Author Topic: Feral Heart RP Guide!  (Read 14618 times)

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
Feral Heart RP Guide!
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »
(I originally had this posted in the dA groups, but I've gotten a few requests to post it here. Enjoy.)
Hello, boys and girls, Kerrigan/DimensionGal here to bring you a new tutorial on what RP Skill Levels are, what is usually required of each Skill Level, and the different types and styles of RP. This tutorial really only applies to English-speakers.

?RP Skill Levels?

In-game, particularly in Fluorite's General Chat, people advertise for Role Play groups. But sometimes, they advertise their groups with certain requirements that tend to baffle the unaware. I, myself, have been one to go for and advertise for groups looking for "Literate Members", and yet the same groups often get people wishing to join that aren't what was called for...

Literate RP - Also known as "Lit RP" or just "Lit".
A Literate RP is just what it means, you must be able to write correctly in English. It means you must know the difference between your/you're, there/they're/their, and other such commonly mixed up words. You must also be able to use punctuation correctly most of the time. Members of these types of groups don't mind if you typo now and then, usually, but they want to see that you're capable of meeting their standards.

Literate RP groups generally like to do a style of role play called Paragraph, there's more on that in the last section.

Semi-Literate - Also known as "Semi-lit RP" or just "Semlit".
A Semi-Literate RP is a little harder to define, as it crosses both Literate and Basic RP. Groups in this category will accept all types of RP Skill Levels, but generally try to avoid taking in the Illiterate if they can help it.

It's hard to define what style this Skill Level does - however they're usually seen doing Scripting, there's more on that in the last section.

Basic - Also known as simply "a mess" "RP".
A Basic RP is the most illiterate level of RP. Here, people rely on txt tlk and broken grammar with no punctuation to communicate in the role play. It's common knowledge that monsters such as Mate-beggars, Sparklers, and Godmodders are often found on this Skill Level - though there are equally as many "realistic" users who spk @ dis tlk. For those used to Literate RPs, like myself, this is a nightmare - but Basic RP makes up about 70% of the RP I've personally seen on FH.

Basic RP is extremely common in Mapless and Spring-up RPs, there's more on those in the second-to-last section.

?RP Types?

There are at least four different Types of RP, which require your character to look a certain way in order for you to participate.

Realistic
The Realistic Type requires that your character have a "realistic" appearance. Your pelt/underfur/eyes cannot be a color not found in nature, nor may you have any obscure markings. Often times the group is organized in a manner similar to real-world Wolf Packs or Lion Prides. This is one of the two Main Types, often found in Lit and Semi-lit RP.

Semi-Realistic
The Semi-realistic Type is far less rigid when it comes to your charcter's designs. I, myself, do enjoy this Type quite often. Your character's choice of colors is expanded, but this Type generally doesn't allow neon or bright colors. Your charcter may also have whatever markings you desire, though those markings may not be crazy colors either. This is one of the two Main Types, found in all Skill Levels.

Pre-design
This Type is especially rigid when it comes to character designs. Occsionally they require that your character have a specific hairstyle or mane, and you may choose from either one to a small selection of Markings. Your character's facial and body features will have to meet a pre-designed limit. These are often made-up or realistic breeds, and this Type is mostly found in Lit RP.

Fantasy
Fantasy is an everything-goes, no-one-cares-what-you-look-like Type. Everything's allowed, except for Sparkledogs and Glittercats. As long as your character seems to have a formulated appearance and you can read basic English, you're good to go.

?Group Types?

Plot Groups
Plot groups often times have plots - storys that the RP is centered around. (Though a GOOD plot is not always certain.) It's best to join these types of groups early-on, as it's rather hard to get new characters involved in plots the further along it is. These groups are more apt to have their own maps that you will have to download.
Mapless Groups
Sister to Spring-up, Mapless groups are just that - groups without maps. They use the public maps like Bonfire Island, Ficho Tunnel, Fluorite Plains, Temple of Dreams, and Cape of of Distant Worlds. People often go to these groups because they cannot download maps due to parental controls, their computer's processing power sucks eggs, or they simply can't use a computer well enough to install maps.
Spring-up Groups
Spring-up groups are the sister to Mapless groups. The type of group with the shortest lifespan, Spring-ups arise from a flock of people who can't find an RP with their mindset - so they go and make their own temporary group. They usually happen when people get on minority characters during a majority hour. (Like going on a Lion during "Wolf Hour" or going on a Wolf during "Lion Hour".)

?RP Styles?

Paragraph/Novel
This style is favored by the Literate. It's in-depth, and written using quotation marks for dialogue. Think like reading a book. Novel is much longer than Paragraph - where Paragraph is simply one-to-two messages long, a Novel may be five messages or more. Since there is no BOLD or italics function in the chat boxes, emphasis may be made by putting words in asterisks.

Paragraph Example
It was a cold morning. Rain fell from the sky in buckets, and his fur clung to his skin in chilling clumps. His dazzling white paws were soiled by the mud he walked in - something he did not particularly enjoy. When the wind blew, his dark bangs suddenly stuck to his face and he let out a deep, frustrated growl. "It had to rain *today*," Amainu grumbled, pathetically blowing his hair from his face."Goddamn it."

Scripting
Scripting is the easiest style. Quotation marks and symbols denoting character speech are not garunteed, and actions, rather than being described, are often put inbetween asterisks or dashes.

Scripting Example 1 *
Amainu: *it's raining, so he blows hair out of his face* Goddamn it.

Scripting Example 2 -
Amainu: -it's raining, so he blows hair out of his face- Goddamn it.

Hope you enjoyed this little guide to the RPs in Feral Heart. Maybe it helped you, maybe it didn't, maybe it was TL;DR. If it helped, I'm glad it did - if it was TL;DR, oopsies~
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:00:57 am by Kerrigan »
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
Re: Feral Heart RP Guide!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:16:20 am »
I reckon first time role players would find this helpful.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Fantasia_Cross

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • https://www.deviantart.com/unite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:37:14 am »
This is SO cool!
Feel free to ask for my Discord in regards to Feralheart Topics.

Offline Mibby

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • When life gives ya lemons... crush em and eat em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:07 am »
Thanks for the help, mon amie. I think my brother may enjoy reading this... he is a roleplay nerd. 8)
When life gives ya lemons... throw them away and yell 'I WANTED A PUPPY!'

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:27:07 am »
I agree with everything you have here and think that it was very well made. I enjoy how you showed examples and relatable scenarios for most of the genres of role play. Over all I think that newbies would find this very helpful. Thank you for donating your time to write this +floof
~SHAY 
pm for free art i need practice

Offline Vineyard

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Siny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:28:32 am »
yay! This was very helpful!

Shiny Evil Toy
BY: ~Vineyard

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »
This is a nice guide you've out together, Kerrigan. This will sure be a good help to people who not familiar the terminology commonly used.   
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:14:48 am »
*late to the party*

Thank you, everyone.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 06:19:26 am »
This actually helped me understand my own style XD I have been a long time roleplayer and I have roleplayed on many games, but I always seemed to have an issue with rp on Feral Heart because I did not understand terms used on Feral Heart, since most other places I have rped on did not use these. Very interesting, thank you.

Roleplay Skill Level
Literate to Semi-Literate

Roleplay Type (Types for me)
Fantasy, Semi-Realistic, and Realistic

Group Type (Or what group I would be best in)
Mapless Groups

Roleplay Style
Scripting

Thanks for the guide!

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:35:09 am »
The original post was made back in 2011, floof, and the last post of this thread was back in 2014. The likelihood of a reply/update to this thread from the author seems very unlikely as their last activity in the forums was February 07, 2017. While they may be active in-game, it's now been 7 months since they last checked the forum.
Try not to bump older threads.~

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡