Author Topic: International Board  (Read 16137 times)

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: International Board
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2019, 04:02:43 pm »
People go in-game to roleplayer and chatter randomly.
People go on the forums to ask for help, to advertise, to give suggestions, to discuss.

We cannot provide help, join, agree/disagree or join in on discussions we do not understand and cannot rely on Google Translate to do the translating & talking for us. Both the game and forum require different moderation that link but are equally as completely different.

Staff are not opposing the use of foreign language.
We simply encourage/advise that when bringing up a problem or discussion, it is better done in English if possible.

We moderate language in-game a lot easier because Google Translate seems to pick up on key words moreso sentences, so we can identify the use of a cuss word without actually knowing the full sentence and take necessary action based on this. What we cannot do is translate full-blown paragraphs on the forums and expect the translations that Google gives us to be completely accurate.

Before it is said, yes we could moderate the same as we do in-game on the forums by looking for key words. However, it has been demanded for years now that there is more transparency between Staff and Community but we cannot effectively do this if we do not understand when user(s) speak in other languages. Same way we cannot help.

As well as this, moderation changes. If we are to implement this idea we'd have to use languages we can all understand. If we allow one Staff member + say one member of the community (as it was suggested to have members helping out) and then both of these leave, what now? It would be an unpopular action to take the board down simply because it cannot be managed by others.

Now while I'll have to repeat again that I am not personally against the idea and a lot of Staff are not either, and as frustrating as it may be for you guys knowing we're not implementing this suggestion within a week or so of it being suggested, we have discussed the pros and cons and the more we talk about it the more that crop up. We have to make do with what we have until something can be sorted to manage foreign languages and hopefully invite more of them onto the forums.

While an "International Board" is currently not something we're planning on as of yet, we are talking about potential alternatives to manage how we communicate with people who don't know nor understand English. But we cannot open up exactly what was thought with the community until things are official and set in stone.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:05:38 pm by Scallywag »

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline ThatsNotOk

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Der Fleischkönig
    • ThatsNotOk
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 11:24:31 pm »
Time to look at this thread again after many months of rolling in the dirt

only have 1 new thing to add:

We moderate language in-game a lot easier because Google Translate seems to pick up on key words moreso sentences, so we can identify the use of a cuss word without actually knowing the full sentence and take necessary action based on this. What we cannot do is translate full-blown paragraphs on the forums and expect the translations that Google gives us to be completely accurate.

This is, actually, why I personally feel a little spicy about moderators vs non-english speakers. Would I say non-english speakers are fully demonized? Nah, not in the slightest, but here's a funny story:

I speak both French and German respectively, and while almost no one in my main group of friends is fluent, or even close to learning either language, I like to poke at them using both. This is usually teasing, or in a way unique to ourselves, I say the most absurd things I can possibly come up with.

One day, in the Grounds, I was doing this with a friend of mine, and that day, I received a warning. A very funny warning, and while I wont name what mod gave it to me, it was certainly something that made me feel slightly dead.

I was warned to stop talking about gore and graphic violence in local chat, because everything I was saying was being translated on the spot. That, to me, was funny, particularly because I was

actually talking about meat. lunch meat. the type of meat that you eat.

This arised both at the fault of Google Translate's failure, and also some bad context said mod applied wrongfully. The word I used was Fleisch. Now, flesh in english is a very gross word. In German, Fleisch is less.... Fleshy.

The point of this is, one, even in  game I dont trust Google Translate as a viable tool, as it cannot detect word context and, most importantly, slang. Secobdly, this "Big Brother" attitude really does lead to rude moments, like the one I just told.
This game reminds me of the war.

FishFried

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2019, 11:37:20 am »
Slowly bumps this because of the rule change. Apologies if this is a necro!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv