Author Topic: Textures 101 For Dummys =D *requested! AND DONE!*  (Read 19274 times)

Fath

Textures 101 For Dummys =D *requested! AND DONE!*
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:48:16 am »
--Yes, you will need to do code, but I make it easy =D--

Post 1- book 1&2
Post 2- Test of your knowledge
Post 3- Gallery!

Ok, So i asked what tutorial people wanted me to do next, and the top vote was this, so here i am! =D

OH! But first, Meet Boo! He is my little helper in these Tutorials <3 I will be changing my other ones to fit Boo in also =D EVERYONE SAY HAI! =3

BTW the red ghostie is from Converting to OGRE, his name is Rex, the blue one is from High-low poly, her names Pam, Im updating them into my other tutorials nau

Great! Lets get started >=D There are two parts, or "books" to this. Book one, Making a texture, Part two, Getting it In-game =D So if you have the texture you want, and just need it in-game, scroll down till you see in HUGE letters GETTING IT IN GAME (duh lol) and if you dont see them, you iz blind, wait, no, that does not work, you have to see to read this... unless someones reading this..... but, wait, no- GAAA MY BRAIN HURTS Dx lol

Book 1

Chapter 1

Making the texture.

So, You want to make the texture? Well, I cant exactly help XD See, what kind of texture you want to make could range from wood to a pink flamingo rug! But I can give guidelines =D

-There is no rule to what size or shape the texture is, unlike height maps or whatever it does not have to be 512 by 512 or whatever, it does not even have to be square!

-It can be transparent, but if it is, you have to have special code or it wont show as transparent!

-You remember the waterfall? Its NOT animated! its the code that makes it move, so just make your texture static, you can animate it with coding =D

-ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS save it into Feralheart>Media>Objects>My_Objects as a .PNG or .JPG. I like .PNG myself =D

Wow book one had a whole chapter O.e lol anywho, moving on...

Book 2
Chapter 1
Copying the .material file!

Ok, Well you have your texture, and you want to put it on something! You will be blown away by how easy this is (that is, if you don't do anything fancy XD)

First, Go to your FeralHeart folder! Open up My_objects and find something that's a material file (.material Cx)

Left click, and select Copy (lul i was board xD trying to practice drawing dem <3)

Then past it! (yes, in the same folder)

Chapter 2

Opening the blasted thing

Ok, so what you do is right click on your pasted materiel file and click on Property's. Then click on "Opens with" And click change. Finally, change it to notepad.

(Kudos to you if you laughed ^^)

Now you can open up materiel files C=

Chapter 3
Basic Coding 101

Now, i know code sounds all big and scury, but its not =D

OK, So open up your copied materiel file. I will use Hammy's stone marker file for demonstration purposes (this is only one of the mats btw)

Code: [Select]
material marker
{
technique
{
pass
{
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit
{
texture blankmarker.png
}
}
}
}

Ok, so lets start with the first line, material marker.  Sound familiar? When in object maker there is the mesh box and the materail box, basicly this is what your naming your texture, so, hammy's texture's name is marker. So when you type in marker the game knows what picture to use.

Now this,

Code: [Select]
{
technique
{
pass
{
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
texture_unit

This is basicly telling Feralheart that when you type in "marker" That means that you want to use what picture and what you want it to do.

cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         texture_unit

That part is what the texture WILL do, right now, its not spost to do anything really XD just be a rock.

Anywho,
The most inportant part is the highlighted part

material marker
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         texture_unit
         {
            texture
blankmarker.png
         }
      }
   }
}

That is where you type in the name of the picture. in this case it is blankmarker.png. YOU MUST type in the EXACT name of the picture, caps and all, OR IT WILL NOT WORK >=O

So its easy, after materiel  you put what you want to type in feralheart, like, FernMat. In Texture you type in the name of the picture, like fernleavesgreen.png. Click save, and vola!

Here are some helpful links to get cool codes for your textures (remember to erase stuff like preset_9_bodyRMat, that's for presets. But the code works with anything as long as you did it right =D

OH and on the next post is a Test you can take to make sure you know all this =D THERE IS A REWARD IF YOU FINISH =D

And the next next post is Gallery, where you can show off textures that You made! (just PM me a picture and/or link if you want to share with the community ;D)

Boo says give me nuzzles <3

My Other "for dummys"
High and Low poly-
Presets- Working on
Map Making- Working on
Textures-
Object maker- Working on
Converting into OGRE-
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:13:29 pm by Nynth »

Fath

Re: Textures 101 For Dummys =D *requested!* WIP
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:48:48 am »
THE TEST
OF doom xD

Ok! Quick rules!

-No Cheating, that means you cant just skip the test and get the prize from someone else, dat, my friend, is cheating xD
-uhhh..... Dont die? Cx

Description

Ok, Im going to give you a some files (listed below) and your job is to correctly code it! These meshes and textures are mine (though therry converted the meshes for me <3) and I am letting you use them IF you pass the test xD

List of files

Fern1.mesh
FernLeavesGreen.png
FernMatBark
FernLeavesGreenGLOW.png
FernMat.material (the material is blank >=D)
FernMatBark.material (Also blank xD)

Instructions

-Download the mesh
-Go here and find the correct coding (you want glowing)
-Change the code from preset code to your code
-Open FH and go to Object maker, type in the name of the mesh, add new, then the name of the materiel!
-Take a screenshot and PM it to me, I will approve, then PM you the prize!

THE PRIZE

You know fern1? Well there are 5 others that you will receve (fully coded xD) and 5 more textures you can use for ANYTHING in your maps! (MetalMat, LavaMat, and the others are secret >=D)

START TEST
       -download-

Meh pupils who passed the test <3

(None yet =O)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:39:20 am by Nynth »

Fath

Re: Textures 101 For Dummys =D *requested!* WIP
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:48:59 am »
Gallery!

-none yet OnO
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:40:45 am by Nynth »

Fath

Re: Textures 101 For Dummys =D *requested! AND DONE!*
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:24:31 am »
BTW you can post now ;D

Offline Frostpaw860

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • Professional Dork
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:07 am »
O_O A lot of words, but Its really helpful ^_^  Horray for Dummy guilds! x3

.|.For The Team.|.
.::Only active on the Forums::.

Fath

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:38 am »
Ftt I KNOW X.X so much typing -twiches-

I luv my dummys guides <3 lol

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:35:53 am »
That. Ghost. Is. So. Cute. <3
Nice tutorial!

Fath

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:02:13 am »
Daww thanks <3 I luv him too =D

and thanks again XD *karma*

Offline ringoluver

• Delay's Nop.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 227
    • ringoluver
    • lavenderdaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »
I SHALL DO THIS TEST! AND I SHALL SUCCEED!

Signature Art by Bawfle, Icon Art by Edolicious

Fath

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »
=DDD GOOD I HOPE YOU DO >=DDDD