Poll

Should FH Staff be allowed to join a roleplay group?

Yes
No
Depends?

Author Topic: Should Staff Be Allowed to Join Roleplay Groups?  (Read 3815 times)

Calvary

Should Staff Be Allowed to Join Roleplay Groups?
« on: November 13, 2018, 09:36:02 pm »
credit to ressypoo for the idea to post this.

Imagine sitting online, minding your own business when suddenly you really want to roleplay. You'd join a group RP right? It has cool history, a nice backstory, ranks, a discord, and everything you want in an RP. You get to join it! Yay!

Now picture yourself as a staff member, another day where you're sitting in the Grounds, and you really have the urge to roleplay. However, the only difference to this story is, is that we often can't. Well, not that we can't, but usually we are turned away. Why? Mainly because when it comes to RP groups or any group, people are scared that staff members are joining to watch, and are scared they might get in trouble.

We don't get to join RP groups, mainly because of this innate fear that people will be spoken to or talked down to for doing just about anything, even breathing, which mostly isn't the case. Much like you, we want to rp with the community, but there is a .00000001% chance we get to join a group to roleplay in. Often times we have to avoid RP groups, mainly because they feel uncomfortable having a staff member in their group, driving members not to talk in fear of being watched or getting into trouble with the mods.

It's sad really. Before I became staff, I used to run RP groups of my own. (Seether Carnage, Risen Revolution, The Arai, Somber Dominion, etc). I loved RPing with the community, but when you become staff, it's almost as if you are outcasted. It's almost as if the norm becomes that you can no longer join an RP group in fear of making members feel uncomfortable or scared. I'd enjoy rping again, but it is very likely that no one accepts a staff member into their RP groups, and if they do, they are heavily uncomfortable with a staff member being there, when all we want to do is RP like the rest of them.

I'd like to know from the community, do you think staff should be able to join RP groups? Do you think not? Or does it depend on the situation?

Feel free to elaborate below! I've always been curious.

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
Re: Should Staff Be Allowed to Join Roleplay Groups?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 10:03:45 pm »
I don't see a reason as to why a Staff member shouldn't join a group to rp.
People, as said, fear that if they cuss something and you see it in the group you're in, they will get kicked or banned.
But, you too know how groups work and that there is bad language in 90% of the cases. So I'm sure you won't really do anything about it and maybe even join in?
There's nothing wrong with having a Staff member in a rp. Some people don't even know who the staff is, since there's so many of you now xD.
Just, join in on your RP character and have fun!
I'm sure with talking more with other members, they will get used to your presence and like you!
I'm sure that in some groups there is some talking about the staff and mods, and there sometimes is criticism, which can cause a conflict.
On the other hand, being a part of the Staff team, doesn't mean that you only have to work and sit at the grounds.
You too need to have fun, because if this game starts looking like a job,  well..
I'm going off the topic a little bit here, because there is just this thing, which is players not trusting the staff when they're around them, in a way?
You know, trying not to say a bad word and say the wrong thing.

But yes, Staff members SHOULD definitely join RPs. You are a normal member of the community,  just like all of us are. You are a player of this game, and what do you do in a game? Play it and have fun! <3

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox

Offline Notorious.

• Cinnamon Roll
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 56
  • Noto for short
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:10:33 pm »
In my opinion, I definitely think that staff members should be allowed to join roleplays. They're members of the FH community as well just like the rest of us so I don't see a problem with it. I get why people will probably get scared and uncomfortable because of it since y'know, sometimes it gets a little crazy at certain points. But yeah, everyone should to welcomed to whatever group they want to join whether they're a FH staff or not. The game is all about having fun and such, is it not? <3

xSpirit

a
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:20:42 pm »
a
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 05:33:34 pm by xSpirit »

LonesomeRider

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:42 pm »
I think staff should be allowed to, if they have the extra time! For instance, I'm in the Pack of Nuntis currently. I am thinking about joining a warriors rp of my friend's, for I love roleplaying and hope to make time between what I'm required to do. We're simply part of the community, and shouldn't cause others to feel nervous around us <3 we're here to help, of course, and would probably enjoy rping with the community like before becoming staff.

Of course, this is from my view but it's nice to see the view between the community and staff~

Calvary

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:28:48 pm »
I agree with all of you on this!

I also get why members can sometimes get uncomfortable in most cases. However, as long as members aren't harassing people and as long as you keep cursing and whatnot in group or party, or even whisper, it's all dandy! We want to rp like everyone else, and we really mean no harm by joining groups. It's just a struggle when you want members to come first before yourself, but sometimes we want to have some fun too without having people be uncomfortable with our presence.

I've actually been trying to join a few groups myself, and it's a bit of a struggle when people look at you a certain way wondering why you're not in the grounds making sure everything's dandy.

Thank you guys for your input, I'd love to hear more!

PocketMutt

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:09 pm »
I can sympathize with some of the fears RP groups might have but I think it's time to have more RPs be open to the possibility of having a member of staff apart of their group.
Mostly, it stems from a fear of having to be on their best behavior but staff aren't aliens incapable of being loose. There's a time and place for being diligent but that doesn't mean we are like that 24/7. I'm sure if RP groups allowed us in, they'd see different.
I'd imagine there is also the fear of being undermined for those who are in charge of their RP groups. This is something, that again, comes down to perspective.

I don't RP but I'd like to know that I'd be able to casually join if I was in the mood. These are aspects of the community that we should be able to take part in the same as everybody else.

Offline TouchOfMadness

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • "Tommi"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 11:14:05 pm »
I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. Most, if not all, staffers started off as normal players. It's not like they're these third-party authorities ready to ban anything they don't understand. Their sensibilities aren't that much different from those of normal players. In short: If you're afraid something in your roleplay is not fit for a staff member to see, then it's probably not fit for anyone to see (unless you keep it to a private map, in which case a staffer can't really fault you because you're keeping it out of the public eye).
It's been three freakin' years and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:48 am »
In the past I've seen plenty of staff members join roleplay groups, been in a few with one or two as well!

I don't see a problem with a staff member joining a group what-so-ever, as staff are.. members of the game as well. Staff are people too and I'm sure anybody's group would happily accept a staff member into it! I personally haven't seen any staff in any groups / roleplays of sorts in a while... (forgive me if I've missed any staffers currently in groups!) Personally, I'd LOVE to see some staff in some groups and think it'd be fun to be able to roleplay with a staff member, I'm sure you all as staff get that itch to roleplay just as much as anyone else.

So, why not? There's no good reason for a staff member to be "banned" or "not allowed" to join roleplays and groups, as you all are members of the community just as much as everyone else! The only way a staff member would likely "not be allowed to join a roleplay/group" is if the owner/staff of said group have that person on banned list, which... I highly doubt that would be a thing, but I mean, that's all up to the owner of said group/roleplay.
artwork by dehvina

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 03:09:50 am »
It's dumb that people cast people out simply for being staff. Just because someone becomes a moderator here doesn't make them some all powerful being to be avoided. They're still people that want to have fun. So yes, staff should be able to join any roleplay they please.