Author Topic: New chat/bio features?  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
New chat/bio features?
« on: August 01, 2019, 04:40:46 pm »
Chat and bio upgrades
Is there a way to implement the following functions and/or mechanics into the game?:

1 Clickable links
2 Copy and paste text instead of typing it in manually
3 Chat commands, using / and what the commands shows will only appear to the player who used it, in the chat
   - Idea for commands: Chat rules (/rules), FH's website link (/web), and more (I bet you guys have better ones in mind!)

4 All language letters: ÆØÅ русский 塞爾維亞 الحروف العربية and so on
5 Chat color codes with §? It would lighten up role-plays more, for example. And make things more observable when typing long messages?

Pros and cons of each idea:

Idea 1   Idea 2   Idea 3   Idea 4   Idea 5   
Pros:
- Just generally helping you
getting to the web quickly   

- No need to type in the link manually     
into your browser anymore     
Pros:
- No need to manually type       
stuff from another place

- You can easily quote others in the chat     
Pros:
- It could guide new players     

- It can help you solving your problems: 
marshmallow characters, portal locations, etc.     

- Generally just a helpful tool     

Pros:
- It will probably attract more     
people from all over the world that way,     
letting them have the ability to     
use their national letters     
Pros:
- Most people love using colors
to express themselves!

- It could make texts easier to read
Cons:
- People might send links that violates     
the rules (inappropriate stuff)     

- If the link is too long so it
goes over the characterlimit,
it may not work,
and also flood the chat     
Cons:
- Spamming...     
Cons:
- Commands may be hard to understand for     
some who speak foreign language(?)     
or to just newbies     
Cons:
- We don't really want foreign language     
 to flood the chat (or is that fine  :-X?)     

- Most mods wouldn't know if a     
foreign speaker were saying     
something inappropriate (I think)     
Cons:
- Many people wouldn't know
how to use color codes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:00:05 am by Ellen11v »
doing what i feel like

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
Re: New chat/bio features? (thread is W.I.P)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:00:26 pm »
I pretty much agree with all of these being added. Yeah of course some of them have the potential for abuse, but they're still pretty basic chat features that are still in most other games like this. Comes down to just having the chat have proper moderation, just as it would before any implementation of these features. And all language letters is just a basic thing that should be supported.

And I love the chat command idea! I can see having a command for common issues would be useful, somewhat similar to what I see many discord servers do. (Like one that explains "why are your characters all white?", one that explains "how do i get to -map here-?", etc.)

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:40:19 pm »
Im for these ideas. While there is potential for spam and abuse - that just means people will have to
report/moderate a bit more, which is do-able. I have seen abuse with tinyurl/short links anyways. The only difference is they arent clickable.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 06:30:50 pm »
I’m all in for these ideas, thank you for sharing Ellen.
The / ? commands are very helpful and in my opinion, if the game gets more updates and features in the future, they might be necessary for folks who want to quickly look over possible tutorials without having to search for them on the Forum. A good example of this is Minecraft and with it’s many features the / ? commands come in handy.
The clickable links are also something I’d be very excited about. It would be much easier to share preset links, marking and texture pack links for people who see marshmallows, as well as different stuff  that fellow players want to share with their friends.
If a link is too long, an error could pop up that says something along the lines “This link is too long, please use a different link or choose one of the link shortening sites...” (tinyurl, etc)

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 08:11:39 pm »
It would be amazing if the game supported foreign keyboards! Lovely suggestions. +floof

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Ellen11v

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
Re: New chat/bio features?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:48:57 pm »
I've finished making the thread, sorry it's a bit cluttered at idea 5 ^^'

Thank you guys so much for the feedback, it means a lot. <3
doing what i feel like

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 11:14:23 pm »
Something that maybe could go with the foreign user chat idea, maybe different tabs for non English speakers? That way we can all be in our own chats where we can talk and understand each other without getting mixed up, and it could be easier for non English speaking mods to moderate said chats. Although it maybe be hard because there would have to be quite a few and it would clutter up things and just generally be a mess on the front of appearance and access.

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:47 am »
The only ones I really see working the best would be 4/5

I personally like the idea of 5 a lot for roleplay purposes, however I think it would be much more suitable if it were only for "groups", for example if the whole "group organization" idea I've seen thrown around a lot. (where groups can have "sub-groups" and "leaders" and such for said sub-groups).

Maybe 5 would work well if it were a personal color code thing people could change in their settings, like change up all their own colors for their own look. If you get what I mean? People edit their GUI and layout and such, so it would be neat if they could also change their colors as well. (I know fonts are able to be changed) Of course this would only affect your game and not everyone else.

I love the idea of a lot of these, have a feeling a lot could be really abused & cause a lot of trouble.
artwork by dehvina

Offline FrostNight

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Elon Musk pls return my calls uwu
    • iFrostNight
    • Frost Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:19:15 am »
I think tags would be cool. Like an abbreviation of a group, but would only be possible to have if you actually were in said group?

Malakai [CCC]: blahblahblah
Mort [LxMG]: bloobloo

In my head I think of something like Call of Duty clan tags. It would keep people from having to use up space for their characters' names, and keep people from posing as being in a group they're not (something we had a sometimes in the CCC, and they'd often be doing things our group didn't approve of). Maybe in some tab of the group, the creator could designate what the tag would be, if they even wanted one at all.

Probably too complicated to actually implement but bblfbeflblfbllluh

Offline Ellen11v

• Elder Grey Pelt
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 09:31:21 am »
1, There is a pretty big risk of inappropirate stuff being sent which can not be  moderated.
2, Might be handy.
3, Commands were brought up before, but I feel like they would just make things more confusing. I see no point in making commands for things which can be done easily using the gui, and as for others (rules, help, etc) I would suggest adding a button in the escape menu for example.
4, As far as I'm concerned this is already planned. (In the chat, but not in login credintals)
5, Would give users the ability to express themselves better,  but it would mess up chats since people would have a hard time figuring out which chat room they are in.
1. But many other onlind openworld games have this feature? So how do they operate it?  ???
2. I think so too :D that’s good to hear.
3. Seems like your idea is more thorough than mine. I just got the idea because it’s popular in some other games ofc. But it’s fine :)
4. I’m glad <3
5. Are you sure it would mess it up? They can see which chat tab they’re in by looking at the button that is in the down left corner of the chat box, right? And the name tags’ colors should stay the same as the following chat section, meaning for example in local chat, names would still stay white. It’s only the messages’ colors that are changable. If users would still get confused, they woul
d learn it shortly over time, they may just ask if they get confused :) I honestly don’t see this feature as a problem.
Thanks for your feedback xSpirit.

Something that maybe could go with the foreign user chat idea, maybe different tabs for non English speakers? That way we can all be in our own chats where we can talk and understand each other without getting mixed up, and it could be easier for non English speaking mods to moderate said chats. Although it maybe be hard because there would have to be quite a few and it would clutter up things and just generally be a mess on the front of appearance and access.
That’s a great idea, I’m sure the well dedicated staff would find a way to moderate it. :)
The only ones I really see working the best would be 4/5

I personally like the idea of 5 a lot for roleplay purposes, however I think it would be much more suitable if it were only for "groups", for example if the whole "group organization" idea I've seen thrown around a lot. (where groups can have "sub-groups" and "leaders" and such for said sub-groups).

Maybe 5 would work well if it were a personal color code thing people could change in their settings, like change up all their own colors for their own look. If you get what I mean? People edit their GUI and layout and such, so it would be neat if they could also change their colors as well. (I know fonts are able to be changed) Of course this would only affect your game and not everyone else.

I love the idea of a lot of these, have a feeling a lot could be really abused & cause a lot of trouble.
I don’t mean to disagree, I just think my idea 5 would work as well as it’s stated. Using it freely. I don’t see what would mess it up, is all :) But I still like how you come up with your own ideas, Likuu.
I think tags would be cool. Like an abbreviation of a group, but would only be possible to have if you actually were in said group?

Malakai [CCC]: blahblahblah
Mort [LxMG]: bloobloo

In my head I think of something like Call of Duty clan tags. It would keep people from having to use up space for their characters' names, and keep people from posing as being in a group they're not (something we had a sometimes in the CCC, and they'd often be doing things our group didn't approve of). Maybe in some tab of the group, the creator could designate what the tag would be, if they even wanted one at all.

Probably too complicated to actually implement but bblfbeflblfbllluh

I think that would be pretty cool too, although what if somebody would just use that extra space to complete their character’s name? thinkface.jpg

doing what i feel like