Author Topic: The culture of leaving- and "I'm Back" (introduction) posts  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
So when do you find it necessary enough to make a leaving post? Only when you're on a long hiatus or gone for good? Or do you also do it even if you're just away for a week or two?

Same goes for introduction posts; Would you feel the urge/tend to let us know that you're back in the community after a few weeks (or a month)? What does it really matter for you? :o
Have you ever returned to the community after a long time without letting anybody know? If yes, why? (Don't worry I find it okay, I have no personal opinion against it whatsoever.)

Also, yes. I have decided to not make introduction- and leaving threads from now on. Because I never really know why I leave, and come back. Things just happens. I'm tired of me giving stories and valid reasons... :p
But if you need my little "clarification", I've decided to at least try and check the forum every now and then, however I will not be active in-game since I've got stuff to take care of in life xD

Hope this is a valid topic for this section. Otherwise the mods are welcome to take action. :)
doing what i feel like

dollzie

Re: The culture of leaving- and "I'm Back" (introduction) posts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:49:07 pm »
i don't see the point in making either one of those kinds of threads unless you're going on a long term hiatus or returning from one. i myself never made introduction threads when i did return every once in a while during my huge hiatus, as i knew my stay was likely going to be highly temporary.

if someone is planning to go on a break, making a leaving thread can make it harder (you draw attention to yourself and feel immersed in the community again), so i would even go as far as to say leaving threads aren't always a good idea, unless you're completely set on leaving. hope that makes sense.

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:40:08 pm »
I'm not personally too big on posting leaving/intro threads. If I'm having some simple computer issues for a little bit, I just drop a note somewhere my friends will see, so usually on Tumblr/Facebook/Deviantart. I don't think the rest of the FH community is really too concerned I'll be inactive for a few weeks, it's really just important that people I talk to on a daily basis are aware.

I only post leaving threads if I'm definitely going to be gone for a few months at least. Feralheart isn't too much of a worry, since I wouldn't really consider myself an active player (I just like stalking the forums), but if I ever need to take a 'mental health break' from any other websites, I just do it quietly. Move the bookmark into a folder so I don't impulsively click on it, and just log out of certain social media or programs for a bit. If I ever make a leaving post impulsively, I just get all curious who posts on it and what they say and it just prevents me from leaving fully.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:07 pm »
imo leaving posts should only be necessary if you're leaving for good or at least going on a long hiatus, or getting back from a hiatus in the case of returning threads.
i myself never made a leaving post. i just go. returning posts on the other hand, i've only made one in order to apologize for my past behavior.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:14:15 pm »
I honestly think they're helpful if someone is going to leave for a long period of time or going away for good. And with intros, good for longer periods of time. Should take my own advice heh

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:16:05 am »
i don't see the point in making either one of those kinds of threads unless you're going on a long term hiatus or returning from one.

Pretty much this. ^^ For most short leaves (ex. going camping for a week, not having internet access for a few days, etc.) I find that a small edit to one's profile is more than adequate, since one is expecting to return shortly. For occasions where a return is expected but when it is still necessary to inform the community of a leave, I feel that leaving a notice is fine. Granted, if a leave or return occurs unexpectedly in a way that was sooner than one anticipated, it applies a bit differently. (Simply editing the old leaving/return thread is most appropriate.)

I think I've left two or three leaving thread notices in the past, but only when I were to be absent or completely unreachable (such as a vacation/surgery) and knew that I needed to reach a larger mass of people. Most of that goes to staffing purposes, as I recognize that unmentioned absences from staff could affect a lot of people requiring assistance, and I would find it inconsiderate. I tended not to post notices regarding my activity before I was a staff member, though, usually as I would prefer it not to draw attention where it wasn't needed. I guess it's up to personal preference on whether or not you'd like to share that kind of information.

This was a thoughtful thread subject, Ellen!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 04:18:24 am by Warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Kahbloom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • Happy Camper
    • Kahbloom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:29:00 am »
ooooh~
Interesting!

I personally haven't really ever made these types of threads, because I never typically know when I'm going to be going on a hiatus/leaving or returning or whatever. It's usually kind of impulsive with me, & I kind of do what Torskite said & leave a note somewhere else, like on deviantart. The majority of the community probably wouldn't be too interested in the fact that I'm going on vacation or whatever, so I usually only tell closer friends that would be affected & wonder where I am.
Please say hello if you see me in-game!
kahbloom.deviantart.com

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 10:23:05 pm »
Interesting question here.

I agree with what some have said here. The only time I ever think it's necessary to write a "Leaving" thread is when you're going to be away from the game for a long time; like months or even years. Same with the "I'm back" threads being made for when said person returns from a long hiatus. When I say long I mean like gone for half a year or more. If someone were to be gone for a very short time due to vacation I think it's kind of pointless to make an announcement in the Leaving section. That's just me though.

I did make a Leaving post once, and I was gone for awhile before I decided to come back to the game. After I came back, I had become less active on the forums compared to being in-game.
Inactive

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 01:23:30 am »
Personally I beleive they are spam. Week long breaks are really not needed to be posted unless the member
is an admin. If it is a year or longer hiatus, it's fine in my book. So pratically I agree with everyone.

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:52 am »
You guys have some very thoughtful opinions that I agree with 100%.
Thank you for posting, and I’m glad you are fascinated by my question topic. :)
doing what i feel like