Poll

How and in what ways do you use/like animal objects?

I think any use of animal objects is fine.
I think animal objects as small details are fine.
I don't use them at all.

Author Topic: How do you feel about animal objects in maps?  (Read 3070 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
How do you feel about animal objects in maps?
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:24:30 am »
I'm just curious how often people use animal objects in maps. Would they only do something small like the butterfly in Eastern Pass, or make a whole flock of sheep despite them not moving/having only in-place animation?

I think they look nice, but awkward. Wouldn't ever stop me from liking a map though.

Offline Ame88

• ❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄✧❄ Winter is a .' - ` , ' - . ` timeless ' , ` - '. ` , - ' . season. - ', - ` , ' - . ` , Everything ' , ` - . ' , ` . freezes. `_,_'_-_._`_,_-
  • Admin
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 216
  • Yeah I believe in Bigfoot. Nessi and Kovu too!
    • Ame88thewolf
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about animal objects in maps?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:37:09 am »
Personally I have no issues with them. I don't like using them myself because I can never really find good places for them, but that's probably because I haven't messed with them a lot. However when it comes to another person's map, they never stop me from disliking it. If anything it helps add to the atmosphere if used correctly~

Profile picture by Telluric
Thank you ;u;
Bio | My Creations
Renegade Row | FeralHeart Resort

Offline VortexAlive

• Eevee Knight
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 180
  • A wild floof has appeared!
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • VortexAlive
    • View Profile
    • VortexAlive is Rawrsome
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 03:25:40 am »
I don't personally use them for maps I make. But I do think using them is great for the map makers out there that would want to make it clear where certain animals exist in their maps. In some cases it may even look better with them. c:
For the sake of my own health and interests, I've left FH and I won't be looking back.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 05:10:07 am »
When it comes to my own personal maps I usually only like to use very small specific types of animal meshes since I’m a bit bothered by the stiff animals. Something about the stiff animals really ruins the feeling of the map for me since they feel more like dolls or literal objects rather than living creatures in the map. The cases where I usually use animal meshes are cases where they’re either small and unnoticeable, or animal that can pass as being regularly stiff (like insects, or a frog sitting on a lily pad, or duck floating still on the surface of the water).

When it comes to other peoples’ maps I don’t mind them even though the stiffness really ruins the immersion, however they can help to be a tangible sort of back drop for a roleplay. Example it helps to have a few deer/elk meshes scattered around in a forest map if you’re in a wolf pack roleplay and writing about a hunt or something ^^

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 07:27:40 am »
I put animated ones where you can reach them.  And static ones in the far distance so they don't seem stiff.

That's just me though.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:51 pm »
Ehh not a big fan.

Art by QuietMacaroni

ungodlycoyote

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 09:27:11 pm »
as said by a few others before me, it won't put me off a map, but it's not something i do. particle animals however, like fish or butterflies or birds, are a-okay in my books - static meshes are fine for screenshots but they really break the immersion for me when it comes to exploration.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 10:19:55 pm »
particle animals however, like fish or butterflies or birds, are a-okay in my books

Forgot to mention that in my own post. I actually like particle animals but again only in certain circumstances since the movement of the particles scrolling can quickly turn weird or repetitive unless it’s something like an insect buzzing around, fishes swimming in loops, or just something that can work with the looping and not just look odd. Also things that can pass for being flat lol... so I think small animals are best. I feel like bird particles can work too if they’re placed out of bounds or just far off so the effect doesn’t get ruined when you see they’re flat lol.

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 07:43:27 pm »
I’ve never made a map, or an object for that matter, but I love animal/creature objects :D
Know that T-rex at the enteance of the FH Cinema map? I like to pose around it and take funny selfies. :3
doing what i feel like

Offline Siarczek

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 31
  • Friendly Neighborhood Environmental Scientist
    • siarczek
    • siarczek-art
    • siarczki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 11:46:49 pm »
I'll be honest, I don't like them. I like the animal particles in the default FH maps, but there's just something very off-putting about larger animal objects standing still in a map, especially if they have a stiff, static pose (and the only exceptions I can even think of to this are goldchocobo's animal meshes). They won't make me stop liking a map, but I would personally never use them in my own maps.

OCs | Art | [url=https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=62880.n