Author Topic: Portals.  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Portals.
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:20:10 pm »
I was talking with AlphaEclipse just a few minutes ago, and I agreed with it whole-heartedly.
she gets credit bb

The idea is simple:

Add additional portals to Lonely Cave to potentially boost the population of the lesser-used maps.

Bonfire used to be a gathering place for everyone. It was easy to access and the old spawn point. It had history and a reputation. Now it's out of the way, hard to find[even if you know the way], and very very very dead.

A simple solution would be to add portals to these maps[Kiwimbi, Cherika, Bonfire] from the spawning map.
Not all of them if you want to keep a sense of exploration, but definitely a couple more waypoints would be useful. Especially for newer or returning players.

The old Lonely Cave was able to circumvent the dead maps[mostly] due to immediately showing you the 4 main pathways to access all the maps:
Ascension Island[Sky's Rim]
Ficho[Bonfire - Fluorite > Temple of Dreams]
Cape of Distant Worlds[Fluorite > Temple of Deams - Modded Maps]
South Pole[Atlantis > The Last Cave]

Currently the main way to get to any map is The Grounds. But that's only for a few of them, and many of these maps intersect in confusing ways. Kibou and Cherika are dead in part because they are absurdly difficult to get to, and are super out of the way of where the people are.
Seaside Grove you can access immediately but it doesn't go anywhere save for The Grounds. You'd think you could get to Kiwimbi Beach from there, since, y'know... Ocean. Or an alternate route to Bonfire Islands.
But it doesn't.

So there's two ways to go about this:

Just organize map portals so some of them are not as hard to get to, save for the ones where it should take you time to 'earn' the privilege of finding.

And/or add additional portals at the start to better convey the different intersections leading to the different maps.

Have a nice day.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Fonzie

Re: Portals.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:44:38 pm »
i completely agree with this, but i do understand why they're the way they are, and that's likely to force people to explore. although after you've found everything for the first time i can see running around getting quite old. i'd love it if they were at least a little closer to each other to avoid the latter. hopefully this is taken into consideration.

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:22 pm »
i will rprt u 4 idea stealin

In all seriousness, obviously I wholeheartedly think this would be a great idea to implement as it would hopefully spread crowds to less popular maps worthy of some love, especially those that could be considered difficult to reach, such as Zama Grotto and Cherika Valley. As Jango said, do not include all portals in order to force exploration, but giving more access points would seriously help take stress off of seasoned players looking to reach an "outskirt" map.

It is by no means urgent, but it's something to think about when considering placement of maps in future updates.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:03:26 am »
Hi yes I enjoy this idea a lot. I never even thought of this myself, but it would be amazing. Lonely Cave combined with "Portal Island" that a few IT servers I know of have.

Offline Kahbloom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • Happy Camper
    • Kahbloom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:00 am »
I quite like this idea!
Although, yeah, it might take some of the fun out of exploring, I think that it would boost activity in some of the less-populated maps!
Please say hello if you see me in-game!
kahbloom.deviantart.com

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:10:20 am »
This is actually a thing I mentioned to Raz in some discussions for helping spread people out through the maps more. I totally agree with this and I strongly believe this is an idea that can actually help a lot. Unfortunately I can't make any promises as to exactly what design ideas will be accepted into the next patch as that's not solely up to me. I will make sure that this idea and thread of yours gets brought to the attention of the right eyes when the time comes again though <3. Thanks for your suggestions!

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:03:32 am »
That’s actually a really great idea! It has my full support definitely. I hope to see it in the future.

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Notorious.

• Cinnamon Roll
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • Noto for short
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »
This is honestly quite the interesting idea
As already stated from the previous comments, by doing this, it'll help bring activity to the other maps that are hardly being used. If the idea of adding more portals to Lonely Cave does get implemented into the game in the future, hopefully people will use the other maps more often.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:03:51 pm »
What a neat idea! Glad to hear that it will be thoroughly discussed.

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline yourlocalcrow

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 43
  • they/them
    • View Profile
    • my deviantArt
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:08:03 pm »
This would definitely be helpful, especially to newer players! The main one I'd really like to see in Lonely Cave is a Bonfire portal that perhaps is by the waterfall. More interconnections between the related maps would also be nice (ie. Kiwimbi portal in Bonfire, Seaside portal in Kiwimbi) and create a more cohesive world.