Author Topic: How you go about making Character Bios?  (Read 8981 times)

Offline RenegadeRaptor

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • The Wiccan Wolf
    • http://reccewolf.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
Re: How you go about making Character Bios?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:52:06 pm »
When I make a character Bio, normally I try to keep it Neat and organized. I normally use a template like this

(c)Username Here
Fandom Here
Date when Made
                                                                :Character Name Here:
|Character name here again|
|Age Here|
|Scent Here|
|Accent Here|
|Sexuality Here|

|Fathers name Here|
|Mothers Name here|
|Siblings here|
|Adopted Or Not|

|Interest in Here|
|Mate here|
|Broken heart by Name here|
|Mother/Father to name of pups here|

Resides in (Insert Name of Group here)|
|Holds the rank of InsertRank Here|
|Desires Rank Here|
|Mentored by Name here|
|Mentoring Name Here|

~Recce~

Offline Kitsuma15

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
    • Spring Hills
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »
Pretty simple like you said. I do sometimes lay a small personality, but always leave room for development! Gotta have character development. The small personality is more a guide for me. Like if x character is snarky and sassy, I need to act like that, until of course, character development makes the character tone it down, but everyone has a type that stands out from the rest.

I usually lay my bio like this.

Name:
Species: (Unless I'm doing a Warriors RP.)
Groups: (Usually I put the specific type i.e pride, pack, clan)
Crush:
Mate:
Children: (I usually put the type of baby here depending on species i.e. cubs, pups, kits)
Family: (Usually just the immediate family unless someone else is specifically playing as another member of my family i.e cousin or nephew.)
Personality: (Just the main parts. Always room for development)
Backstory: (Usually the reason why x character is there, and why x character acts the way they do. The rest if need be, is usually on the RP site if there is one.)
"Only those willing to listen can hold that passionate flame called leadership."
-Said by a scout master at a scout camp.

Offline Nevercanth

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Do you have preparedness to tell a lie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 07:48:20 am »
for me, the formatting really depends on the mood or what I'm feeling. I've done the template-like list way, but I've also put spins on it being, say, an interview, which an IC explanation and an OOC answer following. (I did that for my new character, Kichirou)

Imo, do as you want to! as long as it doesn't break the rules, it's good.

??? ???? ?? ??? ???????? "??????"

??? ?? ???

Legendary~Grace

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »
A lot of what has been commented above basically sums up how I do my bios minus a few details here and there. I keep it simple and hardly ever write in paragraph form in the bio section. I did once and that was only on a recruiting character.

My bios do have somewhat of a format. Reccewolf's bio format is fairly close to mine. I don't have scent though, usually not sexuality either, and depending on the character, I use a slight change in word choice.

As for longer bios on websites, I go all out. From backstories to others the character has met in roleplay.

Offline barghosts

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 21
  • free pizza for life
    • chewgags
    • chewgags
    • coffeemo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 02:19:14 pm »
Name:
Nickname:
Scent:
Rank+group:

Personality*:

Backstory*:

That is how I usually go about it in-game, of course being mindful of the bio limit.

P* For personality I usually do a sentence about how the character acts in general, a sentence about how they act towards stranger and a sentence about how they react to familiar faces. I leave most of it out in the open for people to discover any unspoken traits about the character, for development and discovery!

B* I don't do in-depth backstories because again: bio limit. But what I do is I make a summary of the most recent even that has affected the character, and let anything left out to be discovered by others that want to know about that character's lifestyle.

KERMIT IT'S NOT A COOKIE

Offline kinoei

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • nyeeeessss
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:25:27 pm »
Really, it just ranges from an actual, serious bio with quotes, important info about the character, stats, etc. to just 'hi' or 'no' or just random words. Nothing inbetween. I have no idea what happened there either.

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:32:27 am »
I write the bio in a style that suits the character, provided I have the motivation to do so.
E.I: Gui's bio is robot-styled... And I have yet to style the bios of the other characters I have.

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 06:44:50 pm »
I've actually done these before. Sometimes i write a story that's relevant. Sometimes i list data.  Or list a few chromosomes and leave it at that, but people would ask me what that meant.  One time someone told me that a bio made up of chromosomes made their biology degree a plaything of children.  I'm still not sure if that was a good thing or not.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 02:45:10 am »
When I make biographies for my characters, I like to keep things nice and simple so people can understand. I just put down some basic information, and a summary about the character. My character biographies usually look something like this...

Name: --
Species: --
Group: --

Family information, like a mate, children, etc.
Backstory: --

Themesong(s): -- (I do this with some characters)

Pretty simple and to the point, right?

I don't mind some biographies that go into more detail, but sometimes I wonder about some bio trends I've seen. This one trend I see is kind of my pet peeve, and I just don't understand why people feel the need to put some of this information in their character biographies. Consider the following...

https://imgur.com/a/EKNPA

I dare ask... what's the point of this? Attention? Some kind of bragging right? With personal information like that they may as well let everyone know MORE personal stuff about their character... like how many times they pooped, or how many times they've eaten a meal, or how many times they got sick, picked their nose, fell off the side of a mountain, failed a hunt, how many birds they ate, how many hairballs they coughed up, how many times they howled at the moon, got eaten by a lion, got caught in a bear trap, or the last Justin Beiber song they listened to. The point I'm trying to make here is it isn't necessary or really needed!

Sorry to go off into a little spat there, but it's an thought and opinion I had when it came to these character biographies.
Inactive

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 04:42:03 am »
Tbh i try to do, most of the time, a list of stuff necessary to rp like personality traits, rank, age, gender, health, recent wounds, and such, and i often put an OOC date for the age, like, for example "3 months as of month/day/year", so that i can keep clear track of aging, for i am addicted to it xP

sometimes i'll include a voice, a theme-song and maybe an accent. Like, a black tall wolf dude with gordon ramsay's voice... But plot twist
he's aussie instead. And his theme song is Raw Power from Guns n' Roses.
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0