Author Topic: Contest idea  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
Contest idea
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:10:39 pm »
We have preset contests and other contests to involve players. But why is there no Map making contests? Granted map makers are in small numbers, but why should we be left out? I think it would be neat to have a map making contest.
Merrp

Offline Likuu

• -- strawberry banana
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • 𝑜𝓇𝒸𝒽𝒾𝒹
    • View Profile
Re: Contest idea
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:45 pm »
I personally think it would be pretty cool to have a map making contest! I’d definitely try and be involved in that haha, definitely think it’d be a good idea, maybe there would be some sort of theme and guidelines for the map rather than it be free game or something, ya know? Sorta like a preset contest in a way.
artwork by dehvina

Offline gh0ul

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 65
  • ~~Son Fett
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:33:36 pm »
That's a cool idea! I think there are a lot of map makers out there that deserve more love. Never made a map myself so I bet it's very difficult to make.

<3

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:03:06 pm »
Maybe it can be a contest where a certain theme is used, and the winner's map gets put in the next patch? I think that would be absolutely wonderful.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:12:05 pm »
This concept has been tossed around here and there, but when it boils down to it, there's always a risk that there won't be enough Map Makers to participate, and unfortunately the level of preset makers out-weighs the level of map makers.

However, I do feel like something could work with plenty of time and some organisation.

Six Month Gaps

/// March \\\

Preset Contest

Can happen from the beginning of March to whenever is suitable for the type/theme of contest being held.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

/// September \\\

Map Making Contest

Can happen from the beginning of September to whenever is suitable for the type/theme of contest being held.

I feel like a 6 month time gap between the two contests works really well. They're evenly spread out, not hosted at an awkward time and where people can most likely make the time to participate, and also don't happen too often to the point where people lose interest in them.

One thing to keep in mind is that with this pattern, there is a higher chance that preset contests during official Feral Heart events can take place more often, like 'best dressed' at Halloween and Christmas as separate contests in relation to the event. Not that they can't already, but there's "doing it for fun" and then "over-doing it".

This pattern also gives people an idea as to when certain contests are likely to appear.

But yeh, that's my contribution to this topic.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:20:49 pm by Bawfle »

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Arandomperson

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:13:03 pm »
This concept has been tossed around here and there, but when it boils down to it, there's always a risk that there won't be enough Map Makers to participate, and unfortunately the level of preset makers out-weighs the level of map makers.

However, I do feel like something could work with plenty of time and some organisation.

Six Month Gaps

/// March \\\

Preset Contest

Can happen from the beginning of March to whenever is suitable for the type/theme of contest being held.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

/// September \\\

Map Making Contest

Can happen from the beginning of September to whenever is suitable for the type/theme of contest being held.

I feel like a 6 month time gap between the two contests works really well. They're evenly spread out, not hosted at an awkward time and where people can most likely make the time to participate, and also don't happen too often to the point where people lose interest in them.

One thing to keep in mind is that with this pattern, there is a higher chance that preset contests during official Feral Heart events can take place more often, like 'best dressed' at Halloween and Christmas as separate contests in relation to the event. Not that they can't already, but there's "doing it for fun" and then "over-doing it".

This pattern also gives people an idea as to when certain contests are likely to appear.

But yeh, that's my contribution to this topic.

I'd love to see a map making contest to happen. Since I'm not too good at presets or art even. Plus ive been map making since around i got my main account(This one). There would also have to be some prize too. A "Good job" and a pat on the back won't really cut it as some ppl can spend really long times on maps.

But a good theme for a map contests would be Parkour map. Winner could get their map added to the game connected to the rest of the maps. We loved AI, the place where it rains cats and dogs. And we do miss it
Merrp

Offline Valar.Morghulis

• “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old must be put to rest.“
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 115
  • The many-faced God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:14 pm »
As nice as it sounds,  I can't agree with this idea entirely.  But that's just my opinion <3
I feel like there would be too many contests and events altogether,  as well as progress with Updates and what not.
We already have some contests (like the preset contest which hasn't been happening in a while now, but probably will in the future).
Creating a map, even if it's just for a contest with a theme, takes up a lot of time. If you want to get it right.
Also, there probably won't be many people in the contest. They could say "oh I might join, I like creating maps!" or something similar, but to be honest, I don't think that many people will participate.

I appreciate the idea though! ^^

https://linktr.ee/Obsxura
Profile by Cittrus-fruit | Signature by Mistrel-Fox