Author Topic: How exactly does the forum's "Buddy" feature work?  (Read 868 times)

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
How exactly does the forum's "Buddy" feature work?
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:01:45 am »
If I buddy someone on the forum, do they know? And if they know they're buddied, do they know who buddied them?
Do they need to confirm if they want to be buddied? Are they able to unbuddy the person who buddied them? Are they able to prevent random people buddying them? Is it impolite to buddy someone without asking them first? Is it important to buddy ingame friends? Does buddying reveal hidden users?

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
Re: How exactly does the forum's "Buddy" feature work?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:55:37 am »
If I buddy someone on the forum, do they know? And if they know they're buddied, do they know who buddied them?
Do they need to confirm if they want to be buddied? Are they able to unbuddy the person who buddied them? Are they able to prevent random people buddying them? Is it impolite to buddy someone without asking them first? Is it important to buddy ingame friends? Does buddying reveal hidden users?

A Buddy List displays all of the members on the forum whom you have added as a “buddy”. This list will also show their online status and contact information if available. Inevitably, there will be times when members get along great and times when personalities clash. SMF provides a way to handle both instances. The buddy list allows members to keep track of users they enjoy talking to, while the ignore list hides users they do not want to see.

• Edit Buddies - Members may add or delete other members from their buddy list.
  • Edit Ignore List - Members may add or delete other members from their ignore list.

If I buddy someone on the forum, do they know? No.
    And if they know they're buddied, do they know who buddied them? No.
    Do they need to confirm if they want to be buddied? No.
    Are they able to unbuddy the person who buddied them? Well, yes.
    Are they able to prevent random people buddying them? No.
    Is it impolite to buddy someone without asking them first? I've done it before.
    Is it important to buddy ingame friends? That's what I am doing.
    Does buddying reveal hidden users? No.

Also, when you buddy someone, their name appears in bold here:

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Re: How exactly does the forum's "Buddy" feature work?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 11:16:35 am »
Thank you, Valhayes!
This topic can be locked now that my questions are answered. :)

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.