Author Topic: Mac user? Help!  (Read 2682 times)

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
Mac user? Help!
« on: September 07, 2021, 07:41:11 pm »
Hello beautiful people, long time!
I used to play this game years ago and figured out how to run it perfectly on my mac, yet since the update, I have had little to no success. I was hoping to check back in and see a new option for mac users but there doesn't seem to be any change (understandably so).
I was wondering if any Mac users have been able to successfully run the game on their computer without giving up FPS and falling victim to lag and automatic shutdowns. I would also prefer to not have to convert my mac to run like windows since in the past it has only led to severe issues that are expensive to fix.
Any and all suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Shay
pm for free art i need practice

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
Re: Mac user? Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 08:33:05 pm »
Hello, PlayOnMac user here:

I run POM v4.4.1, so, not the latest but the first update that fixed the issue with Catalina's update. I'm not sure if you've used POM before, or if that's what you're currently using, but I rarely suffer lag or random shut downs outside of the occasional "FH is working too hard and your computer needs a break" deal.

Quick Guide for POM:

Make sure you download both FH setup and the Executable:

Now, I already have POM installed, it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary for a typical application install on a mac. Once you have POM installed and open it you should get this screen here:

Make sure you hit that "Install" button. As you can see I have FH and a (not used) FHN version on my computer already. You can also hit "install a program" it does the same thing as hitting the big plus.

After you hit the "install" button you're going to get a pop-out that looks pretty big and weird, but you're going to look for the fine print in the bottom left that says "Install a non-listed program"

This is going to bring you to the manual installation process. All that means is you're going to have to hit a few extra buttons and select the FHsetup17.exe from your downloads folder/deskopt/wherever you put it.

From there hit next:

I've never had luck "updating" an application like FH through here so, make sure this is a *fresh* installation of FH you're trying to run here.

Hit next:

Now you can name your virtual drive whatever you want. Mine is personally listed as FH Update due to having an older version on my mac at some point (now since removed), but you can name it FeralHeart, FurandFriends, RazsBaby, literally anything you want.

Just make sure there are no spaces, I believe the application blocks the use of spaces anyways.

Hit next:

Hit configure wine, it'll do all the work for you to set up the correction version so you don't have to go looking around for which one works and which one you should use with Mac or any of that.

Next:

Really, really, really, really, really, important that you hit 64 bit program. Ever since apple updated to Catalina they no longer support 32 bit games. FH will not run if your virtual drive is trying to run a 32 bit program.

Next:

At this rate, wine will pop up with this nice little window (crossed out portion is just the pathway to where your POM folder and eventually your FH Folder will be once the installation is complete).

So, what's going to happen here is its going to start working through wine for a little bit, you'll see another application or another "terminal" icon show up in your menu bar at the bottom/side/wherever yours is.

After a few minutes this should pop up:

Do not touch anything other than ok. You do not need to change any settings for this part.

You'll be transported back to POM to select your program:

select the FHsetup executable from your downloads:

Now, apple has this fun security feature that won't let you install programs it doesn't recognize-- it'll pop up with this scary little pop-up that asks if you want to throw away the application because it won't let you open it.

You do not have to throw it away just hit "cancel" and go to your mac preferences:

You're going to want to go to security and privacy and on the PRIVACY page there should be this little dialogue box. Now it only shows up if you hit CANCEL on that pop-up that asks if you want to throw away FHsetup17.exe. So make sure you don't just leave it up on the screen.

Hit "allow anyway"

Now that apple has no reason to fear FH, you can get working on finally installing the program into that virtual drive you created earlier.

Its going to run the FH installation guide through wine:

Do not change the location of this setup. It is already set up by POM to go into the virtual drive you created earlier. Simply hit Next:

You can decide on full or light installation here. I use the full installation and don't lag or have any issues, so you should be fine but if you go through this process and it still lags you can try the light version of FH.

Again, please do not chang the location or anything, simply hit "next":

After a long and tedious process you are ALMOST there, so just hit install:

YAY you did it, now for a few more steps because we are Mac users.

You're going to get this fun little pop-up. It is the same pop-up and you will get it twice. On your first GO THROUGH, hit the FERALHEART.EXE with the little POM symbol. This makes it so that it'll show up in that window when you first open POM back at the very top of this tutorial. If you do not hit this you will have to go all the way through your library to find the POM files and open it through the finder. Trust me, that's way more tedious, just hit the .exe and hit next.

It's going to ask you if you want to add ANOTHER short-cut. The desktop short-cut stopped working for POM after the Catalina update. I've never got it to function, so simply just hit "I don't want to make another short-cut"

Almost there:

So, this is what it should look like. Unless you have other programs or other FH versions installed you'll only have the one you created in this tutorial pop up in your window. If you want to modify your FH (add presets, maps, items, markings, etc) you're going to need to access your FH folder.

Now, you can go through the finder... however, it is the longest pathway through the library I have ever seen and you have to reveal your library if you don't already have that set up on your mac as it is. To make life simpler, just hit the "Open Directory" button. To Run FH you can double click the bar I have selected or hit "run"

Here's your directory. You can follow any tutorial (windows or mac) to install items/mods/etc.

Hope this helps!

Offline shayy

• World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:24:22 am »

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I'll give it a try sometime tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks again :)

Offline shayy

• World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 02:13:52 am »

So I guess I don't have WINE downloaded, do you know which version would be best supported with feral heart?
Thanks again for the help

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 02:26:31 pm »

So I guess I don't have WINE downloaded, do you know which version would be best supported with feral heart?

It's been a few years since I had to install wine, I would assume that during the step where I said "configure wine" just unselect all boxes like it says.

I can look into that, but I'm not sure I can replicate it since wine is already on my computer. From what I remember it should prompt you through a wine install as well if you need to do that.

Offline shayy

• World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 03:14:39 am »

It's been a few years since I had to install wine, I would assume that during the step where I said "configure wine" just unselect all boxes like it says.

I can look into that, but I'm not sure I can replicate it since wine is already on my computer. From what I remember it should prompt you through a wine install as well if you need to do that.

Alright so I figured out how to successfully download it, yet it refuses to connect to the sever. Any advice?
Thanks again for all your help!

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 03:33:06 am »

Alright so I figured out how to successfully download it, yet it refuses to connect to the sever. Any advice?

Make sure you are connected to the play-game tab! https://feral-heart.com/login/index.php

and in my case, I cannot minimize that tab or the game refuses to recognize that it's connected, so make sure it's open! If that's not the issue I'll have to do some digging.

Offline danysaurus

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
  • hamburg
    • danysaurus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:07 am »
pretty useful thread, sent this to my gf
to be added

Offline shayy

• World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 01:10:01 pm »

Make sure you are connected to the play-game tab! https://feral-heart.com/login/index.php

and in my case, I cannot minimize that tab or the game refuses to recognize that it's connected, so make sure it's open! If that's not the issue I'll have to do some digging.
Thank you!
However, now it says I must download the latest patch?

Offline danysaurus

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
  • hamburg
    • danysaurus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 01:16:07 pm »
Thank you!
However, now it says I must download the latest patch?

replace the .exe you have with the .exe on the download page

to be added