Author Topic: Realistic heightmaps in WorldMachine  (Read 10555 times)

Offline SyntaxError73

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Little Meeplet
    • View Profile
Realistic heightmaps in WorldMachine
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:01:06 pm »
Worldmachine is a heightmap making program that makes realistic heightmaps.
You won't believe your eyes how amazing this generator is!

So the only thing you need for this tutorial is the program itself. which is through this url. http://www.world-machine.com/

So once you have the program downloaded and installed, it's time to make maps!

In the window that pops up, you will see three components.

We are going to go over those in a second. First, we need to tell the program what our map will look like.
Go to the devices tab at the top, and find "Layout Generator"
Drop the Layout generator in the window, then connect the top node of the "layout generator" to the purple node of "Advanced Perlin"

NOW it's time to make the shape of the map! this is the most fun part. The easiest terrain to create is mountains, so why not make some mountains?
Double click the layout generator device, and you will be brought to this screen
Scroll up until you see the box with the white outline, this is your build area.
Now lets make some lines! select the lines tool on the left. we are going to make two organically shaped lines that are not parallel to each other. This will create two mountains with a river in between... for now.
This is what it will look like, nice and squiggly.
but... they aren't realistic yet. We need to break up the shapes now! To do this, click the "Edit" button next to "Use Breakup" on the left hand side of your map. There you will edit shapes before breakup. (Lower end computers like this method, otherwise the program will lag really badly)
NOTE: I prefer to use a fractal breakup at the maximum value, The Breakup Scale at a very small value, but larger than 0, and the Roughness at 3 or 4. This makes breakup really realistic looking.
This is what the Heightmap looks like now! much prettier!
You may skip to the advanced perlin part of the tutorial if you do not want to learn about advanced shapes. Otherwise, continue like normal.
To make an advanced shape, you must select the lines that we drew on the map. Selecting is kind of buggy, but I found a workaround. Press the Overview tab at the top, then press the select button that is right next to the Overview tab. Go back to the Layout Generator tab on the right of the Overview tab, then select your shapes by clicking and dragging over the shapes. A box will cover the shapes as you select them.
Now press the "Brush properties" button in the "shape properties brush" section. it looks like a pencil.
Here, you can select the falloff distance, or the distance it takes for the maximum height to go to 0 height.
You can also select the falloff curve, or the shape the falloff makes. If you want normal mountains, use the straight linear incline curve. It's the first of the four preset curves. There is also a custom curve editor, where you can make your own curve.
to do this, press the Edit button above the 5th curve button. You will be in a curve editor. The curve is basically like the side view of a 2 dimensional mountain that is cut in half. The right and bottom side of the curve is the actual terrain, while the Left and top side of the curve is the Sky. You may edit this to your liking, but don't make it too extreme of a change, or your map will look funny.

ADVANCED PERLIN:
Go to 3d view at the top, it is a green button right under the "Parameter devices" tab and above the "Layout Generator" tab.
your view will look like this:

Now Double click on the far left hand side a piece of text that says "Advanced Perlin"

Edit the values however you want in the window that pops up, because you will be able to see the difference made in the 3d view as you are changing those values.

I got something that looked like this!

It's time, young worldmachine noobie, to export your first map!!!
But first, delete the Terrace filter. (It just looks really ugly in this situation)  

Go back to the Device view.. (shortcut: f5) it's the blue device in between the other two devices seen in the first image. Right click and say "Delete this device!" it will prompt you if you want to continue. Say yes! Green device node will automatically connect to the Red device node.

Double click the red device called Height Output. this will appear.
Follow the steps in the image to finish!!!
1. Set: Set where you want the exported file to go
2. Write output to disk: Export!

REMEMBER, set your output as .png! otherwise, it will say you haven't selected the filetype!
Good news to people who don't like setting preferences, the map that exports will always be 513x513 pixels! meaning that it is ready for importing!

Time to import the height map into feral heart! WARNING: it will blow you away!

Thanks for reading this quite lengthy tutorial.. it was worth it right?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:23:07 pm by SyntaxError73 »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Realistic heightmaps in WorldMachine
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:58:25 am »
Very lovely tutorial! I'm sure many floofs will love this and I might even try it myself some day. Keep it up! c:
Farewell everyone<3

Preach

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:27 am »
Very handy and useful for the map makers. I am sure many will appreciate this. Thank you for creating this.

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:55:36 am »
Whooooaaaa. I have to try this one day! I appreciate you posting this! ?
artwork by dehvina

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:38:28 am »
Woow, this is really cool....Glad to see there's more than one way for making a map. Definitely going to have to give this a go once I find the time to make another map.
Thanks for posting this~!

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:53:32 am »
Need to try this some time, especially when I start trying out map-making. Thank you so much for this helpful guide. <3

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline SyntaxError73

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Little Meeplet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:22:00 pm »
Thanks for the wonderful feedback!
I actually discovered this tool on the minecraft forums. Where it was being used to make minecraft maps.
So I was like... "Better use this for FH!"

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:17:23 am »
This is super useful! Thank you for this wonderful tutorial.
I will keep this in mind if I make any maps. cx

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Offline Koori

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Self-Proclaimed Official Hobo of Bonfire Island
    • Koori-Tora
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:55:47 am »
Aaah, this is exactly what I need! My friend sent me this program a while ago, saying it was good for making maps, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. I was searching for general heightmap tutorials today when this came up. It's like a map-making miracle. Thank you!
Check out Myatar Legends! It's an IT server with a diverse choice of character models [including gryphon options], separate marking and eye colors, horns/antlers... Just take a look for yourself! http://myatarlegends.forumotion.com/

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 04:10:26 am »
I might have to look into this sometime. Thanks for this tutorial!