Author Topic: Preset Techniques  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Oslo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
Preset Techniques
« on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:38 pm »
Hello! I'm Connor, and I'm going to try my best to explain a few tricks I have for preset making.

Preset making can be a rather tedious process when it comes to working with gradients of any kind, this is because of the way the UV maps wrap around the model itself and how they have been cut apart. When making a preset, it is highly recommended that you use the UV Map references to help assist with keeping accurate to the model, this can be found in FeralHeart\my_presets\reference. Now that I've explained this, we can get into a few techniques I use to help me with figuring out how the UV map works.

Note: I've hidden the images under spoiler tags to avoid cluttering

Color Coding
By adding a layer above the UV and colouring the triangles loosely, I can create a reasonable reference that allows me to see how each part connects and where to. You can also do this to the back of the UV map to see where the back of the legs work.

ALT. Color Coding
This is another way of figuring out how the UV wraps around the model, though I feel as if the first one I previewed is more accurate and helps figure out the form of things easier.

Blurring
What I did here was select the individual shells (squares/triangles) in the UV map and increase my selection, alternate to another layer and fill it in before saving it as a PSD file and opening it in photoshop. From here, I seleted and auto-blur option that ensured all the blurring would be even. You can find the blurring options in Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur on photoshop.
i'm here once a blue moon

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
Re: Preset Techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:22:58 pm »
owo
Goodie, goodie guides I see!

This will surely help people (including me if I am feeling braindead about a preset, lol). Kudos~
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:24 pm »
These are some very unique and artistic ways to make presets indeed. Looks cool~! :3
doing what i feel like

Jixmix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:16 pm »
Amazing and great work on this thread!

I will definitely look here when I make new presets.

Offline Oslo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 06:25:58 am »
owo
Goodie, goodie guides I see!

This will surely help people (including me if I am feeling braindead about a preset, lol). Kudos~
These are some very unique and artistic ways to make presets indeed. Looks cool~! :3
Amazing and great work on this thread!

I will definitely look here when I make new presets.

Thank you all, hopefully these techniques prove useful and do justice! damn these animal armpits!
i'm here once a blue moon