Author Topic: How to include FH's fur texture in your preset  (Read 42506 times)

Offline dharma

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
    • View Profile
How to include FH's fur texture in your preset
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:31:12 am »
Hi there,

Would you like to make your preset look more realistic? Well, I can show you how to do that, by using FH's awesome fur shading included with the program.

There are 2 methods I discovered for doing this, you can put it in your preset using Photoshop, Gimp, or Paint dot Net, or you can edit your preset's material file to overlay the fur texture. I recommend just overlaying the fur texture in the material file, but it's up to you.

Note: The difference between fbodyShade and cbodyShade is that f is for feline, and c is canine. Same thing applies for all of the shade files, except fmaneShade.jpg

Navigation
Use ctrl+F on the codes to the left to quickly jump to the section relevant to you:

(F01) Method 1: Integrate the fur texture into your preset design with Photoshop, Paint dot Net, or Gimp
(F02) Gimp - Using the fur texture on your preset
(F03) Paint dot Net - Using the fur texture on your preset
(F04) Photoshop - Using the fur texture on your preset
(F05) Method 2: Edit your preset's material file
(F06) Method 2 For Felines
(F07) Method 2 For Canines

Method 1: Integrate the fur texture into your preset design with Photoshop, Paint dot Net, or Gimp (F01)

Have Photoshop, Paint dot Net, or Gimp? You can use the fur shading in your texture without messing with the .material file. Here's how to do that: ;D

Go to C:\FeralHeart\media\textures, and look for fbodyShade.jpg if you are working on a feline preset, or cbodyShade.jpg if you are working on a canine preset.

For Gimp (F02)

Please be sure to back up your presets in case you mess up!

1. First, make your preset. Once it is all finished, you can add the fur texture to it.

2. Open cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg in Gimp, and open up your body preset in Gimp.

3. Bring up your body preset, and Select All (ctrl +A) and Copy it (ctrl + C)

4. Bring up the cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg, and then paste your body preset onto it (ctrl + v).

5. A new layer will appear called Floating Selection (Pasted Layer). Select this new layer in the Layers window (press ctrl + L if you cannot find the Layers window), and then click on the Normal box at Mode: Normal, and select Multiply in the list. The fur texture should show through your preset design.

Make sure the fur texture is the bottom layer on the layers list, or you will just get a white preset.

5. Save this new image as your body preset file. You will need to close your old body preset file from Gimp so it can overwrite it.

For the rest of the preset parts, just follow these same steps, but use either fheadShade.jpg/cheadShade.jpg, ftailShade.jpg/ctailShade.jpg, and fmaneShade.jpg, with their respective preset images. These are all found within C:\FeralHeart\media\textures

For Paint dot net (F03)

Due to the different interface, this varies some from Gimp and Photoshop.

1. First, make your preset. Once it is all finished, you can add the fur texture to it.

2. Open cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg in Paint dot Net, and open up your body preset in Paint dot Net.

4. Bring up the cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg, and then paste your body preset onto it (ctrl + shift + v). Make sure to use ctrl + shift + v to paste the body preset onto a new layer.

5. A new layer called Layer 2 will appear with your body preset on it. Select Layer 2 in the Layers window (if you cannot find the Layers window, press F7), and press F4 to get into the layer properties.

6. Find where it says Mode: Normal, and click the box that says Normal, and choose Multiply from the menu.

7. Now, the fur texture should show up through your preset design.

8. Save this new image as your body preset file. You will need to close your old body preset file from Paint dot net so it can overwrite it.

For the rest of the preset parts, just follow these same steps, but use either fheadShade.jpg/cheadShade.jpg, ftailShade.jpg/ctailShade.jpg, and fmaneShade.jpg, with their respective preset images. These are all found within C:\FeralHeart\media\textures

For Photoshop (F04)

It's pretty much the same as Gimp. XD

1. First, make your preset. Once you are happy with it, you can add the fur texture to it.

2. Open cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg in Photoshop, and open up your body preset in Photoshop

4. Bring up the cbodyShade.jpg or fbodyShade.jpg, and then paste your body preset onto it (ctrl + v).

5. A new layer called Layer 1 will appear with your body preset on it. Select Layer 1 in the Layers window (if you cannot find the Layers window, press F7), and then click on the Normal box just under the tab that says Layers, and select Multiply in the list. The fur texture should show through your preset design.

6. Save this new image as your body preset file. You will need to close your old body preset file from Photoshop so it can overwrite it.

Phew! That's the part of actually integrating the fur texture into your preset with Photoshop or Gimp. If you do not have them, or have no desire to do it this way, there's another method, editing the material file.

Method 2 - Edit your preset's material file(F05)

This method requires no image editing, but you do need to move the shade files to your presets folder and edit your preset's material file.

Note: The sections of the material file I show may differ from yours, if you have renamed the image files used, and if you have used a different preset file. You only have to add the parts that are in bolded red.

Method 2 For Felines (F06)

Note: The sections of the material file I show may differ from yours, if you have renamed the image files used, and if you have used a different preset file. You only have to add the parts that are in bolded red. Do not change anything else.

1. Locate fbodyShade.jpg, fheadShade.jpg, ftailShade.jpg and fmaneShade.jpg in C:\FeralHeart\media\textures.

2. Copy these files into your preset's folder.

3. Open your preset's material file in Notepad.

4. For the body, add the parts in bolded red to these sections of the material file:

material preset_1_bodyMatL
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1body.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture fbodyShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}
material preset_1_bodyMatR
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1body.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture fbodyShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

For the head, add the parts in bolded red to these sections of the material file:

material preset_1_headMatL
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1head.jpg
         }
          texture_unit
         {
                    texture fheadShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}
material preset_1_headMatR
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1head.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture fheadShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

For the tail, add the part in bolded red to this section of the material file:

material preset_1_tailMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1tail.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture ftailShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

Finally, the mane shading. If you have no interest in using a mane, you can disregard this. Otherwise, add the part in bolded red to this section of the material file:

material preset_1_maneMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         lighting off
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         depth_write off
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1mane.png
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture fmaneShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

Method 2 For Canines (F07)

Note: The sections of the material file I show may differ from yours, if you have renamed the image files used, and if you have used a different preset file. You only have to add the parts that are in bolded red. Do not change anything else.

1. Locate cbodyShade.jpg, cheadShade.jpg, ctailShade.jpg and fmaneShade.jpg in C:\FeralHeart\media\textures.

2. Copy these files into your preset's folder.

3. Open your preset's material file in Notepad.

4. For the body, add the parts in bolded red to these sections of the material file:
material preset_1_bodyMatL
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1body.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture cbodyShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}
material preset_1_bodyMatR
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1body.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture cbodyShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

For the head, add the parts in bolded red to these sections of the material file:

material preset_1_headMatL
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1head.jpg
         }
          texture_unit
         {
                    texture cheadShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}
material preset_1_headMatR
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1head.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture cheadShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

For the tail, add the part in bolded red to this section of the material file:

material preset_1_tailMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1tail.jpg
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture ctailShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

Finally, the mane shading. If you have no interest in using a mane, you can disregard this. Otherwise, add the part in bolded red to this section of the material file:

material preset_1_maneMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         lighting off
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         scene_blend alpha_blend
         depth_write off
         texture_unit
         {
            texture preset_1mane.png
         }
        texture_unit
         {
                    texture fmaneShade.jpg
         }

}
   }
}

All right, that's it, folks. Hope this tutorial was helpful for you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:41:10 pm by LordSuragaha »

TealSkeletore

Re: How to include FH's fur texture in your preset
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:23:28 am »
Thanks for this, it will be a lot of help for people having issues :3 Oh and you posted it in the wrong section, I'll move it to the Presets board and I'll sticky it for ya too.

choosen

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 05:49:31 am »
WOW thats grate.. to bad i dont have Photoshop or Gimp :/
(need to get them)

M-Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 06:07:39 am »
I use GIMP so this really helped.

Runningwolfpro

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:01 am »
Once again, thank you!(:

Offline dharma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 06:48:23 am »
I made it easier to navigate to the section relevant to you, and decided it's probably best if everyone just adds the fur texture after their preset is done, so they can still work with the uv maps and stuff.

Enjoy :D

Offline Ouuka

• Ramine's Nuudel
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Burp
    • Blue-Rakuen
    • SliferBeau
    • View Profile
    • Blue-Rakuen DA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:01:11 am »
This worked out great, only question i have is about the colors, the ones i use to color it didnt come out in end, like the purple came out a red, (first time ever doing preset so i know its something i did lol ) Can u help me and lemme know wat i did wrong<3

Offline dharma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 07:09:50 am »
Hmm, that's weird. Are you sure you selected "Multiply" on the list and not something else?

What image editing program did you use?

Offline Ouuka

• Ramine's Nuudel
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Burp
    • Blue-Rakuen
    • SliferBeau
    • View Profile
    • Blue-Rakuen DA
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 07:20:18 am »
I use Gimp and yes i used Multiply, ive done layers before for art work so i understood most of it, but when it was done the colors came out different, maybe its a color FH doesnt use? I can always try again and see if it happens with other colors, ^^; maybe i should leave the presets to experienced  ppl xD

Offline dharma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:16 am »
Hmm, I have an idea. Could you show me the color you used? I'll see if it becomes red for me, too.

By the way, I assume it turns red when you put the preset on in FH, right?