Author Topic: What IS a Sparkledog?  (Read 21680 times)

Offline IceDarki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Hurr, durr.
    • View Profile
What IS a Sparkledog?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:06 am »
Title says all.
I've heard from people that sparkledogs tend to be characters with more than 4 drastically different colors, but sometimes I see people being accused of being sparkledogs from having up to 2~3 drastically different colors. I've also heard about being considered sparkle if you have a large number of unnatural growths and accessories, such as talons, horns, bows, poofy mohawks and rainbow-colored junk.

So, what do YOU guys think a sparkledog is?

Personally, I go for the 4+ Color rule. I think also having more than 3 unnatural growths or accessories is too much.

Offline Tetsune

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 83
  • It's not a crime to be brutally honest.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
Re: What IS a Sparkledog?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:47:06 am »
You're thinking a LITTLE too technically. xD

It's not the amount of colors, it's how bright and unnatural they are. They often wear accessories and piercings and such. Like a blue or green wolf. Nothing you would even CONCEIVE as calling a wolf in real life.
Most of the time, they also have horrible, marysue/garystu like stories or history.

Sparkles are not like a brown wolf with bright colored markings, in my opinion. Some people consider them to be.
A JACK OF ALL TRADES, YOU COULD SAY!
PRESETS | ITEMS | OBJECTS

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »
Wolf Link is green and has earrings. Does that make him a sparkle dog? |D No.

Bright, unnatural colors + too many accessories = Sparkle dog for me.

I like to think things a bit technically because there are some characters that have a couple of off colors and don't have accessories at all; colors that are actually BALANCED, and look cool, but are considered to be a sparkle dog. And in my opinion, it's just not fair to some people, because it's actually an original character, but it's viewed negatively, LOL.

Offline aelitastar

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »
my character sukira has bright red markings, but she's a pure black lioness, so i don't really think it would be blinding people or causing her to be a sparkle cat because of one flaw of colors. i see sparkle dogs/cats two or more neon colors in a most frequently seen place.
I am not who I was when I last left here, from the years '11 through '13. I sincerely apologize for how rude and disrespectful I had been, and hope whoever I have wronged before can forgive my previous bad behavior.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:31:28 am »
For me, this is the general definition:

Sparkledog or any sparkleanimal = A dog or another animal which has unnatural colours. Some are excessive and some are minor, some are disgusting because their creator knows nothing about colour theory, others look amazing.

All sparkle animals are different.

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:28:56 am »
My definition is pretty much the same as Teal's

Any animal with bright, unnatural colours. Some worse than others. Ranging from something that might have a few bright coloured markings or a glowing spot/stripe to full on rainbow barfed on, scene haired, tattooed, enough piercings to make them look like a pincushion, checkerboard markings...and so on |D

It's not the amount of colors, it's how bright and unnatural they are.
And this pretty much.

I think it also depends on the critter too, considering you wouldn't call a Scarlet Macaw sparkly. Whereas you put bright red, yellow and blue on a wolf and I'd consider it partly sparkly. (Actually it'd be more "oh god what" than sparkly |D )

The critters that are truely 100% sparkle thingies are the ones that are MSPaint neon coloured Scene things.

Offline IceDarki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Hurr, durr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:14 am »
Huh.....I guess it depends on the intensity, eh?

Offline Rendezvous

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:23:02 am »
My opinion of sparkledogs is very broad. I figure anything bright or rainbow, in the sense of being rather outstanding, counts as a sparkledog. A wolf running around with a hot pink pelt and electric blue markings? Sparkledog. But someone else has an orange mane and dark blue markings and red around the eyes... not a sparkledog. It's the really bright colours that count to me, especially on a bright under/pelt that makes someone a sparkledog.

horseg27

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:46:09 am »
In sense of the word sparkledog I take it as an unnaturally coloured canine. Is is a bad thing to have such a thing on FH? Noway! Honestly most of my charries have unnatural colours and I like that. And actually Rendezvous you just described one of my charries, pink pelt, with cyan markings, she also has a dark purple mane and tail tip. Yes I think she is a bit of a sparkledog but really pretty anyway.

Offline lemonpopsical

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:05 pm »
For me a sparkledog is any canine with unnatural colouring, I don't really count accessories unless they're excessive however. I don't see anything particularly wrong with sparkledogs, they're interesting to make. Most of my charas aren't sparkledogs though.