Author Topic: [WIP] Characters: An Art (The Many Types of Characters and How to Roleplay Them)  (Read 24850 times)

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:50:34 pm by Attsos. »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? An Introduction ?

Characters are obviously an essential area of roleplaying, and we as a community really love to create our characters. But personally, I believe it's an art.

Creating memorable and unforgettable characters can be a challenge, especially when you're just starting out. It isn't something that can be done within minutes - character creation should be something you put your heart and soul into. This entire topic will be centred around the more intricate side to character creation, and will include various tips that hopefully everyone will be able to learn something new from. I am by absolutely no means an expert on the topic, however, and if you see something you don't necessarily agree with (or better yet, something I didn't touch upon that you'd like to see put in), by all means, comment and let me know! Feedback is something I would very much love in order to better this topic. I will also provide links to other topics and various websites that I believe might be of use to anybody.

Throughout this guide, I will use a variety of my own characters to demonstrate the topics at hand. While it is by no means a complete walkthrough, I hope anybody reading will find it useful!

Attsos

« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:35:02 pm by Attsos. »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:23:05 am by Attsos. »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? What's In A Name? The Basics ?

Having all the basic information of a character thought out is essential for roleplaying as them. You can't not know the fundamental information of your characters, because it can define their characteristics in ways you might not realise.

The power of a name and its value has long been immortalized in prose, poetry, and religious ceremony. Everyone recognizes themselves by name. Your characters are no different.

Names are what define people. When I give my characters names, I generally don't do so until I am almost done with their actual creation - that's how important they are to me.

A lot of authors often keep small notebooks with them at all times, so whenever they hear a name they think is interesting, or see a name they'd love to put in a book they write, they'll write it down. This is a really great way to have a bank of names, rather than creating sub-par characters with a name you like quickly in order to remember it. Don't be rash in these situations - you can save your names and use them later.

If you prefer to have a name before creating a character, that's perfectly fine too! Everyone has different steps to creating characters. Just because I name my characters last, doesn't mean everyone will, or should.

Next, look at the defining attributes of your character - and I don't mean background or personality just yet. Age, gender, species (down to their breed - don't just use 'wolf', define if they are a maned wolf, grey wolf etc.), occupation, health, sexuality, family (whether other real characters or your own/made up), mentality, even scent... These are all points of interest for other characters. It's how we as a people communicate who we are - there are rarely people that we meet who have these details mirrored with your own. It's important to know everything about your character. Why?

Well, how will you describe your character in roleplay without knowing these? Consider which of these short descriptions, used in roleplay, sounds better.

1. Kerani stopped, feeling the cold wind battering her backwards from the destination in her mind.5

2. Stopping, the female Faerie blinked, cold wind battering against her frosty fur and the frozen icicles on her tail tinkling as the blizzard pushed her back from her destination.

Which sounded better to use? Both are clearly alright, but the descriptions of my character in the second is more favourable because it includes some of those basic details about Kerani. Rather than just using a name, you can give much more depth to your characters in roleplay by including more information.

They're important for other reasons too, however. Conversation between strangers always includes exchanging this information, and it's likely that your character's going to meet a lot other characters in your time of using them. Get to know their information off by heart if you can. It makes dropping the information a lot easier during roleplay, both in conversations and descriptions.

I've seen various other guides touch on this before, and I've decided to input my own version of them too. I see people everywhere using M and F in their names, and personally I don't actually think this is a bad thing to do at all - but either way, I've included some information that you can use in biographies as well as roleplay. Using the correct terms for your characters is imperative, or the very least, you should know them. I've included all relevant species of animals, but if you have a particular desire to see one that I haven't listed, feel free to request it.

Cat
Male: Tom / Gib (neutered)
Female: Queen / Molly /
-Removed by moderator-
Baby: Kitten / Kit
Group: Clowder / Cluster / Clutter / Glaring / Kindle (kittens) / Litter (kittens)

Cheetah
Male: Coalition
Female: N/A
Baby: Cub
Group: N/A

Coyote
Male: Dog
Female:
-Removed by moderator-
Baby: Cub / Pup / Whelp
Group: Pack / Train / Band

Deer
Male: Buck / Stag / Bull / Hart (red deer)
Female: Doe / Hind / Cow
Baby: Calf / Fawn
Group: Bunch / Herd / Brace (bucks only) / Bevy (roe deer only)

Dog
Male: Dog / Stud (breeding) / Sire (father)
Female:
-Removed by moderator- / Dam (mother)
Baby: Pup / Puppy / Whelp
Group: Pack (wild) / Kennel / Mute / Litter (young) / Cry (hounds)

Fox
Male: Tod / Dog / Reynard
Female: Vixen
Baby: Cub / Kit / Pup
Group: Skulk / Leash

Horse
Male: Stallion / Stud
Female: Mare / Dam
Baby: Foal / Colt (male) / Filly (female)
Group: Stable / Herd (wild) / Band (wild) / Rag (colts) / String (ponies)

Hyena
Female:
-Removed by moderator-
Group: Clan / Cackle

Jaguar
Male: N/A
Female: N/A
Group: Prowl / Leap

Leopard
Male: Leopard
Female: Leopardess
Group: Leap

Lion
Male: Lion
Female: Lioness
Group: Pride / Sawt

Tiger
Male: Tiger
Female: Tigress
Baby: Cub / Whelp
Group: Ambush / Streak

Wolf
Female:
-Removed by moderator- / She-Wolf (NOT 'Wolfess')
Group: Pack

These may or may not be useful to you, but either way, they're there. If you don't see one here that you'd like to see, just ask and I'll get it up there. I chose the most common ones that people may be using, but I may have missed a few. If it says 'N/A', it means there is no designated word used.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:45:02 am by Kikiorylandia »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:46:05 pm by Attsos. »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? Looks Can Be Deceiving - Personalities ?

So we've already looked over the basic types of characters as well as the design aspect. Your design may not be finalised yet or even not done yet, and that's perfectly fine. Everyone goes about creating characters differently - you might prefer to create your character's personality before their appearance, or vice versa.

Creating a believable personality can be pretty tricky, especially if you're not used to it. A lot of well-known writers even take months to create their latest work's characters! So don't be put off if you're having trouble. Be patient and above all else, put time and effort into your characters and you'll be all the more proud of how they turn out.

Now, let's get started!

? The Basics ?

When looking at personality, there are a lot of things to take into account. It's easy for me to tell you "This is my character, he/she is very timid and doesn't like talking", but it's got no foundation. Why are they like that? Did something happen to them when they were younger? Is it a recent happening? Do they only act like this around adults? What about the opposite sex?

If you can't answer any questions as to why your character acts they way they do, then they're lacking a bit in depth. It's very, very rare for someone to be a particular way without any reasoning behind it, so the same should hold true for all of your characters.

I spoke before about knowing your character's basics, and the same absolutely holds true here. In my experience, knowing your character inside-out makes for far more interesting roleplay. And of course, what better way to get to know your character than filling out a chart?

? Character Charts ?

Chances are, if you've ever roleplayed a character (and I very much doubt many people in this community have not), you've probably filled out one of these before. A character chart, or a bio as most refer to it as, is a very simple form stating facts about your character. Below, I have put a blank form as an example that you can use at your leisure. Out of many I have seen, this is one of the most detailed ones - though for the sake of convenience, I have only taken the areas that correspond to personality. A link to the full version can be found below the chart. I've put it in a spoiler since it is pretty long-winded.

Sleeping habits:

Worst bad habit:

Quirks:

Greatest fear:
   Worst thing that could happen to him/her?
   What single event would most throw character's life in complete turmoil?

Character is most at ease when:
Most ill at ease when:

Priorities:
Philosophy:

How s/he feels about self:
Past failure s/he would be embarrassed to have people know about:
If granted one wish, what would it be?
       Why?

Daredevil or cautious?
       Same when alone?

Biggest regret?

Biggest accomplishment:
Minor accomplishments:

Character's darkest secret:
       Does anyone else know?
              If yes, did character tell them?
              If no, how did they find out?

Greatest source of strength in character's personality (whether s/he sees it as such or not):

Greatest source of weakness in character's personality (whether s/he sees it as such or not):

Character's soft spot:
       Is this soft spot obvious to others?
       If not, how does character hide it?
Biggest vulnerability:

Which of the 7 deadly sins does character fight (or give into, willingly or not)?
       (lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride)
Which of the 7 virtues does your character have (or fight against)?
       (chastity, abstinence, leberality, diligence, patience, kindness, humility)

Optimist or pessimist?
Introvert or extrovert?
Drives and motivations?
Talents (hidden or not)?

Extremely skilled at:
Extremely unskilled at:

Good characteristics:
Character flaws:
Mannerisms:
Peculiarities:

One word character would use to describe self:
One paragraph description of how character would describe self:

What does character consider best physical characteristic?
What does character consider worst physical characteristic?
       Are these realistic assessments?
              If not, why not?
How CHARACTER thinks others perceive him/her?
What four things would CHARACTER most like to change about self? (#1 most important, #2 second most important, etc.)

If change #1 was made, would character be as happy as s/he thinks?
       If not, why not?

Is character divorced? Why?
       If yes, how many times?
Has character ever cheated on any signficant other?
How does character relate to others?
How is s/he perceived by...
Strangers?
Friends?
Wife/Husband/Lover?
Children?
Co-workers?
Protagonist?
Antagonist?
First impression character makes is:
       What happens to change this perception?

What do family/friends like most about character?
What do family/friends like least about character?

Immediate goal(s):
Long range goal(s):
How does character plan to accomplish goal(s)?
How will other people around character be affected?

How character react in a crisis (calm/panic/etc.)?
How does character face problems?
       Kinds of problems character usually runs into:
How does character react to NEW problems?
How does character react to change?

[ Full Template ]

This is the ideal depth that every character should possess. It's a brilliant chart, and a lot of the information in it is actually quite important for you to know. Building a believable character from the ground up can be quite a challenge, but a chart such as this one can definitely get you well on your way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:32:37 pm by Attsos. »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? So What's Your Story? Backstories ?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:46:31 pm by Twee »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? What Now? Roleplaying Your Character ?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:44:52 pm by Twee »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
? The Do's and Don't's ?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:46:52 pm by Twee »

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA

Offline Twee

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Still a very large work-in-progress, but I hope you like it so far. ;v;

Let me know if you think any changes are in order. This is all coming from my personal learnings and experiences, so you may have differing opinions from me - and that's okay! I'd love if you'd give me some feedback on what you think could do with a change.

I'll continue this at a later date. This is probably going to take a long time to complete. ;3; Anyway, you can go ahead and post for now <3 I'll sneakily update as I go along.

Art by Kalambo @ dA
My dA