Author Topic: Suggestion On Locking Threads  (Read 1777 times)

Online D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
Suggestion On Locking Threads
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:03:41 am »
If this has been posted somewhere or already been done then feel free to lock this please!

But i've noticed that threads are still getting bumped after months of not being touched and I know it shows a notification in red on the thread saying that
the thread has not been posted in after a certain amount of days...

What if the thread could be automatically locked without the staff members having go through and lock every non-active threads from months to years ago
[if it's even possible i mean it may not be but i mean what if ;w;] and only moderators and the thread owner could still post.
Once the owner of the thread posts in it the thread will become automatically unlocked until the certain amount of days hits [since i read somewhere it's only okay
to bump a thread if it's your own thread.]
As it may help threads not be neglected since people still continue [not meaning to i think] to post on threads that are no longer active.

Ahh just a thought!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:07:18 am by D-ead7Dog »

Artwork (c) Lynxbrush & CosmicFatality

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion On Locking Threads
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 05:20:09 am »
Hey there D-ead7Dog :)

Thank you for your suggestion! Funny thing is that I had actually suggested in long ago myself ^^

To start off, it’s not a bad idea at all, however there’s a few reasons why it probably wouldn’t work the way intended. If this system was implemented in the way I believe you’re suggesting, it would make it that threads that haven’t been posted in for a set amount of time (be it weeks, months, or years) would automatically lock themselves.

The thing is even threads that haven’t been posted in in a while (be in weeks, months, or years) could still be relevant and interesting enough to bump up in certain circumstances. Example: A great tutorial or map/preset/mod etc thread that people want to recommend or praise the poster for. Another Example: Maybe there’s an interesting old discussion topic that someone would want to bring back without having to create a new thread for. If old threads like these were automatically locked due to lack of recent post activity others may miss out on their content as they continue to fall back among the forum pages.

I actually discussed this a bit in this thread:

https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62227.0

Basically the decision of whether to lock an old/inactive thread or not has always been on an individual case scenario, so a system like this would simplify the process in a way that would generalize it down too much. Age/post inactivity alone couldn’t be the sole factors that trigger the locking of old threads, since those reasons alone aren’t enough to lock a thread.

If it was even possible to implement something like this system on the forum maybe it could be refined to certain boards like the Help boards since bumping of old/long inactive threads wouldn’t really make sense there. Maybe threads could automatically be locked after a number of months since help threads usually don’t go past several months without answering. Although I only see this as possibly working in the Help boards bumping is rarely enough of a problem in those boards to even really consider it a problem.

It might not be the best system for our forum. We appreciate your feedback and idea though! <3

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:21:56 am by LordSuragaha »

Online D-ead7Dog

• AFK NPC
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • BUMPY SNOW
    • D-ead7Dog
    • d-ead7dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:03:03 pm »
Ohh! Okay I gotcha! My bad I didn’t see your thread about it!
Since you’ve already had a thread posted about this and it won’t work this can be locked~ XD

Thank you for letting me know Sura! ;w;

Artwork (c) Lynxbrush & CosmicFatality

Originally registered January 15, 2011

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:39 am »
No worries Dead :3 <3 And sure thing.