Author Topic: To clear a few things up..  (Read 12121 times)

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
To clear a few things up..
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:35 pm »
Helpline/Censorship
To clear up the whole "Censorship" issue, Razmirz didn't choose to remove the helpline thread because of the user posting it.
FeralHeart simply does not want to be held responsible if a user doesn't get help.
The mental help works in very many different ways, depending on the country you're in.
We've got nobody who is educated to advice in such a situation what anyone should do.
Therefore, we feel we should not make posts that seem like official advice, as it may misguide our users.

GDPR Law/Deleting accounts
To set records straight regarding the apparent breach of the GDPR law.
Once a user is banned, we have the right to refuse the said account to be deleted.
This is because we are actively using that information to uphold the ban.
Once the ban ceases, the user is more than welcome to delete their account.

For further information on this policy, please look HERE
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:04:07 pm by PrettyReckless »
RETIRED.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: To clear a few things up..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:30:31 am »
I would like to express my utmost gratitude to you all for your patience. The reason I took so long to respond is to make sure I approached you all with a clear well rested mind. It wasn’t my intention to make you feel as though you were being ignored or as if I was avoiding the issue. Anyone who knows me around here knows I’m rarely one to not be outspoken about matters, and that includes my own mistakes and short comings.

The recent tensions that arose are a result of actions I took against fellow community members a few days ago.

I considered my actions as a justified response to thwart a further escalation of the events at the time. Having had more time to personally reflect on the matter I believe I could have responded in a way that was positive and more well deserving for everyone involved. While I did consult with the team on the matter it was I who made the final decision to orchestrate things. I acted against my better judgment and for that I am deeply ashamed. I know I could have done better to protect the rest of the staff and community from needless trouble and upset. My actions reflected poorly not just on my own judgement but had the additional consequence of negatively representing my team and what we stand for.

As a member of staff since 2012 I made a pledge to serve and protect the community, but as of recently I have failed to do such and for that I am deeply sorry. I’m aware that it is not enough to simply apologize though. While I acknowledge my mistake I must work hard to learn from it and look to do better in the future, and that is what I intend to do from today onward. As a start, the undeserving bans will be lifted.

I’m sorry to all those I have let down and hurt.

I respect if some of you decide not to accept my apology or have lost trust in me. I deserve that. But even still that will not stop me from working to renew myself for you.

Offline LaughingWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 51
  • Bumpy snow
    • JaceLaughingWolf.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:57:41 am »
I'm pretty sure most of those removals were for years and I'm pretty sure, that holding onto that information when asked for it to be deleted, is illegal. Regardless of the reason that party wants it removed, you don't get to keep it.

The breach was when one of you decided to show off that information, not the fact you'd had access to it. That much is known as you're moderation staff.

Secondly, the thing about a self help thread like that, is it isn't so much advice as it is equal access for those who can't access them otherwise. Whether that be due to familial-pressure, inability to seek help in other traditional means. They were ONLY a reference, not advice-giving. That post was a "Here is this info in case you need it," not a "You should probably use this info if you're ... " there is a large difference between the two. How the hell would anyone even track that down anyway? Prove that they looked at an obscure forum post and not get help? That just.. the logic behind that still confounds me.

The fact that it took y'all 6mos to notice it was even there, is just amusing to me. It just shows how dead the forums really are. I'm not even requesting you reinstate the information. I just think that's a stupid reason to remove it.

As for you, Sura, the jury is still out on that. Decisions were made, actions were taken, and you can't take that back, even if you do reinstate some of those users. Your trust is gone at this point.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:06:47 am by LaughingWolf »

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:01:58 am »
I think an important thing to take away from part of this is that Sura apologized, she reversed the bans, and we are all trying to move forward. I know this apology may not be accepted because yes, decisions and actions were made that can't be taken back in an emotional capacity, but for now we need to continue to try and push ahead~

You are amazing <3

wolfdog01

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 01:34:57 am »
Thank you staff for letting us know something. Not everyone will accept the apologies and explanations they have been asking for, but I think it was good of ya'll to come out and say something about it. FH is still alive as long as there are people to play it. People make mistakes and this game is not a matter of life or death, but hopefully some people will be satisfied enough.

Leafwolf

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 01:54:08 am »
Hello!

This is ShaaBAM, I mean't to get on that one but I've been having some issues lol

Its day 4 and I still have the same question- why were my friends banned?

I've been waiting for a response but nothing has come. No-one has given a direct answer, and I'm still here waiting on day 4 of asking.

Also, please don't respond with "to stop escalation", because some weren't even responding. Some were only looking. I would be very grateful if you could read this over, because it documents everything.

Link removed by moderator.-

Apologies are nice, but still with no answer is very concerning! Thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:28:30 am by PrettyReckless »

Offline Falconry

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • here, queer, full of fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 02:34:29 am »
Regarding the helplines, you have to know that's nonsense. "We don't want to be held responsible if someone doesn't get help. So we removed the resources someone could use to get help" and ""It looks offical""? It's a suicide hotline number. You see them posted on the walls in train stations, you can host some on your website. You won't get sued. That's ridiculous.

For Sura? Yeah, no. Just going on a ban-spree in response to people asking very civil questions and all we get is an "I'm sorry"? What were you trying to prevent from escalating? There was no escalating until you started locking threads and banning people.

I'm gonna need more than "I'm sorry I'll do better." I need you to step down. You banned people who weren't even participating.

As for the GDPR guidelines, while you are within your rights to keep the data to uphold a ban, you must provide a concrete way to contact you to request account deletion. Just because you can choose to keep the data does not revoke one's right to request it deleted anyway. I suggest having an email or something, as I've looked and there is no real directions on who and where to contact about it.

Also you're on shaky grounds with that to begin with, because we know you can just do an I.P ban, and I fail to see how you need someone's account to just block their I.P

----

All in all, a horrible ''apology'' and it seems like nothing's going to change. Congrats on messing up something this simple, I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:36:38 am by Falconry »

Offline Falconry

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • here, queer, full of fear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 02:42:25 am »
Oh, and let's not forget Sura publicly posting someone's supposed alternate accounts/doing an I.P search and posting the (censored) results. Quite threatening and in horrible taste.

ZombieKitteh

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:33:54 am »
I've been debating posting for some hours now that I'm unbanned. I'm not going to lie it gave me really bad anxiety and still does. I feel posting something is needed, however. It'd feel wrong not to. And so here I am. I'm not a petty person. I'm not here to argue or throw up a fuss. I hadn't even posted on any of the other threads before I was banned. Being honest I haven't even posted or been on these forums or the games since May. You can use my post history as proof of that. I wasn't part of the initial issue and I still don't plan to be.

Do you know how long I've been supportive of Feral Heart? Since 2011 when I joined. I was here when Kovu was. I saw wings be added, groups be fixed. I've seen staff come and go and everything in between. Have I always been happy with how things are here? Not entirely. Was I vocal years long past? Yes. Feral Heart is a game and I see it as such, but it's also a nice cluster of nostalgic memories that I've held dear over the years. So I've stuck around, mellowed out as the years have gone by. Heck, my roleplay group still has a child board up on these forums.

FHU gave me a passion and a chance to work with a community and game I've always loved for a long time. I still feel that way. Since getting on the FHU team I haven't made much of a peep here. I've lurked, but rarely posted aside for my roleplay group. And what happened? I was banned, by association... and that stings. It still does. I felt targeted unfairly and still feel rather uncomfortable and anxious.

I will say the apology is appreciated, even if it still sort of stings. It takes a big person to admit their wrong and apologize. I can appreciate that. Bloo as well the other day on that other thread. It's a step in the right direction for FH. I'm proud of you.

I'll be civil as I have been. I have no ill-will towards any of you. Disappointment and hurt, but not hatred. Thank you for unbanning me. While it's appreciated I'm still highly anxious and uncomfortable on this forum and game. I'll be taking my leave. My one alt has already been deleted and in the following days this main account of mine will too after I make a formal farewell thread.

Despite this supposed 'rivalry' between our games (which I don't see from our side, but I'll agree to disagree) I wish you all and FH the best in the coming future. Once you hit the lowest you can only go up from there.

Goodluck.

(PS If possible I still request my name be removed from the spring news post as I was never staff here. That'd be highly appreciated to help with my anxiety)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:35:47 am by ZombieKitteh »

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • https://rookfox.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 05:13:10 am »
I wasn't going to reply but it felt weirder not to.  I'd like to say though that what I'm saying right now is my personal thoughts and I don't speak for FHU staff/devs etc, I haven't even told them I'm proper replying.  Because people were previously banned for mere association I wanted to get that out of the way.  I acknowledge at some point I can still be held liable for my opinions because of my association, so I won't be replying anymore beyond this, and am okay with being banned again.  I accept that.  I just want SOMEONE to read this.

The worst that would have happened was someone saw it and didn't use it and moved on.  The best was that someone who isn't privileged enough to have been given resources in their lifetime as you guys may have, may have used it in a heated moment.  FeralHeart is a game that caters to people who do not have people to turn to.  That is why FH and FHU have a userbase- albeit small- when all you can do right now is chat to people.  I mean I personally turned to feralheart because I was super lonely and people spread rumors about me and bullied me.  I mean not to sound pitiful, but you can't tell me this isn't a game that people turn to when they have little else to turn to, especially in 2020 when other free social games like fortnite, guild wars, star wars, and literally anything on the steam free to play list exist.
The reason I'm not letting this go when Sura was kind enough to issue an apology is for a few reasons.  The main one being I care for this community, and I don't think it should be co-headed by someone who argues over having something as simple and as mundane as a helpline thread up.  Second, because I just saw a link was removed after we JUST had a whole thing about censorship, and it was in pair with a genuine question.  A link was removed, but no answer to it given?  Next, your reasoning for not deleting user accounts is to uphold bans and maintain their IP ban.  This would be fair, if the users in question weren't unfairly banned in the first place.  They wanted to drop this whole thing and have their accounts deleted so as to move on to other things and leave you to your own devices, it feels like not deleting is a prideful thing, and a thing that can actually get you into legal trouble.  Fortunately for you, people care little to enforce law over a dusty corner of the internet, but forgetting that... its just wrong from a moral standpoint.

I feel like it's evident that this isn't about the existence of a thread, but rather the execution and reaction to it being questioned.  The fact that no one sees that this goes FAR beyond whether or not you should have deleted a thread is part of your festering problems.

moving on from that,

To Sura:
Thank you for your apology and for lifting my ban.  That was very kind of you.  I also thank you for bringing me onto the team to make the jungle map.  It meant a lot to me, and it still does, given how much I love this little game.  I apologize it fell through and I hope you gain another map maker for it if you haven't already.  I don't regret choosing to work for another team, since they have more elbow room and had a bit more communication.  I  think that original FH could have a lot more success if only there is more communication between all the developers to give them a sense of unity.  Having that sort of unity and room to also just chat with each other is really inspiring and lifts some pressure.   I thank you for talking to me and giving me input during the time I was working with you, but I have to say it was extremely intimidating.  I really think you guys could do with just... hanging out, chilling out, being friends with your community more.  They won't dogpile on you when things go wrong if you do that.  If you've been doing that lately then please forgive me for that criticism, I haven't been on for a week or two. I understand you have a job and task at hand before that, but it seems like for a long time that heavy enforcement has been the primary focus, and it doesn't need to be, especially with such a declining community.  This has created a rift, I know I'm not the only long time user who feels this way, and that rift snowballed into this situation and the unnecessary drama.  We have to admit it's silly at some point.  This is just a small little glorified chatbox, at the end of the day.
   I say this in front of people because I roasted you in front of people with the community comment, and I don't think either of us want that impression to stick and for it to only be acknowledged behind closed doors.  Hope that makes sense?  I also feel I might get banned again so I wanted to say something to you because I don't feel like making the effort to try and get unbanned, I'm frankly just tired.  I hope I don't seem insincere, but it felt less sincere in my eyes to just DM.
----

the best apology is changed behavior.  It's easy to be on the outside and think that all of this is silly and people can either take or leave the apology, when you aren't someone who was banned for essentially nothing from a game you've contributed free work, time, effort, probably even tears to.
The decisions can't be taken away, correct, but they can be reflected on.  It's really hard to look up to an administration that is so inconsistent, and before it's userbase too.  I may be moving on to other projects but the reason I comment and critique here is because my heart will still always lay with this one.

I will accept the apology, but not yet.  I will accept it with change, and with a link being immediately censored, I didn't see that.

I think I do speak at least here for FHU staff when I say that literally no one wants this to end more than us, but the reason we had such heavy public involvement is for the same reason we've created FHU which is because we care.  And also because it was just wrong, as pointed out and acknowledged already.  I don't think the game will improve if people who give critique or speak out are talked down to by fellow members for doing so, much less if they are banned.  I feel like that's less helpful than the critique, albeit some harsh, because critique is at least something you can work with and mold.
 That's an assumption of mine but I mean I can't say that at 20 years old I want to be writing out a forum post on a furry forum over avoidable drama.

As Zomb said, I really do wish you guys luck, I still love this game and I acknowledge it is the original.  I don't see a real rivalry between us because there's no reason to choose either or game except purely on personal preference, but I do think that the banning sort of re-affirmed that belief that there is a rivalry, and before our communities too which is just.. really sad, and something we can't take back when it happened before everyone.  It's hard to take that back even with an apology, you should realize. 
 We both want the same thing, we both want to give back to a community that has given us so much, let's remember that and move on as suggested.  I hope you make something out of this learning experience for the sake of this beloved little game.  Thank you for contributing your time to it as you have, particularly the staff who have been able to admit faults here.

quick edit: * I say banned again because I know that I can be seen as escalating the situation, which is fair, but it would feel more wrong to not say something and this is likely the last post I'm ever gonna make here so I wanted it to have some genuine thoughts on this for the staff to see coming from a user whose been here since 2011/2012.  I don't mean to automatically assume the staff will do the worst for no reason.))

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:16:51 am by leda »
find me in game as user leda, or see my feral heart dA, rookfox.deviantart.com !