Author Topic: Tried everything for Height Map help...  (Read 1199 times)

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
Tried everything for Height Map help...
« on: July 06, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »
Alrighty, so I've been making height maps for several years now and usually don't run into a problem. It's finally happened though and I need some assistance from the lovely FH community so I don't lose the last of my brain cells trying to figure out what's wrong. Maybe a fresh set of eyes will notice something I didn't.

These are private maps so please ;; do not copy/trace/steal them as I've spent literal days on them but:

This is the original height map that works and we use it for the group now. It's 513x513, grayscale, one layer, and .png

Members started commenting on the big black ocean spot that could be used to expand the islands and so I went back in to edit the height-map under a different name:

So finished this and adjusted the masks and hopped into Feral Heart. Now it might be important to note that I use two computers for maps because I don't have room for an art program on my PC so I use Photoshop Elements on my Mac. Hasn't been a problem until now.

Anyways- after attempting to just load in the terrain on its own it crashed. Okay, that happens. I double checked the size, mode, and layers and it was 513x513, grayscale, and one layer. Crashed again.

Okay well lets see if its just a this map problem or something in FH broke and I need a fresh install. I installed several free height maps from the community and they all loaded in fine [might be important to note I can still open the previous version in Map-maker just peachy].

Since that all worked out dandy I started checking the height masks and those load in perfectly fine too.

So as you can see the mask works perfectly and I loaded in the old terrain just to  make sure [once again] that it wasn't all my heightmaps that were broken. I'm at a total loss and read somewhere:

https://feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=58877.0

This thread fixed its issue by putting the image into gimp. Well I don't have gimp and I hope this isn't the only solution to this problem.

All help is appreciated ;;

SpicyDirt

Re: Tried everything for Height Map help...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:02:14 pm »
This is actually kinda a common thing. The map maker can be so finicky when it comes to the creation of these heightmaps. When you were creating the map, did you use separate layers and then merge them together in the end? That can actually mess up a heightmap and there could possibly be a few ways around that ~ upload it somewhere and then re download it.

Another issue could be the alpha layer. I'm not sure how to remove it in Photoshop Elements (I use that also, and when I tried to make a map I was having the same issue to the point of where I just used a different service). There could be tutorials online on how to find the alpha layer to remove it.

Lastly, make sure the map name doesn't have any spaces in it. That can really mess with a file for some reason!

Offline BloodWinsAll

• G o d
  • Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • Feels like I'm going insane
    • Firesong-stormi
    • Firesong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
Ah thanks for the fast reply.

the original file did indeed have multiple layers before I merged them but it worked before so I'm not sure how it changed it now? I can try painstakingly drawing it from scratch but most, if not all, of my maps have been created this way. Would be an unfortunate set-back.

I did actually go through the many many hoops that is required of removing the alpha channel despite it being in the original map. I removed it for the updated one and tried that again which didn't seem to work either.

Its named Pantheons2Terrain.png and I've renamed it 3 times for different variations. I might try sending it to a member that has gimp and see if that solves the problem but that would be annoying for a long-term solution.

SpicyDirt

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 06:23:16 pm »
If you'd like to shoot it over to me I can run it through Medibang. Once I do that, then test it, I can shoot it back over and it should work after that. Just send it over via PM c:

Offline Dark_heart

• Professional Razmirz's Cheese Stealer
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • -- Moving account --
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 08:06:09 pm »
I'm working in GIMP, but I have same problems sometimes. Remember about turning off/removing alpha channel/transparency. Also, maybe try install diffrent program on your another device? Then export and download them... Also have look on mask map - maybe There's somethin' what you missed in height map?
On new account Aiiokia

SpicyDirt

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 12:11:35 am »
Alrighty this has been fixed via DMs so I'll be locking this now. c: