Author Topic: Wolf Speak makes your RP more realistic.  (Read 20339 times)

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
Re: Wolf Speak makes your RP more realistic.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »
I agree with the above, manes do look right on some characters. You can see in my avatar that I am partial to a mowhawk myself. But the character in my avatar is a species I made up and isn't in one particular RP. (Mostly because none will take him on).

I find if someone is taking a long time to post  their part to the RP I lose interest really fast. It takes a bit out of you to have the patience to hang in there waiting. I have actually left groups because of it. You could just tell that they couldn't think of anything to type down to make their posts long, but the pressure put on them by other RPers meant they didn't want to put short posts down.  Which is wrong really, people shouldn't feel pressured to type out masses if they just can't. For me, the feral heart chat box give me just enough room. If I go over what it allows I shorten it.

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:07 pm »
he swished her banner gently from one side to the other as he elegant pillers took her to her usual spot. her cranium span around , allowling her optics to scan the pride. her auds picked up the faintest sounds

This both makes me laugh, and makes me want to flip tables. Because out of the above post, even though I knew exactly what this person was saying, this is what my mind translated:

"She waved a flag gently from side to side as her elegantly carved cylindrical rocks took her to her usual spot. Her head spun around in a circle, allowing her eyes to scan the pride for viruses. Her auditors picked up the faintest sounds."

Does that make any sense to you? 'Cause it sure didn't to me. XD And I chose "auditors" because "auds" is NOT a freaking word! I recently made a blog post about this. For any of you interested, it's here: http://tfaorp.blogspot.com/p/the-problems-with-lyricism.html Just beware of the length. XD
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline Killian

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Something smart and mysterious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:51 am »
Very true there Mondevu, though sometimes I see people ''wolf speaking'' and sadly I struggle to understand a word their saying. Some people use it so much there isn't a single recognizable word in their post. I did have a screen shot of one that made me ill just reading it, he made his wolf sound like this guy http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121218131312/silent/images/thumb/2/27/MANNEQUIN_SPIDER.JPG/500px-MANNEQUIN_SPIDER.JPG from the silent hill movie. It had pillars and auds sticking out everywhere.

BlackHolesAndRevelations

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 08:51:50 pm »
Alright, opinions. I love opinions. Also, a rant. Okay.
I think that a realistic roleplay doesn't mean exactly what you say. I think there can be a bit of slack on it. Personally, I don't think you have to be completely realistic colors, no mane, few tufts, brown eyes, etc. I like originality, so I stick towards the semi-realistic side, and fun plots. Once in a while I like a realistic RP, but not THAT realistic. That's more.. Extreme realism. I like the standard realistic roleplays, because you still have freedom with the RP and your character. It's opinion, though.~

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 05:04:00 am »
Revelation. Your post.

Nailed it.

Roleplaying is supposed to be FUN and LEGIBLE. If you're militant about appearances and the very freaking words other people type, you aren't running a roleplay that's worth jack diddly.

And Nathan, totally agree. I had a post that just confused the hell out of me, and I did my best to recreate it in that blog I linked you to on Lyricism. :/

I've even come across this mess while in otherwise good RPs. It was just one lyricised sentence, but it still made me tilt my head. The post was this:

"A nose was upon her dermal pushing warm breath, that steamed from the winter pelt she grew."

And my brain translated it this way:

"A nose was on her skin and her fur was breathing."

You might as well say something like this, if you're going to be that bizarre.

"If you insist in your vexatious prognostications I will be forced to horizontalise your perpendicularity"
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline Flamestar

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 9
  • "For the Clans!"
    • View Profile
    • Moonrise~ Warrior Cats
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 02:02:38 pm »
...Technically, no Rp in FH is truly realistic. NONE. NOOONNNEEEE. Why? Because the characters SPEAK. Do wolves speak? Nu. Do cats speak? NU. Do any animals except for some birds and humans speak? NUUUUUUUU. So really... no Rp you join will ever be truly realistic. Example of actual realism:
Alpha Wolf: The large wolf growled at his packmate, glaring down at him.
Omega: He whined, crouching, and stared up at the alpha, exposing his throat and moving his tail between his legs.
Alpha: The alpha huffed and began to trot away.

Dat is realistic..... Notice how they don't talk? Unrealistic but SEEMS realistic:

Naki: "Hi!" she barked as she rushed over to her brother. "Did you catch anything?"
Muri: "No," he growled solemnly. "Nothing. There's no prey."

Now. that LOOKS realistic, but what is the problem? Talking. Talking wolves makes the difference. So people... don't complain about Rps advertising as realistic and not truly being realistic, because NO Rp will ACTUALLY be realistic. .-. Not even yours, because I'm sure your character talks.
"The Slenderthayne are nothing but evil... the Clans will vanquish them, and we can live in the light once more.... For the Clans, die, Darkoblivion!" ~Moonstar's battlecry against the Slenderthayne

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 02:35:18 pm »

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »

Offline sparticles

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 51
    • http://spartay.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 06:56:55 pm »
In my opinion wolf speak shouldn't be used and if your going to do a realistic role-play then it should be realistic. Many roale-plays I have seen beeing advertised usually say '100% realistic' and you join only to find out the rp is only 50% realistic. And that usually leave the realistic role players dissapointed as they're joining a semi-realistic role play!.
One I joined the wolves could talk, they had mawhawks, could swim under water for ages, killed elk alone, killed eachother etc. That is not realistic! A single wolf cannot bring down prey as big as an elk alone (this also goes for prides etc) they can only hunt rabbits (etc) alone, a wolf can't speak therefore you should use body language to help communicate this would make the rp a whole lot interesting and giving us more to work out, if a wolf stayed under water for ages it would drown, and a wolfs couldn't kill another instantly it would take quite a lot of fighting until on was injured or even killed. Along with many other 'moves'.
In my opinion if your going to make a realistic role play then do it properly, acting like they would exactly in nature; hunting in groups, not instantly killing eachother, not staying uner water for ages and using body language to communicate not actually talking. Well that's my opinion anyway. I myself prefer to realistic role-plays as I find they are more fun then the semi, but others may think differently.
Discord: Most active here, DM me for it.
DA Account

Signature: ImmatureGirl on DA.

Wynterr X

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:25 pm »
I have mixed feelings on Wolf-Speak. I prefer when it is not used, but I don't mind a FEW scattered Wolf-Speak words, as long as it's obvious to what they mean. ^_^ And I agree with the whole healer thing. Wolves can treat their wounds like cats realistically would, by licking them; not by using herbs and leaves.

I think, discussing human-like topics, such as cars and humans themselves, wolves should be able to have another name for those, but when it comes to made-up words that the characters use instead of real words, I can't stand it. For one, there are a lot of people who probably have no idea what that even means or what you're trying to say. Two, it would get annoying when you're trying to roleplay normally and then someone posts a sentence that is just a bunch of random Wolf-Speak stuck together, not even in sentence format!