Author Topic: RP samples?  (Read 5962 times)

Offline dawnrunner1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Call me...Bunni! :D
    • View Profile
RP samples?
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:06:48 pm »
well even though i don't know what an rp sample is or how to do one i think i know enough to talk about it. :P
anyway what do you think about rp samples?
personally i think its not the best thing to do. if someone is not the best at spelling but is good at rping and they want to join a group someone advertises but they don't let them because in his/her rp sample they didn't spell things correctly is not fair at all.I do understand that rp samples may be to see if they are one of those people who abbreviate EVERYTHING and to see if their rp "skills"are good and match to what they rp about,but it is kind of rude when you say they are bad at rping and don't let them join.(I have no idea how to do a rp sample for a group so correct me if anything is wrong :D)
but that is just my opinion.what do you think?
work is not mine :3

Offline LionWolf089

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
    • View Profile
Re: RP samples?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:23:31 pm »
Ah, RP samples. I personally don't think they're rude, its just a matter of preference.

For an example, a RP sample is used to see if a person is literate or not. Literate meaning they RP a certain way. Its not used to criticize someone's spelling or RPing, its just a way to see if the person Role-plays the way you prefer. Everyone prefers role-playing a different way. Literate is just a way of saying that you like to use proper grammar while role-playing, and you want to role-play like a story format. Literate RPs usually consist of long paragraphs, almost as if it was a book. But what people refer to as illiterate RPs are just role-play replies in a different format. They usually contain un-proper grammar, text talk, and one line replies. In illiterate RPs, they don't use RP samples, because they do not simply care how you RP. The member joining the illiterate RP has to realize what format of RP the group will be using, which is illiterate or what some people call "semi-literate." Most illiterate RPs are never "Strictly illiterate", however, Literate Rps are often found to be "Strictly literate," because the creator only likes to RP in a literate format, and they don't want illiterate RP replies to be mixed in. So, I really don't think RP samples are such a bad thing, its only used to see in which way your RP in. :) That's just my opinion  though.

Ex: Literate - The wolf padded through the forest with great awe. She was amazed at the trees and the buzzing of flies. "What a great day," she remarked, and continued down the path, with light footsteps.

Ex: Illiterate - *pads through forest* What a great day 2 b outside *says*

Thanks for bringing this to attention, I think its important for people to know that when they are asked for a RP sample, it shouldn't offend them. ^-^

Offline mossstar1992

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Poofle-Woofle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:06:37 pm »
yes i see why ppl use RP Samples b/c if most of the ppl in there talk like this:
*I pad past the river as it shimmers and slides past.I watch the fish shoot by and perk my ears as crickets chirp.Yawning i pad over to a rock to sunbath in.*
And then have one person that RPs like this:
*I pad to the water watching it flow and then go to a rock thats sitting there wishing to be sat on. I go to sleep*
And then someone like this]
*i pad to water.I stare at it. I go to a rock and go to sleep*

No offence but it confuzzle and/or angers some ppl.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »
As said by Cosmic, it isn't rude. It's just to see if you are literate, or not. I ask people to give me a RP sample for my RP since I prefer to write in paragraphs and would like the RP to do the same. And besides, I don't think someone who prefers to make short and quick posts would like to have to read paragraph after paragraph.

Offline dawnrunner1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Call me...Bunni! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:42:55 pm »
well i understand that they are okay and it would bug me too if someone rps like a two year old.
work is not mine :3

Offline ~BineebugAJ~

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:18:07 am »
I mean no offence to people who do it, but i am against RP samples. i search for hours for a group without them, (because every RP sample i did, witch is like 20, i failed) and when i do find one without RP samples, i have to log off for something!

Offline ~BineebugAJ~

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:17 am »
I mean no offence to people who do it, but i am against RP samples. i search for hours for a group without them, (because every RP sample i did, witch is like 20, i failed) and when i do find one without RP samples, i have to log off for something!

i know i am not answering to anything or anything, but i just need to let my feelings go.

DreamerDay

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 02:19:59 am »
This thread is year old. Why are you bumping it? Just create a new thread.

Offline kululupuppy

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Bye, lovelies.
    • View Profile
    • Lament's Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 01:24:38 am »
I agree that roleplay samples aren't all that bad, but the people who take them very seriously give them a bad reputation. Instead of asking players to give me roleplay samples, I try to actually roleplay with them and get a feel for their style of story telling and flow. It takes more effort, but I love it when high ranks in groups do this; especially when they help new players by giving them tips and pointers on how to improve their skills! Not only is it encouraging for the possible recruit, it sends them a good vibe about the group they're possibly about to join and it gives them a spot in the roleplay itself, so they don't have to feel nervous about jumping in later on. It also shows how comitted the high ranks of the group are! Now, of course it's hard to do that for every single recruit, but it's definitely worth taking the time to do.

Edit: Whoa, didn't realize this was old. ^^;
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:28:43 am by kululupuppy »