Author Topic: International Board  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
Re: International Board
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 09:27:40 pm »
fair, but i've also noticed a few moderators eyeing this thread.

it'd be nice to know if they are considering it or considering putting it on the table.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline FellSilence

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 09:44:39 pm »
you could always start with only a few languages.

figure out which ones are most popular, start with maybe 3-4 of them. add more as time goes on so you dont need to find a ton of mods at once.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 09:52:03 pm »
you could always start with only a few languages.

figure out which ones are most popular, start with maybe 3-4 of them. add more as time goes on so you dont need to find a ton of mods at once.

Indeed, but at the same time it could be difficult to find active forum users who's primary language would be either; Polish, Finnish, Russian, or French. Said as a personal view, as I don't see many roaming the forum. Being able to communicate with Staff in English is also necessary when needing to Report certain threads. Spanish and Swedish are already very easy to find in terms of people to consider. We already have two members of staff who are fluent in Swedish and is their primary language.

Also, the Moderators may be lurking the threads, but generally at this time of year it's not considered a priority so they simply just might not have had time to discuss it between them or even post any personal views.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:56:33 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 12:11:07 am »
it would still be nice to know, since the only other person who has remote ties to staff that has been speaking to anyone on this thread is you.

feral_cast.fhm

Offline wolffox

• COOL MOM
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 188
  • icon by T0XIIIC, sig by Bawfle <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 01:16:58 am »
I think this is a wonderful idea and should at least be considered as a possibility. All it would take is putting a few heads together to come up with a plausible way for this sort of thing to work, even if it's something as crude as staff using a quick translator when popping into the boards every now and then, to make sure things are running appropriately until a better solution is found. When I was part of the staff team years ago I used a translator to help folks in game. Some words and phrases were wrongly put of course but the message always got across eventually and seemed to genuinely help some folks. An international board of sorts would help to make FH a more diverse and friendly place in my opinion.

Edit: This is not to say I don't completely understand the skepticism and reasons why the language rule is in place. Just think that change is good especially when it means including others who, in normal circumstances, would be excluded from this kind of community altogether.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:19:09 am by wolffox »

Calvary

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 02:22:41 am »
Popping in here, as I've been eyeing this thread and it seems you all would appreciate a bit of insight.

This is actually an endearing idea, one I really enjoy as I do speak another language and I feel this would broaden the spectrum of players who may be afraid to be on the forums or in game. I know a member a long while ago brought up before that they would enjoy some sort of localization as well from staff members to know what languages they speak, so for our current non-native english speakers, they'd be able to report something in their native language with no hassle.

This is definitely something that the staff will look into. Hope this helps!

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 03:30:27 am »
glad to see it's being considered
thank you for the timely response.
i await the decision, or any possible updates you may have concerning an international board.

feral_cast.fhm

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2018, 11:07:00 am »
Staff members eyeing this board and not making a reply doesn't mean we've not already opened this up for discussion.
The ideas that are posted are always forwarded by one staff member to the rest - and discussions are made.
However, reasons why this is "taking so long" is because Staff are in different timezones. Some of us are in UK/European timezones while others are in American/Other timezones so replies to the discussions being made need to be given a lot more time than you may think. Especially as it's the new year and people are most likely spending time with their families to celebrate.

Onto the International Board idea,
I have never seen anything wrong with it.
English is not a prioritised language in FeralHeart whatsoever - although we encourage people to try and speak English, that is down to us finding it the most efficient way for us to understand any problems members are trying to express. It's rather difficult for us to understand people speaking to us in a language we may have not learnt or know very vaguely, but this is also vice versa for the members as they may have not been taught English either - so this International Board I find would be a massive opportunity for those to be able to speak up in this board and then know they will receive a reply in a language they can also understand.

However,
the international languages that would be managed would have to be languages that we can understand to an extent. We can't really help people if we can't form grammatically correct sentences in a response in case of confusing them, which is something the Staff have been discussing when we have the time.

In terms of "mini-mods" being on the board... why?
We manage the boards effectively as it is, and I don't think we would struggle with a few more boards here and there. It would easily encourage more players who speak other languages to be active on the forums, and there is very little harm to that. ^^
Not to mention, when users speak other languages in-game, we take the time to translate that anyway, so doing the same for the forum wouldn't hurt us in any shape or form.

Am all for this.
Although the final decision based on this idea may take some time.

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Kahbloom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 45
  • Happy Camper
    • Kahbloom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:34 am »
Thanks for letting us know what's been going on! (:
Still really think this is a lovely idea, although this would, without a doubt, require even more work & effort to be actually created.
But I really think it would be beneficial to the community, & allow for more members to communicate within the forums.

Thank you guys for considering & listening.
Please say hello if you see me in-game!
kahbloom.deviantart.com

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 06:33:01 am »
the mini-mods would really just be extra helpers as to not add more onto the normal duties

if the staff think they can mange, why not.

it'd still probably be smart as to just have them for the sake of things running more 'autonomously'. you'd have to trust them a lot, but since it's a really minor job it isn't like you're handing them the keys to fort knox and then blind-folding yourself.

feral_cast.fhm