Author Topic: Deleting/Removing Custom Maps  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Deleting/Removing Custom Maps
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »

Hello everyone. Back at it again with yet another tutorial. This is a small one, but if you're a clean freak like me, but you also like downloading maps, then I'm sure you'd appreciate this. This tutorial was inspired by a help thread regarding deletion of maps in which I provided two answers/alternatives to. Of course, the decision you make on what you're wanting to do specifically in terms of deleting maps can be easily answered, or, can be more confidently chosen with the information provided here.

So with that out of the way, let's get to it!

Removing a Map/Portal in Cape of Distant Worlds.

To delete a map you have either exported or downloaded/installed to the game, you just need to remove the .fhm file from your Local Disk (C:) \\ Feral Heart \\ Exports folder. As shown in the example below with my Gawana Island Map. Once deleted, just relaunch Feral Heart and the map will be removed from Cape of Distant Worlds. That's all there is to it. Though, one thing you should note is that some maps contain other maps. You may want to delete any other .fhm's provided to you regarding that map. For example; my Gawana Island Map contains a cave called Gawana Cave. If I wanted to delete that exported map, I'd remove the highlighted .fhm file in the second image provided.

Deleting a Map in the Creative Den Map Maker.

Of course, this is your choice, whether you choose to keep the map in map maker and save everything for possible future modifications or not. However, if you are wanting to remove a map (or maps) from the map maker, you just need to remove the map's folder, as well as the map's .map file. If I remember correctly, the .map file is what allows the map to be listed in the Map Maker. I will share an example of what I'd remove if I were to remove my Gawana Island Map from the Map Maker.

And because I'm a total clean freak, here are the other contents I'd remove in order to keep my folder clean. Unless you'd like to re-use the height or terrain map of course. Keep in mind that whether or not you keep the height or terrain map in the terrains folder does NOT effect whether or not the map will be listed in the Map Maker. The following highlighted contents are my Gawana Island Map's height and terrain masks, as well as the Photoshop documents I saved in there in order to make the height and terrain maps.

Most people end up getting two portals of the same map after exporting their map. Once they notice this, they wonder whether to delete the exported map or to delete the map in Map Maker and keep the export. What you decide to do is all up to you in the end of course. However, I'm completely grateful that I didn't remove the map from the Map Maker just to keep the exported map instead. Even though the maps show as separate portals. Now I can modify whatever I want in the map, and it's currently having a few re-models in areas of the maps ready for public download.

That's the end of this tutorial! Hopefully this tutoiral guides users on the right path on decision making if they ever come to this situation. Or if users are generally interested on how to remove maps from Feral Heart. You are more than welcome to use this tutorial in any help thread you may stumble accross. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Whether it's on the Help Boards, or on this thread itself (however, the Help Boards are preferred). Spot any mistakes? Have I left anything out? Please inform me about any mistakes or information I have missed through Private Message. Do NOT reply here. Feedback and general responses are welcome!

For a direct link, I have provided one via TinyURL; http://tinyurl.com/DeletingMapsFH
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:55:33 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Melon

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • God in their worst form.
    • jennfelde
    • View Profile
Re: Deleting/Removing Custom Maps
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:20 pm »
This is an great tutorial! Sure to help people remove custom maps in the future. C:
Attempting to get more active. Enjoy the day!

Cheers!

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:43 pm »
Great tutorial Buffy! Heck, I needed this as well! Thank you so much for making it! ^^

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 12:22:49 am »
Thank you very much, the both of you~

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 07:14:31 pm »
i
Lovely tutorial, well organized and easy to follow. I'll surely be using it to do some spring cleaning, thanks!

You are amazing <3