Author Topic: In-Game Preset Designer  (Read 1935 times)

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
In-Game Preset Designer
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:32:45 pm »
So I know a lot of the reason this would be a thing is for the people out there like me who have no clue how to make a decent looking preset, but I thought I'd give a little idea on something that could help people when making presets.

See that little button that says "Maker" in the menu? That's what could take you to this window:

1: A live display of your character just like when in the character creator/normal preset maker where you can turn, zoom, etc. You can draw on the character, making it easier to find and get the right placement on the model.
2: A display of the preset textures, which can be also be directly drawn on.
3: Just like the other colour settings when making a character normally, this will change the brush's color.
4: Size is self explanatory, and hardness is how soft/fuzzy/faded the brush is.
5: Show the UV Map reference on both the character and the texture.
6: (Sorry I didn't make a window image for this) A place where you could add scripts and special effects like scrolling, outline, change the shading, glow, etc. Also, maybe you could apply fur (or any other material your character has) textures there, being able to import different ones if you have others downloaded.

Sorry it's a bit messy, but it was to only explain what I had in mind. In short, the idea is the ability to draw directly on the character so that you could see just what you're doing and where.

Thank ye for reading!

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: In-Game Preset Designer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:18:55 pm »
Would probably take a bit of work, but I can definitely see this as being possible. I'd honestly love an in game preset maker and having the option to just export it where people automatically see your preset without having to download the file or the preset sync.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 03:22:09 am »
I'd pay for a feature like this tbh. Preset making is such a hassle the way it works now. ;-;

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Tuike

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 09:25:11 am »
Though its a good idea their is a way to open a mesh up in blender to create your preset by drawing on it and viewing it in the game that way, gimp is also not that hard to work with personally :) especially by viewing video tutorials

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 10:33:07 am »
What about layers? When for example coloring the preset?
doing what i feel like

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 10:59:53 am »
I really like what you're getting at and it's very creative, but I don't think it's the best way to go about it?

I say this because people have their favourite art programs (gimp, sai, clip studio paint, photoshop, etc), and people have already adjusted to like and become very familiar with their art programs. If this were implemented, people would have to get used to a new way of drawing on a different platform which a majority of people have an extremely difficult time doing. I also think implementing this would more or less limit a person's preset making abilities as well, considering special coding like transparent coding, and the limitation of brushes that would/may be available in the preset maker itself.

However, to allow people to use the art programs they want it may be better to just implement a "Sync" button overall instead which a user could press after saving a preset .png image to save a bunch of time relaunching the game and whatnot.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:02:03 am by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:17:44 pm »

I have to agree with Buffy on this one, I love the idea of it and everything.. I think it would make things much easier, and maybe it'd work well if we could have that but also still be able to do presets via GIMP, Sai, Photoshop etc.
I personally wouldn't like doing it on the game as the options are extremely limited, unless "brushes" and all that were to be implemented as well.. I don't see presets coming out very.. good. I'm sure doing this would be a whole other level of coding compared to the game I feel like as well.

Other than that, the idea of this would be real cool!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:20:07 pm by Likuu »
artwork by dehvina

Offline A.P.S.

• Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 08:01:02 pm »
Sorry I haven't replied- been a busy last couple days. Thank you all though for the input!
Would probably take a bit of work, but I can definitely see this as being possible. I'd honestly love an in game preset maker and having the option to just export it where people automatically see your preset without having to download the file or the preset sync.
Probably keep with the preset sync, as many can't use it- by that, I mean, it'd be at least an option rather than a forced download that the player couldn't handle. It'd defeat the purpose of getting to choose that if it downloaded anyway.

I'd pay for a feature like this tbh. Preset making is such a hassle the way it works now. ;-;
I've never found paying for presets to be worth it- just how I am but I get it. However I could see a lot of people paying for this, even as a separate program! o:

Though its a good idea their is a way to open a mesh up in blender to create your preset by drawing on it and viewing it in the game that way, gimp is also not that hard to work with personally :) especially by viewing video tutorials

Yeah but drawing in blender is hard and complicated. Maybe for a very basic base, but it wouldn't work any better. Plus a lot of people aren't familiar with the idea of lining up the textures in any photo editor, so although I like using GIMP, it'd be nice to have a live, well made guideline of sorts.

What about layers? When for example coloring the preset?
I think layers could be done! A little spot somewhere with a scroll bar, plus (add layer) and minus (delete layer) button.

I really like what you're getting at and it's very creative, but I don't think it's the best way to go about it?

I say this because people have their favourite art programs (gimp, sai, clip studio paint, photoshop, etc), and people have already adjusted to like and become very familiar with their art programs. If this were implemented, people would have to get used to a new way of drawing on a different platform which a majority of people have an extremely difficult time doing. I also think implementing this would more or less limit a person's preset making abilities as well, considering special coding like transparent coding, and the limitation of brushes that would/may be available in the preset maker itself.

However, to allow people to use the art programs they want it may be better to just implement a "Sync" button overall instead which a user could press after saving a preset .png image to save a bunch of time relaunching the game and whatnot.

I have to agree with Buffy on this one, I love the idea of it and everything.. I think it would make things much easier, and maybe it'd work well if we could have that but also still be able to do presets via GIMP, Sai, Photoshop etc.
I personally wouldn't like doing it on the game as the options are extremely limited, unless "brushes" and all that were to be implemented as well.. I don't see presets coming out very.. good. I'm sure doing this would be a whole other level of coding compared to the game I feel like as well.

Other than that, the idea of this would be real cool!

I never said people couldn't use the original way of making presets by any means. If that were the case, it very much would be a downgrade in many ways. This would be an option for those who are new to it, don't want to put much effort into it and are okay with that, or want a base to go off of. You could easily go back and forth between the maker and an art program, too, like a save and edit method where you add more details over time across both programs.

A sync option would also be nice as well! That way it'd be much easier to do said method above.