Poll

Should there be a group of people working on new Maps for FeralHeart? Or should existing maps be modified and become Official?

Moderators could choose the developers for maps
4 (33.3%)
Members could vote on developers in a contest of maps
5 (41.7%)
Some of the current maps made by members could become official maps like before in IT
1 (8.3%)
We don't need new Official Maps
0 (0%)
Only those on the official Team should be making the standard maps
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Create a Development Team for Official Maps?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
Create a Development Team for Official Maps?
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »
  Incoming one of Windy's infamous WALLS OF TEXT.

I know that this has been discussed before, and some new maps added, but I see any real permanent solution to this question that has been confirmed. I know some of the team members and other community members have discussed possible revamps of current maps, or just complete overhauls of them. We did get Sky's Rim, and a few other maps added to the standard package...but maybe more should/could be done?
     I don't mean to offend the map maker(s) when I say I was somewhat disappointed with the standard maps' layouts, and lack of details in them. They just didn't seem to be too creative for the most part, and were very empty. Atlantis has some ruins, but otherwise is all the same color, and virtually empty of anything you'd expect in an ocean environment. No colorful coral or anything to make it feel like there was real depth to the map. Fluorite Plains is one of the major offenders though, being extremely vast, lacking vegetation, and being a big reason for server death.
   I've seen some amazing...and I mean awe-inducing maps made by some of the members of this community. You could tell that they put a lot of love in their maps, and really did their best to make a thrilling, and exciting environment to explore. Any members that have downloaded Red's map pack, or explored some of the maps in the Finished Maps sub-forum can agree with me on that. We have some downright creative people on here, that could do wonders for this game, and really make it an attractive playing environment. We even have members making new meshes and particles that are works of art. Why not let all this talent and creativity work its magic on some of the main maps?

If possible, I'd love to see some of our best of the best, our most creative, artistic, and affluent map makers and artists be allowed to work on a map patch that could be official for the game. Or if they didn't want to participate in such a large way, give permission for the game to use some of their inventions in official maps to bring a bit more life to them. It would be wonderful if FH had some really creative maps to replace some of the more vacant ones, and more maps attached to each other so people can be more widespread, and explore.
   Putting together a group to work on this could be possibly determined by a contest, where all interested in joining the team show off what they consider as their prize work, their best piece they have created. Judges could be moderators, or people assigned as judges to determine who has the skill and mettle to design pieces/maps/particles/etc. for the game in an official team. There could be a section for each contribution to a map (ex: layouts, meshes, particles, etc.).
   If a contest would be too much of an ordeal, maybe people could be asked to join from the work already created and displayed on the site. There are many finished maps that can be looked at, and maybe people that have gone above and beyond in their designs could be chosen to work on official maps. The only problem with that would be having to scan through all the threads, having to enter all those maps, and trying to determine if the person actually created all those items themselves. That, and great artists could accidentally be looked over, because there are so many to scan through.
   We've got moderators and admins that are very creative, but lack the time to really put their ideas for maps to use with all the other jobs they have to do around here. I think it would be a great help to them, and the community, if some other members were allowed to work on this section of the game.

Of course, this would all sink if Kovu doesn't agree to the idea. But he seems too busy (or doesn't want to bother) to really work on the maps, so why not let some other members that want to contribute take this over?

Anyway, this is an idea I cooked up in a matter of minutes, so I'm sure it has holes in it, but maybe could be useful in creating some ideas for this place. Also apologies if this hassss been discussed in such a way before. Didn't see a thread for it, so thought I might as well make one.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
Re: Create a Development Team for Official Maps?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 07:38:07 am »
I'm really sorry for actually being a lazy bum at this moment and not reading through your post properly, but I'm certain I should be able to do it after some sleep.

This thread is kinda off the beat though by just reading it quickly. If I question these things.
Do you know who these mods are and what they do?
What could the reason be why there haven't been any proper map updating since launch?
Which users "are" the official team?
Could new maps and patches maybe lay on the same play?
Why didn't the "official map pack" get into the game?

If you think about them a while I'm rather certain that it would at least make the whole situation seem more logical even though new questions might arrive, and if I'm going to be honest some might not be the most clever things to discuss.

I'm not going to start a big rant here or trying to ruin your thread over all, but when it comes to the map and it has been talk, and there will still be talk trying to sort new maps for the game most likely. If some more talk is done the right way, and I get things to move in a good direction anytime soon the game will most likely get somewhere with new maps, but it will take some time.

Thing is that this subject feel like it has a slight of bad timing when it comes to personal thoughts. Kov is aware of the maps I believe since it has been pointed out to him several times and even I myself had discussions about it and I'm hoping to flip the pancake around.

There's much I could write about this, but due to my lazy reading and grave need of sleep I will hold it for now, my excuses.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:40:51 am by Red »
Former community manager of FeralHeart

CloudFish

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 03:56:01 pm »
I think, in retrospect, the point Red is trying to get across is that none of this has happened because of problems with getting Kov to implement any of these new "maps" into the game.

The official map pack, the one released, I want to say in June or July of last year, was one made by the main moderators and admins of that time. However, they were not put into the actual game. Why? Well, I believe again, that was a lack of communication between the Feral  Heart forum's staff and the game creator Kov. And not on the staff's side either. They were included as a seperate download, just like a map I could make. They had to be accessed through the Cape Portal.

In previous posts/various threads, the idea of a map contest amongst the members has been considered and discussed. And most are in favor. However, Kov. This has to be put in through Kov. And for whatever reason, this hasn't been cleared, but it IS being discussed amongst "staff" and Kov himself.

Like Red, I'm not trying to bash your thread, it's just, this stuff has been covered and discussed before. And may put more pressure than needed on certain members to get said things done.

Offline Windance

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Om nom om om
    • View Profile
    • My Preset Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »
I think, in retrospect, the point Red is trying to get across is that none of this has happened because of problems with getting Kov to implement any of these new "maps" into the game.

The official map pack, the one released, I want to say in June or July of last year, was one made by the main moderators and admins of that time. However, they were not put into the actual game. Why? Well, I believe again, that was a lack of communication between the Feral  Heart forum's staff and the game creator Kov. And not on the staff's side either. They were included as a seperate download, just like a map I could make. They had to be accessed through the Cape Portal.

In previous posts/various threads, the idea of a map contest amongst the members has been considered and discussed. And most are in favor. However, Kov. This has to be put in through Kov. And for whatever reason, this hasn't been cleared, but it IS being discussed amongst "staff" and Kov himself.

Like Red, I'm not trying to bash your thread, it's just, this stuff has been covered and discussed before. And may put more pressure than needed on certain members to get said things done.

No offense taken from either of you lol. Glad this clarified what Red said, cuz I kind of had a hard time understanding his sleepy statement. XD

Yeah, didn't know when this was discussed before (but obviously it had to be a subject at some point), since I really haven't been part of the community for a long while. And I know there's a serious lack of communication on Kov's side, but maybe a bit of prodding over a long period of time and he'll get to work on something. Oh wells.