staff accounts and abusing a limited set of moderation powers, they also altered some characters sizes and proportions. The combination of odd looking characters and usage of staff accounts in a bad manner, managed to get quite the attention from players and staff of the game, so in response we took the game offline. As we're sure that most of our readers understand, it's quite a serious matter to have users accessing accounts which aren't theirs. It's truly something we wanted to look into and deal with. During the last couple of days we've had a lot of speculation going on around the game from players, why, how, who and of course what this will mean for Feral-Heart(which is to be expected), but we've not provided an explanation because we wanted to be sure what we're dealing with, and focus on working it out.

Most importantly your passwords and personal information are safe with us, and these "Hackers" were not able to get a hold of any login information. The "hack" appears to be that some users have gotten hold of the game source code, and probably built a modified game client and/or found a small hole in the game's connection process to cause the events that took place. How exactly they may have obtained such information we don't know. Last we were aware only the game creator KovuLKD had such access and knowledge. While there are rumors of other users having access to the source there is no reliable information to confirm this. If this is the case the game is in a bit of a rough spot for these kind of attacks but we're working on more security measures server side to prevent any similar abuse. For now we're still working out how exactly things are going to work in the future and restricting the users from playing that have been actively involved the "hacking" that took place.

Just to clarify since other games and sites were mentioned by the ones hijacking the staff accounts during the "hacking". This has been a specific attack against Feral-Heart in how it works and no other game or site is more or less vulnerable because Feral-Heart was tinkered with. Nor can we confirm or deny these sites/games involvement, and it doesn't make them more or less likely to have been involved with the "hacking", we'd appreciate it if you users understand this. We'd also like to inform users not to use any stretched out characters found of their account in the game as we will start kicking/banning users found using these characters.

Finally we want to thank a lot of you fluffs for being patient with us in this matter and hanging in there while the situation has been looked into, but also supporting staff in while we had our paws busy with everything else. Your support always means a great deal. And of course a big thanks to Raz for his quick work to sort out the game so we can play it again so quickly.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we have a new system in place to take care of the game and make it more secure. This requires users to open up a new tab on our site, login with their desired account and keep the browser open during the time they play the game. This tab is one of the new security measures, and as much as it might cause more hassle to play the game, we hope that all users understand the importance of having it there. Instructions on how to use it can be found below:

-Either use this link http://feral-heart.com/login/ or click "Play Game" in the right side of the site menu.

-Login to the account you wish to play on by providing the correct details.

-Give it a minute to connect and then launch your FH game client and login through there with the same account.

-Keep the tab and browser open during the whole time you play Feral-Heart.

Questions & Answers (Q&A)

Will the login tab stay forever or will we be able to login normally again sometime?
As of now, this tab is here to stay. We understand it might not be optimal for some users and might cause some hassle, but it's for the better.

Will I be able to sign in to multiple accounts at once?
You are able to sign into several accounts at once, however you might need to use different browsers to connect to more than one account at once. Download Firefox, Chrome, Opera or any other browser of your choice and run it in tandem.

It will not let me connect to the game, why?
If you're experiencing issues it could be how your browser is currently set up. We do not allow any proxies so please disable any proxy settings you might have enabled. Also do not run the browser in incognito/private browsing mode and have cookies enabled. If you still have issues feel free to try another web browser all together. Also do keep in mind that we do not let any banned users connect to the game

That's all for now and don't hesitate to private message us on the forum if you'd have any further questions, thank you for reading.

The Feral-Heart Staff
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Hooli

• Used Napkin
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
  • uwu
    • hooiigans
    • xmanicz
    • k_tlyn99
    • View Profile
Re: Information Thread Regarding Server Inactivity And Recent Events
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:12:13 am »
Thanks for clearing everything up for everyone, Red. We all appreciate it and the hard work the staff team and especially Raz has done to take care of this whole issue. I really hope nothing like this happens again, which nobody can really be too sure about. I'll keep a look out for anything suspicious and try to report anything worth showing the staff related to this ordeal.

in-game: hooli

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:18:59 am »
Thanks for the info, Red! Thanks again to Raz and the rest of the staff<3
Farewell everyone<3

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 12:20:27 am »
Thank you for the more detailed update regarding this issue we're currently headbutting. I appreciate all the work both staff and users like myself have put into this. Keeping the users informed of the new login and much more.
I want to give a personal thank you to Hooli and Enoki who have been two of the users that have been active in the help and hack-news threads to make sure people who are having issues with the login get some help.

No matter who is behind this or why this happened, this shows we can pull through as a community.
RETIRED.

Offline StrikeHedgehog

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Shiro Kibo- The 9 year old, hyperactive Unique
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:33:41 am »
Ok. I'm willing to accept these new log in terms, as long as there is a way to stop the web page from constantly logging me out. I don't understand how proxies work on a mac, and I don't understand what I need to do in order to fix the time out issue. Could someone explain that to me?
~Knowing what your weakness is can be your greatest asset.

C.E

Offline ilovelioness2011

• Forum Newcomer
    • KaliFHunter20
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:35:41 am »
so this is going to stay forever?

Offline AbyssalRadiance

• Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:36:57 am »
Couldn't have said it better myself, Red. Good on you for making this thread, as some players were still asking repetitive questions that already had answers. This is good. There's nothing more any of us can add here, and that's good.
We thank you for all of your hard work. If anything, we should be grateful for the patience YOU STAFF MEMBERS have had with US, dealing with your own adult lives and this mess. Thank you.

For those still wondering, Cereal Soup IS completely innocent of this attack. I do not know anything about Moonrise but as far as I have looked around, they are innocent as well.

I would suggest locking the other hacking news threads now that this is here, to prevent needless replies on them.
I also thank Hooli, Enoki, and Reckless for their work.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:39:42 am by AbyssalRadiance »

Offline AbyssalRadiance

• Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:28 am »
It's going to stay for now, until further notice.

Offline ilovelioness2011

• Forum Newcomer
    • KaliFHunter20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 12:39:09 am »
It's going to stay for now, until further notice.
Thank you for the understanding I didn't understood this in till now I might just stay off FH for a while

Offline StrikeHedgehog

• Shiro Kibo- The 9 year old, hyperactive Unique
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:04 am »
Can you guys at least patch the login tab so that it doesn't constantly time out? Because everyone seems to be complaining about it the most. Intact, theres a thread dedicated to that issue. I think once that issue is addressed, I think people will be less frustrated with this new login system.
~Knowing what your weakness is can be your greatest asset.

C.E