Poll

Should English be the only allowed language in General chat?

Yes, English only.
64 (67.4%)
No, any language should be allowed.
31 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Language Rule  (Read 24813 times)

Khloe

Re: Language Rule
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
English is pretty much a international language, it is used world wide so I think that is why it is english only. Also, general is the only thing required to have to be in english because I think it is so every player can interact with each other and not become confused. I think it keeps people from bad mouthing each other and other non game related issues. Isn't this a englished based game? If so, then if you come to play on this game you are expected to know english right? I'm new to FH so I am not up to date on everything so I apologize if I am wrong on anything.

Tbh though, I usually turn off general because people for some reason love to talk constantly on there about random stuff. Yesterday some people decided "IT WAS COOL TO SPEAK IN ALL CAPS!" I think all spam should be taken care of no matter what language. Keep it english so  players can commuicate with each other so they can get help. Even though most of the stuff is just random stuff that isn't relevant to anything really.

Perhaps in the future FH can have servers where it can be for people in different countries. Like UK, Germany and all those other countries so people can speak their own language. Though it might not ever happen or will take a long time because something like that would take a while to set up.

Shelby

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 09:19:26 am »
... I really dislike this.

I really dislike the results I'm seeing up there.

I feel as if this is a form of... what, discrimination? Segregation? It's like saying, "No African Americans are allowed to post in the General Chat."

I'm not saying anything against African Americans, I'm just saying that.. there are other people in this world and they might not speak English. It isn't right that they can't be allowed to talk in General. It's like saying, "Hey, you don't speak English. Either learn it or you aren't good enough to post here." It just goes against my moral code and I feel that if this is a rule that is passed... well, I'm going to lose a LOT of respect for the people that enforce it. It just isn't right.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 09:47:59 am »
... I really dislike this.

I really dislike the results I'm seeing up there.

I feel as if this is a form of... what, discrimination? Segregation? It's like saying, "No African Americans are allowed to post in the General Chat."

I'm not saying anything against African Americans, I'm just saying that.. there are other people in this world and they might not speak English. It isn't right that they can't be allowed to talk in General. It's like saying, "Hey, you don't speak English. Either learn it or you aren't good enough to post here." It just goes against my moral code and I feel that if this is a rule that is passed... well, I'm going to lose a LOT of respect for the people that enforce it. It just isn't right.

This is a current rule. This old thread is about whether or not it is fair and if it should be revised.
English is currently the only language allowed in General chat, although other languages are allowed in local or private.

There are two arguments here ( and my view on them):

1. It should be English only, as the moderators speak English and to be properly able to moderate they need to understand what is being said. This is being said to everyone, and for all the mods know the person could be cussing someone out, or saying hello. While in some cases it would be obvious someone is saying something productive, like an advertisement for a roleplay in Spanish, but in some cases people could just be saying nonsense, or it could look like nonsense to a mod. FH is too small to have several mods that are multilingual, so it takes away some of the already feeble authority the mods have. By having it English only, it prevents awkward language related issues, and prevents misunderstandings

2. It should be allowed on general, everyone should have the right to speak their own language, even if the game is in English. This will allow the worldwide community to flourish, and will create a more comforting environment for those who do not speak English comfortably. In my personal opinion, allowing this way would actually ENCOURAGE racisim within the game. If someone started speaking in French in general I would imagine people would just tell them to get lost. I personally believe this is wrong, however we are dealing with a community that will Butt swing themselves all over you should you lay down for 3 minutes. Perhaps English only would protect the community from worse bullying. HOWEVER in a perfect game I'd like to see the English on rule lifted, but only when the mod team is strong enough to deal with the resulting racial slurs that will follow those speaking their native languages.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:45 am »
  Agree with Sameth. Shelby, for the moment, this rule is needed. There is so much to handle, trying to handle the same issues in different languages would be hard. For now this is needed, and has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with racism as well. Are you going to say it's secregation that the workers in a bank in america or Australia or england can't deal with customers that don't speak their language? It isn't. This rule is needed for now, and personally I would like to see it go one day, but ONLY when the moderating team is able to handle it and there are moderators on taht can understand ALL languages. I mean, if the moderating team can't understand a word these people are saying, for all we know they could be swearing and actually spamming without knowing.

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 06:45:37 am »
I know this is old, but saw this and was somewhat disturbed by it.

This seems to be a highly discriminatory rule, seeing as there are players from all around the world, and languages vary. Other languages being said are as much spam as the English comments on there anyway. I've been on many mmos where the moderators speak a primary language, and everyone was allowed to speak their own language.
   If they needed a mod's help, it wasn't their fault if they didn't speak the same language,  not much you can do. If members didn't understand the other language, they could just mute the player and move on instead of griping. In fact, one server was mainly Mandarin Chinese, and English players weren't bashed out of talking in the main chats. If it was the same here, I'd bet all the English speakers would be up in arms if only Spanish speakers, or Polish speakers could use the general chat.
     It seems somewhat disturbing to me that people so readily found this acceptable on here. Even if this was produced in an English-speaking country, it was distributed on the internet, which is worldwide. I'm sure this makes it easier for the moderators (albeit I haven't seen any on the game in quite a long time), but that doesn't make it right.

Are you going to say it's secregation that the workers in a bank in america or Australia or england can't deal with customers that don't speak their language?
    I understand the thought behind this, but I don't think it really doesn't hold ground with the situation at hand. When you're in a certain country, you are expected to know its language to a certain extent of course. You go up to someone in a store and start speaking Polish in California you're going to have a very confused employee. But this game is beyond just one country, it's far more diverse than that. Anything that dips its fingers in the international community has to accept that all language needs will have to be met, that's how the game goes. Those that don't play it are typically called discriminatory and lose the respect of the international community.

Edit: I find this especially contradictory when the forum is in 2 different languages. :/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:55:05 am by Windance »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 07:33:26 am »
This thread should be locked away because this rule will stay at current date, and is in fact needed. I will quote what I've written in this thread earlier to show the reason of "why" it is just as right to have this rule as others can see it's unfair.

I do honestly not know which side I stand on here.

But just a thinker for everyone out there no matter what.

If the users doesn't even understand the slight of the English language..

How do we know they read/understand any of the rules that exist for the game?

How do we know they actually follow the rules and terms given that everyone else must follow no matter what? Some mods and rules here are rather strict, and if they don't even understand when they're warned for an action they're doing it's 100% their cause if they end up getting kicked off the server.

It shouldn't matter if they don't understand them if everyone else that does must follow them. We can't just give them an exception, and even though I have a rather small vocabulary when it comes to other langs I catch people saying swears in other langs fairly often actually.

Maybe tolerance will be needed from some of the users in the game when it comes to other languages in the chats. Local is fine and all, but since this is general chat we're most likely talking about now I can see how both parties have a valid point.

Kicking and banning someone for speaking their language does sound wrong, but kicking and banning someone that doesn't follow the given rules doesn't. I personally think that stopping people from using the general chat in another language would be just as hard as stopping the trolling/pointless crap people write in english.

Rule for only english in general I'm not sure about if I'd like to see. But making it a situation where using the "not understand warnings" as an argument feels kinda dry to me since every user should follow the given rules even if we add a new one.
Former community manager of FeralHeart