Game & Forum Discussion > Forum Discussion

Decline of Forum Activity [What's your opinion?]

(1/4) > >>

Lucius:
Apologies if this has already been done.

This topic has been on my mind for some time now. I often mention how I think that the FH community has kind of drifted away from the forums, amongst other things, but I’d like to know why that is.

So, in the spirit of discussion, I’d like to know the community’s opinion on the following:
(Feel free to add more, these are just some questions that I thought would spark an interesting conversation)

1. Do you think that the forums today come up short in activity compared to previous years?   2. Where do you see more activity? On the forums, or in the game?   3. Do you think that newer discussion topics are lacking in replies? If so, why do you think that is?   4. Have topic ideas/subjects been exhausted? Could that be why we’re not seeing many new ones?   5. If you think the forums are less active, do you have any suggestions on how to improve activity?

Here’s my stance on all of this.

Astraea:
Very interesting topic here, Lucius!

1.       Do you think that the forums today come up short in activity compared to previous years?
Yes, I do believe it has. When I was around in the early 2011-2015 years it was bustling with activity, in-game and out.
         
2.       Where do you see more activity? On the forums, or in the game?
In-game for sure.
         
3.       Do you think that newer discussion topics are lacking in replies? If so, why do you think that is?
Some of them more than others, the main reason being some are more inclined to respond to certain ones rather than others due to being or not being interested.
         
4.       Have topic ideas/subjects been exhausted? Could that be why we’re not seeing many new ones?
I don't think so, no. I think the community is just a bit dry of opinions recently.
         
5.       If you think the forums are less active, do you have any suggestions on how to improve activity?
Okay. Change registration, at least let it be open for SET TIMES that the public knows about if is possible. More bonding events like movie nights, maybe something different to draw others in. Expand on advertising. Utilize everything! I'm sure the update will reel in some older members to the forums as well so there's some hope there. A forum update or touch up might draw some attention as well. c:

WolfQueen:
1. Do you think that the forums today come up short in activity compared to previous years?
Yes, definitely. The forums used to be really active during the first few years but since 2015 it's been more and more quieter.

2. Where do you see more activity? On the forums, or in the game?
Tbh they're kind of the same. If I have to choose then in-game. Not everyone goes on the forums, maybe like 10% of the community posts/posted here often.

3. Do you think that newer discussion topics are lacking in replies? If so, why do you think that is?
Depending on the topic replies are sent pretty quick once they're posted but die as soon as all the active forum members post.

4. Have topic ideas/subjects been exhausted? Could that be why we’re not seeing many new ones?
It's not that ideas or subjects are exhausted. I think it's pressure.

5. If you think the forums are less active, do you have any suggestions on how to improve activity?
I honestly don't know. Maybe updating it again would get some interest because tbh the forums are still a mess.
I kind of agree with what Ailuska said but I don't think advertising would do much.

turtlies:
Interesting topic! I've been thinking about this a bit myself. I'm quite interested in reading other people's responses, but here's my take on it:

1. Do you think that the forums today come up short in activity compared to previous years?
Definitely. I remember waking up in the morning and having to open a TON of tabs with threads there were new replies to. Now I'll probably open an interesting post like.. once a day. The forum used to be much more busy and active, with plenty of different people cycling in and out. Now it seems like there's just a small amount of active users who've just stayed active for the past few years, without too many new faces popping up.
         
2. Where do you see more activity? On the forums, or in the game?        
I don't go in-game too often, but it still seems most of the activity takes place in-game.

3. Do you think that newer discussion topics are lacking in replies? If so, why do you think that is?
Yeah, I'd say so. Same few members, and pretty much the same threads without many other interesting topics (it seems to mostly be intros, repetitive help threads, and forum games as of now... it's rare to see discussion threads pop up nowadays).
         
4. Have topic ideas/subjects been exhausted? Could that be why we’re not seeing many new ones?    
I'm not sure. You could probably say so, things are slow on Feralheart, there's not many new topics to discuss that haven't been discussed before. FH also has a bit of a new 'personality' ever since the update, the little funny things that made FH so memorable haven't really been around since then and aren't as endearing as they used to be (y'know, mate beggars, adoption centers, powerplayers, official TLK characters... they're around once in a while, but definitely not to the extent they were before). Used to be able to go on all day about funny experiences like that but now being in-game is just... slow, in my experience.

5. If you think the forums are less active, do you have any suggestions on how to improve activity?
Well.... a finished forum would be nice. It's been 'in progress' for at least a year or two? There was a lot of promising updates in the first few weeks, but now its just kinda at this ugly stage. Not sure if it will ever be finished or if we're just stuck with this, but I think a prettier forum with more functions that players have been asking for would draw in some more people. And the removal of those random letters and orange dots all over, they're driving me crazy lol

Otherwise, more people coming to the game means more people on the forums. Opening registration longer and removing the login page would probably help significantly with that. I'm sure another update would give a temporary boost like it did last time, but there'd have to be more than that to have those people actually stick around.

Bloo.:

1.       Do you think that the forums today come up short in activity compared to previous years?

Indeed I do, I'd say most likely due to lack of members who participate on the forums as well as lack of things to do on the forums. The help threads are few as most members by now know how to fix their own issues (again no new members who aren't sure what the nuzzle button does), contests are in short supply which keep people busy, discussion threads pertain to rather random topics or topics that have appeared so often they're no longer interesting to respond to, and just members knowing that if they do post something it might get 3 replies. Maybe.
         2.       Where do you see more activity? On the forums, or in the game?

In-game I see a more diverse number of players when it's not deadish, however the forums are populated by the same 15 members, I could probably name them off the top of my head lol There's not much here to draw in-game members to the forums.
         3.       Do you think that newer discussion topics are lacking in replies? If so, why do you think that is?

I do indeed, as I mentioned above, the discussion topics aren't necessarily as new as they are recycled or worded differently. And again, as mentioned, the same few members are the ones replying, so if they don't find it interesting they won't respond. Hence fewer replies.
         
4.       Have topic ideas/subjects been exhausted? Could that be why we’re not seeing many new ones?

The topics have been exhausted in my opinion because there's not much activity to begin with, so users, myself included, attempt to start up a discussion that we think may catch people's attention but they just don't because the forum user activity base is so low.
         5.       If you think the forums are less active, do you have any suggestions on how to improve activity?

Host more forum contests, events, take a look at the old news archives and see what worked then. Open registration as soon as it's possible. There are a lack of new members, the registration was closed because there were too many members but now there are too few.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version