Author Topic: Issues With Censorship  (Read 3293 times)

Calvary

Issues With Censorship
« on: May 06, 2020, 07:21:36 pm »
I don't normally post on the forums anymore, but after a few instances where certain things have been censored on the forums directly, I simply want to know why these censorships are being put in place and what others think or feel about this.

I am usually one for censoring harmful words or explicit content, but the things being censored recently on this forum in my opinion is a bit, well, far-fetched. Such as the mention of 'October' which is all I'll need to say to avoid the censorship aspect of it. This was followed up with the censorship of Discord as an entire platform, which is something I still disagree with as a whole.

The last thing I've come to notice is xSpirit's Ko-Fi link for support being censored on the site. For what reason, I am unaware, but to be quite frank it just seems a bit 'much' to put it in a nicer tone. To me, the idea of censorship on this forum has gone off the deep end, and I do not mean this in a good way. Censorship has always had a poor connotation to it, but it's what you do with it and how you apply it that makes it in poor taste, and I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but it's a bit disrespectful and where I tend to draw the line to not only censor out Discord as a platform where a majority of this userbase goes, but also to censor out someone's means of receiving direct support for their work.

I personally believe these restrictions should be lifted, because to be quite frank, this is getting out of hand way too quickly for a game that is dwindling in numbers.

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: Issues With Censorship
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:12:40 pm »
Will agree it's getting ridiculous. Seems like we can't even have our own free minds.

marsbone

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 08:31:26 pm »
As well as the link to the FHU site being censored. Just an observation.

Calvary

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 08:34:15 pm »
Agreed. There are a lot of things being censored that really don't need to be.

Also, does anyone know why Dark_heart's post was removed?
https://gyazo.com/61ea24c7239fe2c2d6f18d2eea93048b

l3irdie

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:47:59 pm »
I do have to agree, this isn't the first time one of these discussions have come up- I remember weeks ago we had the same issue with a Discord thread and our concerns about the word being completely censored which also kinda vanished.

Like I understand in some part that FH needs to maintain some image considering its status and circumstances, but we've gone to a point where it's getting straight-up malicious and unfair and it certainly reflects poorly on others.

Offline ViscerialDreams

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • ~ They/Them Nonbinary ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 08:51:50 pm »
In all honesty, I never even noticed any of this. I'm sorry that's happening to you all, though.

Calvary

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 09:00:43 pm »
Thank you all for your input.

I am hoping that in this regard, Staff may decide to uplift the censor they put in place. In hopes that you folks, as staff, are reading this, I implore you to reconsider your censorship because the censors you have implemented do not regard the rules you have put in place on the forums.

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 09:14:47 pm »
I deleted my post myself.

However, I think censorship in general is not a bad thing, of course. Is needed. But censoring the word "Discord" is a slight exaggeration. I would understand if PM groups could be set up in the forum, but since the roleplay group doesn't have that function, they have to communicate somehow.

So I am also coming to some idea here - private chat groups in the forum. Then you would not need to use Discord, and censorship would be more understandable.
On new account Aiiokia

Offline turtlies

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • loves to lurk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 09:16:56 pm »
Censorship is a pretty slippery slope.. the increasing amount of things becoming censored on the forum seems very... surprising and out of character for this game. Honestly just learning that T*nypic (sorry idk if the word is auto censored or not skdfjdfk) was a banned website for the first time was pretty weird to me lol but at least that one's understandable and has positive intent behind it!

However, the recent trend of petty censorship is pretty concerning imo, it's not like banning some swear words from a kids game, it feels very targeted towards some or made specifically to silence topics that might be unsavory but DO deserve civil discussion. I'm not too active around here so admittedly I'm not to date on everything happening, take my opinion with a grain of salt, whatever but what I've observed so far and heard about in this thread seems like a massive issue. If the trend continues it's only going to get more concerning.

he/him
bro what if i put my feralheart cave next to yours.. bro what if they only had one flattened bush mesh to lay on and we had to share... haha just kidding... unless...?

Offline Oddonelynx

• Tuesday is applesauce day, but I am also a Jovial Bobcat!(Not lynx)
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 110
  • Hyenas deserve less hate.
    • BOTOFan
    • channel/UC5lDa5s7GLRWQHoH70ne34Q
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:33 pm »
Never noticed. Sorry that it's happening though, it's really strange how those words are blocked :o

Art by QuietMacaroni