Author Topic: Wolf Speak makes your RP more realistic.  (Read 20336 times)

Offline Roki

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
  • 10 years now on FH... wow
    • Extaivia
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Wolf Speak makes your RP more realistic.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:13:38 pm »
I fully agree with you there.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »
I once joined 'realistic' pride. though we could speak, I didnt mind that much, many prides in which you can speak are considered realistic, because otherwise it gets slightly difficult to rp. (Even though I really want one like that. I've only ever found a cheetah rp that doesnt include speaking ;-;)
so I was ok with that. but then, I found that some people were black, white, and one even had purple markings. I put up with that. then we went to rp.........

Kamara(me): she lay her body down on the ground with a huff. she flicked her tail slowly, looking around at her new pride. she would have to get used to hunting under the lead of another lionness. she watched the rest of the group fill into the home site.
Tala(Queen):literate please kamara)) She swished her banner gently from one side to the other as he elegant pillers took her to her usual spot. her cranium span around , allowling her optics to scan the pride. her auds picked up the faintest sounds
Kamara has left the group

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 03:49:01 pm »
Kiaz, I died. That made me laugh so hard. I would have done the same!

Yes, Wolfspeak does not make you literate at all it makes every paragraph you post all about yourself and how elegant and beautiful your wolf is.
If my dainty pillars ever move me lightly along the hard terrain with my smooth banner held high above my cranium, shoot me.

Someone else mentioned RP post length, and I agree with them. I like short and sweet RP posts. Too many people also believe length means literacy and experience. I witnessed someone have to post three times because FH's chat box didn't give them enough room. They ended their post with ''(Short, sorry)''. I was stunned. What RP do you have to be in to consider a three paragraphed RP post short?

I always find waiting for people to post back walls of text explaining in great detail about them simply walking up to me asking who I am to be kind of annoying. No offence to them if they have the skill to do that but it just isn't necessary. Keep it simple, help the RP flow.

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:58 pm »
Especially given the nature of RPing on Feralheart. Because of the post limit and the general courtesy rule of not cutting people off, a pointlessly long post can really hold things up, especially if you're not really forwarding the plot.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »
I think there's varying degrees of realism in the 'realistic' category.

One of them being the really strict 'David Attenborough' style realism, where you behave exactly as your chosen species would in their natural and realistic setting. So, no healer ranks for wolves, for example, and every character has to have realistic colours and markings i.e. greys, browns and blacks, and no hair styles. This type of realism you don't see around very often.

Then there's the other type of realistic that allows some 'unrealistic' ranks and behaviours, such as the healer. But most other behaviours, communications and characteristics are realistic to the species, with the exception of hair styles. I think this type of realism leaves more room for creativity and individuality for players; because in the 'David Attenborough' type I described, nearly every character would look very similar and people might get bored easily. Personally, I prefer this type of realism for a roleplay.

As for wolfspeak, I'll be straight to the point. It makes you sound like a person with a thesaurus in front of them, and has veral diarrhea, with no knowledge of what the words they are using actually mean.  Because a lot of the time, these words are being used in completely the wrong context. Thus, your post, makes no grammatical sense. End of.

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:03 pm »
Kamara(me): she lay her body down on the ground with a huff. she flicked her tail slowly, looking around at her new pride. she would have to get used to hunting under the lead of another lionness. she watched the rest of the group fill into the home site.
Tala(Queen):literate please kamara)) She swished her banner gently from one side to the other as he elegant pillers took her to her usual spot. her cranium span around , allowling her optics to scan the pride. her auds picked up the faintest sounds
Kamara has left the group

Gee, I guess so-called realistic lion roleplays have "lionspeak"? I would have done the same thing and left the group without hesitation. I would want to have fun and roleplay, not speak a whole bunch of giberish just to try and sound "literate".

This whole talk about being realistic reminds me of a time I pulled the realistic playing card just to get a mate-begger off my back. I was on my male bobcat character, and this person who wanted to be mates with my character changed into a a female bobcat. She just automatically claimed to be my mate. I pulled this quote from the "When Mate-begging Goes Too Far" thread...

One of my character's daughters came onto the scene. Yes, Kojak has cubs. When his daughter came up to us, the female bobcat said to her...
F Bobcat: "I'm ___ and this is my mate, Kojak. What did you come here for?"
Bobcat Cub: "I came to see Kojak."
Kojak Bobcat: "This is my daughter."
F Bobcat: O.O Daughter? You already have a mate?
Kojak: "I do have a few mates. I used to have 5 but some of them got trapped by hunters."
F Bobcat: 5 MATES?! That's not right!
Kojak: Male bobcats can have more than one out in the wild. It's nature))
F Bobcat: So we are playing realistically?
Kojak: I always play realistically.
Bobcat Cub: Same here
F Bobcat: This is stupid -.-

So I eventually had to log off, and that's when it ended.

This is why most people don't like that kind of realistic roleplay. But hey, that's NATURE realistically. If you don't like it, don't pretend to live in it. But of course, some people don't know all about the lives of wild animals and how they live.
Inactive

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »
Especially given the nature of RPing on Feralheart. Because of the post limit and the general courtesy rule of not cutting people off, a pointlessly long post can really hold things up, especially if you're not really forwarding the plot.

Augh, yes!

People seem stuck in the mentality that the longer the post, the better the roleplay. I try to keep mine between one or two chunks of text, even though I'm capable of much, much more! The other person doesn't need to know how the moon reflects off my character's eyes, or how the wind gently bristles their fur; they merely need to do what my character's doing in relation to theirs. As a chat-based roleplaying format, too much unnecessary detail even detracts from the roleplay-- things need to be constantly moving.

I was once part of a group of roleplayers who had an odd "five paragraphs per post" rule. The roleplay was so drawn-out that it never, ever went anywhere; I often had to wait an entire fifteen minutes for the next post. They were skilled writers, but the entire endeavour was so unfathomably dull! :P

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:52:48 pm »
Good heavens, five paragraph rule? O_o I can only imagine... I think I've only ever gone on that long during those times when there are only two or three people RPing and no one has nowhere else to go that day so everyone sits around waxing poetic. XD Otherwise I just feel guilty for taking up space.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:21 pm »

People seem stuck in the mentality that the longer the post, the better the roleplay.
I was once part of a group of roleplayers who had an odd "five paragraphs per post" rule. The roleplay was so drawn-out that it never, ever went anywhere; I often had to wait an entire fifteen minutes for the next post. They were skilled writers, but the entire endeavour was so unfathomably dull! :P

Say whaaaaaat?! I would have lost patience if I had to wait for someone to write out a 5 paragraph post just to sound all literate and such. That's just downright unusual, I tell ya. I seriously think that it doesn't matter how long the post is... it's the quality that counts, not the quantity of the words.
Inactive

Offline PumkinPie5764

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Keep your attitude to yourself. I have my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:40 pm »
Meh, ''Wolf speak?'' Heh...This is kind of awkward. I have always hated wolf speak. I also don't see anything wrong with manes. I mean, without manes your wolf you created, I think, looks quite plain, even though my fursona was made without one. But I made it that way cause he is extremly realistic. Almost all my other characters have manes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Now, on back to wolfspeak. Wolfspeak...I say is for people who really don't know how to speak. ''Bark Bark.'' Wow. I don't even know what that person is trying to say. Oh wait, I know, ''I can't talk I'm to realistic.'' If kind of gets on my nerves, though it's rare. So, I agree with most of the people above, It's stupid and it's nonsense that people say, ''It's realistic.''

Thank you for this art, Mayasacha! :3
Character Bio
(Coming Soon..)