Poll

Should English be the only allowed language in General chat?

Yes, English only.
64 (67.4%)
No, any language should be allowed.
31 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Language Rule  (Read 24817 times)

FoxfangPitbull

Re: Language Rule
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 05:47:52 pm »
I am the only one so far voting any language. :-\

I believe any language should be allowed. It's anyone's fault that they can't speak English, it's not fair. If you get annoyed, TURN GENERAL OFF. Some people think it spams up the the chat, I disagree.

Spam (Verb):
"Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet."

Being such, I believe it's not spam. They are simply talking.

I know almost everyone will disagree, but this is my opinion.

I definitely agree. Because what do you think some foreign language speaking user think of english. We could be "spamming up general" in their eyes for all we know.

EDIT: This is really bad and possibly n00bish of me to say but: Language filters?
I'm not even SURE where to start with this...but erm...could it happen?

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 01:03:53 am »
no, I do not think it could xD
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline zeitgeist

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • I bid you salutations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »
I think FH is perfect the way it is I mean, Does It matter if your Spanish, Or Russian, Or even Chinese? I think not but well, I know the worlds not perfect so I know many will probably disagree but...At least i can say this aloud and feel happy abut it!  ;D
((Not ment to be offensive or hurtful in any way. ^^))
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:07:21 pm by KATIEGUINEAPIG »

Offline COOLKAT

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:42 am »
im voting for just english because sometimes i get confused of what they are saying and i dont have anything against ppl who dont speak english it just gets frustrating on what they say 

Offline spirit333

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Spidyman c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 05:30:40 am »
No, it is being racist to them. You are putting them down because they cannot speak proper english. I agree completly with Tigg. Just because they speak another language, doesn't make them ANY different. We all forget;they're people, just like the rest of us. How would you feel if you found an amazing game, but the first language was finnish and you have no idea how to read or speak it. They'd tell you the same thing as we are now in THIS game. Just because english is our first language, doesn't mean we are any more special then them. We are all equal. Not EVERYONE speaks english, it's called culture. Learning from other people, and learning that there are BILLIONS of people that speak another language. The world isn't made of english people guys. We need to look farther then ourselves once in a while. Think about it.

Offline Lupaparva

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 07:44:28 am »
Voting for English.
There is a big difference between Finnish and English: English is a global language you are supossed to know while spending time on international sites. If you want all people to hear and understand you (as you want when you write in General Chat) you have to use an universal language everyone understands.
And IF people want to write in their language (I do sometimes, too), they can use Local Chat or even better: Group Chat or Whisper.

Offline wolf444

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:29 pm »
Voting for all language, I agree with silver and Tigg. And yes, there is a difference between languages, but there is no difference between people! We are ALL people guys! You need to understand there arent JUST english people!
And mods, why bother trying to tell them to speak english when they probably can't understand you! Are they trying to annoy you? No. They are not.
I'm sorry, but you guys are being extremly, EXTREMLY short-sighted. Think about other people around the world OTHER THEN YOURSELVES!

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »
You guys should read my earlier post though which would question everyone.

I'm not sure I like to keep the general to english only, but we are infact not saying english in the game only, it's just for general chat. And yarr. Other points as well..

*Points up*
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Lupaparva

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:40 pm »
@IlanaSky: I am sorry, too, but it is also short-sighted to believe we are just thinking about ourselves. I am thinking about communication.
The mods want them to speak English so the mods can do their job and look if all user follow the rules. If they wouldn't, that would mean that you can break the rules, swear and troll as long as you don't do in English.
You are right: People ARE equal. And since English is world language and taught in almost every country nowadays, everyone who joins international sites and wants to speak with people from other countries is supposed to speak and understand it. You don't have to be "English people" to speak English (hell, I am not!). You just have to show some respect to your fellow human beings and speak in a way they can understand, so you can have a proper conservation. If you don't want to speak to people who don't speak your language, don't use the general chat.

EDIT: Btw, most of the people I know in here learned English since the second or at least third grade. So if someone of the "newer generation", who can write (and use the internet o_O) already, can't even understand a little English, it's really really strange.
(And in most international MMORPGs I played all players were encouraged to speak English in world chat.)

EDIT2: @Silver: Oh, and it doesn't have to do anything with racism anyway.
For example: Let's say world language were Esperanto and everyone had a chance to learn it just like English now. Esperanto is nobody's first language, so everyone had to learn it equally. To communicate, we had to use Esperanto, since nobody can speak every language. If we wanted the General chat to be only Esperanto, would that be racism?

And to calm all this a little bit down: In an other thread were a suggestion for different chat tabs. If that were made and we could use one for English only an other one for the other languages, would that be okay for you?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:05:30 pm by Lupaparva »

Offline spirit333

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Spidyman c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »
I don't care what you have to say to my post, It was an opinion and you didn't need to answer. You're pointing out my flaws in my post and I don't appreciate it. My opinion is my opinion, you don't need to judge it.
And just to say, Ilana is NOT being short-sigheted to think that most of us are just think about english people. She has proof, read all the comments. 95% of them are voting for english if you haven't noticed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:32:04 pm by BlueFire(Silver) »