Author Topic: New chat/bio features?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: New chat/bio features?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 06:31:05 pm »
Clickable links
I agree with the your pros, and generally when someone has an idea the majority of the time their intention is to usually to make things easier for others, or almost completely effortless.

If this game didn't have years of involvement with younger audiences, then I think it would be a really beneficial feature for role-play/group advertisers and people who just don't want the hassle of manually typing links into their browser. Buuuut since this isn't the case I don't think it would be safe to have considering how much more popular link posting would get with how easier it would be to do, and the type of links and sites out there, and how naive/gullible younger audiences can be. But, you have partially said/understood this already so I won't continue. I just wanted to add onto it.

If the circumstances were different, there are some ideas/ways around the cons you have listed to generally improve the negatives of the idea you have already posted. Developments that would make things safer. Not 100% "in the clear" safer, but just safer in general. From the top of my head, the ways public safety could be improved if this were to be implemented would be:

1.  Only allow clickable/active urls/links via private chats such as whisper, group, and party.
2.  Advise users in the rules to not click on any links from users they do not know, links provided randomly, or links from sites they do not know etc.
3.  Have the chat automatically block links to sites that are blocked by the game (if possible, like how the forum blocks tinypic links).
4.  Have a system where you declare your age, and users over a certain age are able to click on links. Under-aged users would see a blocked message where the link would be pasted. If users lie about their age then they are only responsible for their own actions. But I feel this would be a fairly complex thing to do.

One of your cons say "If the link is too long so it goes over the characterlimit, it may not work, and also flood the chat", but I don't think this would be a problem as there is a character limit so long links won't exceed over the character limit even if it were pasted. Unless you were thinking of something else that I'm getting lost about? xD   

But yeah, that's what I have to say about this idea in particular, and what I have to offer in terms of thinking of every possible improvement before declining the idea at first sight as people sometimes have the tendency to do.

Copy and paste text instead of typing it in manually
Along with your pros, this would help a lot with communication with non-English speakers. I also agree with the spam but if there was some sort of cool down or something that'd be good. Plus we have moderators. xD

Chat commands
Instead of /rules or the /link commands, I think an extra button for the rules on the in-game login screen would be more accessible and in-your face. But I do agree that there could be some really good use for in-game commands, and Deucalicorn and others shared some really good ones!

All language letters/symbols
Goodness this would be great. And again, like idea #2, this would help a lot with communication with non-English speakers IF users could highlight text in the chat and use copy methods to paste into a translator, and vise versa. This idea would co-exist really well with idea #2.

Chat color codes
What xSpirit said.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 07:06:05 pm »
5 Chat color codes with §? It would lighten up role-plays more, for example. And make things more observable when typing long messages?
There is another disadvantage to this other than the ones already stated. People could use a hard-to-read text color to say things that are against the rules and that would make it difficult for moderators to see what is going on in the chats. To me it's best to keep the chat colors consistent even though I know what you mean with stating the plus side to this.

Don't have much else to add.
Thank you for the ideas, Ellen!
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline FrostNight

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Elon Musk pls return my calls uwu
    • iFrostNight
    • Frost Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 03:49:46 pm »
I think tags would be cool. Like an abbreviation of a group, but would only be possible to have if you actually were in said group?

Malakai [CCC]: blahblahblah
Mort [LxMG]: bloobloo

In my head I think of something like Call of Duty clan tags. It would keep people from having to use up space for their characters' names, and keep people from posing as being in a group they're not (something we had a sometimes in the CCC, and they'd often be doing things our group didn't approve of). Maybe in some tab of the group, the creator could designate what the tag would be, if they even wanted one at all.

Probably too complicated to actually implement but bblfbeflblfbllluh

I think that would be pretty cool too, although what if somebody would just use that extra space to complete their character’s name? thinkface.jpg

My idea is that the tag wouldn't affect the length available for the name of your character, but that it would be added on after the name automatically if the group you're in choses to have an abbreviated tag. So instead of putting your rp group's tag as part of your character's actual namespace, it would just show behind your character's name in chats or maybe in the nametag. Similar to having name and username turned on for local chat so it says "<CharacterName [Username]>" but username is the tag.

I feel like I'm rambling now, but I want to state that it's really just spitballing. I'm not even sure how this could be implemented or if it would be any benefit.

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »
Thank you guys for the feedback, honestly. <3

I'm sorry for a short response I'm just not really energetic today on the forum ^^
doing what i feel like