Poll

Was this useful?

Yes!
No.
I still need some help
It looked too hard
I didn't understand your instructions

Author Topic: Making your own markings !EASY!  (Read 29326 times)

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Look in that pocket of yours
    • View Profile
Making your own markings !EASY!
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:42:19 pm »
NOTE: Please, if you need more help, send me a private message, and screenshot your problem. Then, talk me through what you did

Hello! Here, i'll teach you how to use markings, using simply gimp, notepad, and screenshots to show!

Firstly, open the program you'll be using (Gimp or Photoshop). I'll be using gimp for this tutorial.

Create a 'new' file, and make a 512 x 512 file. Also use greyscale, as it's easier. Greyscale is found in advanced options, shown here.

After opening your file, use the bucket of paint tool to fill your page in black

To show where the parts of the area your using are (I'm using body for this tutorial), you should press 'open as layers' and open one of the reference files, found in feralheart>my presets>reference. Open the body file (: Like this

By pressing the little arrow, press 'grain extract' so you can see the body reference. The arrow is found in your 'layers' box

Going back onto your background layer, press the 'layer' bar>transparency>Add alpha channel. You need this so you can draw out the markings.

Using your eraser tool, make out the marking you want. Made by forests is what I want on my markings. Must be on your background layer.Like this. (Once done, delete the reference layer)

Now, you need to save/export it to your feralheart>media>textures folder. Save it as fmarkYourMarkingNameBody.png (If it's for canine's, save as cmark. Also, where I put YourMarkingNameBody, put the name you want your marking to be)

Now, go to your feralheart file. Your find a file called markings.cfg. Open that.

Once it's open, scroll to the bottom of the body markings. I'm using feline markings. You can find the canine lower down. Type what you want to call it, and watch what I do

If you didn't see this, I named my file MadeByForests;fmarkMadeByForestsBody.png. The part under the MadeByForests; is the name you called the file. This is what I named mine.
Just press 'save'. Now, open up your feralheart, and your markings will be at the bottom of your body marks! Like this!

( I changed the colour by the way.)
Simple!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:24:52 pm by Forests »
No longer on the forums. Maybe around the game every now and again.

My DA
My creations

Offline Zaroque

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 388
    • zaroqueart
    • View Profile
    • Zaroque's dA.
Re: Making your own markings !EASY!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:22 pm »
Nice tutorial, Forests. :3
Even I can understand this.
~ Z A R O Q U E ~
jaaaeeger
Art || DoE

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
Thanks<3

My DA
My creations

xPuRfectDisastRx

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »
Um, I followed everything EXACTLY. But when I test my markings, I see the name, but the markings don't show up on my char :(

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
This happens. Did you export the markings in the correct place? Did you use the *eraser* tool and not the plain white?
Um, I followed everything EXACTLY. But when I test my markings, I see the name, but the markings don't show up on my char :(
This happens sometimes. The reasons are:
You didn't add an alpha channel, and/or didn't use the eraser tool properly (Don't use a white brush. MUST be an eraser)
You are on 'preset maker' making a 'custom' preset (not using the preset option). It glitched sometimes, and that just makes it a pain. You need to change something such as the eyes, then change them back.
There are no other reasons, unless you made a spelling mistake in naming the actual file. Remember to use the ; instead of : in your marks. Also, save it as a .png file.
Otherwise, there are no other reasons. You just need to go through it again until you find what you did wrong.
Oh! And theres another thing.
If you saves it in the canine, you can only use it on the canine model. If you saved it on the feline markings, only feline models can use it.

My DA
My creations

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:44 pm »
Brilliant! This was so easy to follow. Some of the other tutorials I've read are very wordy and can be very difficult to understand, but you've written it in a very straight-to-the-point manner. That's what we need. Good work, Forests.
*nuzzle*

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

xPuRfectDisastRx

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »
This happens. Did you export the markings in the correct place? Did you use the *eraser* tool and not the plain white?
This happens sometimes. The reasons are:
You didn't add an alpha channel, and/or didn't use the eraser tool properly (Don't use a white brush. MUST be an eraser)
You are on 'preset maker' making a 'custom' preset (not using the preset option). It glitched sometimes, and that just makes it a pain. You need to change something such as the eyes, then change them back.
There are no other reasons, unless you made a spelling mistake in naming the actual file. Remember to use the ; instead of : in your marks. Also, save it as a .png file.
Otherwise, there are no other reasons. You just need to go through it again until you find what you did wrong.
Oh! And theres another thing.
If you saves it in the canine, you can only use it on the canine model. If you saved it on the feline markings, only feline models can use it.
I think I followed it exactly. I guess I'll just do it over

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:34:30 pm »
Happy to help c:

My DA
My creations

Offline Forests

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:11 pm »
Going to make a video version to simplify soon

My DA
My creations

Offline Chimaera

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • [Insert witty phrase here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »
You.Just.Saved.My.Life. :3  +Floof!
I'm backkk! <3