Poll

Should Name's be copyrighted if you thought of them?

Yeah! It's my name that I thought of, no WAY that name stealer could think of my 14-letter exotic name!
5 (17.2%)
Yes, but only if I didn't take if off a website or something
5 (17.2%)
Maybe, it depends if I think that they copy'd me
4 (13.8%)
No. A name is a name, nothing more
13 (44.8%)
No! It's a common name get over yourself!
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: May 28, 2013, 12:17:31 am

Author Topic: Name-Stealers  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Toxic Reverie

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Name-Stealers
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 03:51:10 am »
Honestly, I don't think it's really possible to 'steal' a name, unless it's a really unique, exotic name that you came up with. A name like Shadow, Creed, Arrow, Ruby, and the like aren't names that I could consider stolen by anyone since they're so common as it is.

But, to be honest, I wouldn't get too worked up about it unless they steal the actual design of your character.
I no longer log on to this account on the forums.

Offline Kitscourge

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Raise your hands to the level of your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:48 pm »
Once my sister was playing on Knoiy, her character with a random name she made up with mass-maskings then BAM! Another Knoiy with the same exact markings but a male shows up.Those are the people that annoy me and need an imagination of their own!But simply just names, that's nothing to worry about.It actually makes me laugh when I have a themed char like The Phantom OTO (of the opera) And someone makes a char with the same name but doesn't know what it's from or what it really looks like.Ahh, It gives me a reason to whisper some sence into them. ~Erik
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:57:02 pm by ThePhantom »
If I were truly dead, you would not see the words that I'm typing!
Find me in-game as ~ThePhantom~

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 06:44:19 pm »
You know what maybe all my character's names are? Swahili names. Yeah, a Kamaria or a Zuri will come along once in a while, but if they ever accuse me of stealing their name I just say:

Nope. I found it on Google Translate.

XD but that's where I found em....

So I've never really had anything with a name stealer, so I don't have much to say.

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:38 pm »
You know what maybe all my character's names are? Swahili names. Yeah, a Kamaria or a Zuri will come along once in a while, but if they ever accuse me of stealing their name I just say:

Nope. I found it on Google Translate.

XD but that's where I found em....

So I've never really had anything with a name stealer, so I don't have much to say.

Hehe, I'm exactly the same, except I Google Translate into Irish/Gaelic. My main character, Reithe, has a name resultant of Google Translate. I have a character who isn't on FH, though, whose name is Aisling, and I've seen multiple other Aislings running around. I don't get mad at them or anything; I just say to myself in my head, "Oh, I have a character with that name."

Basically if a character's name is a real word, whether in English or some other language, there's not really a way for them to have stolen it because... you know, it's a word people use.

Then there's just... names. Things people name their kids. For example, my green wolf (who is in my signature at the moment) is named Vincent, and I've seen plenty of other Vincents, but he has a pretty basic name that's a real name people give their kids or whatever, so there's really no reason behind saying somebody stole it. But if it's some unique name you made up yourself (such as my non-FH character named Syukra), then you should get a bit suspicious.

I haven't run into anyone who has stolen my name so far, though.

Offline avomeir

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • "What a twist of events..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »
It is rather annoying all the same, but there isn't much one can do in this situation. I personally tend to keep my characters meant for roleplay, within a private map. Therefor eliminating the issue altogether, for rude name stealers do not have access to the name. However, when out lurking about you can't always protect your names, as much as we would all love to we can't. Though trust me, I feel your pain.
Find me in game on Volaticus.~
Signature - TrinityZiel@dA -- Avatar - Attsos.
Somewhat inactive via forums due to a variety of different things.

Offline Kona

• Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Glitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »
I've dealt with such things before, it's quite annoying when they copy everything about you, and pass it of as theirs. Then tell you they'll report you if you don't change it. I've had it happen once or twice, I just walk away and move on. They're just Trolls or trying to get attention, well I'm not going to let them get their way. So just walk away, and pretend they don't even exist if you see them and they start that stuff.

Signature by ISeeYou/GoldRadium

Offline SparkFenx

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »
Honestly, if anyone copies my name or design on FH in an obvious way, I'm flattered.
It means they like my designs/names and want one for themselves. Sure, they copied, but that's okay.

Offline Satsuki

• Floof-O-Meter: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 07:49:16 pm »
I know that feeling. A few weeks ago, I saw a player who had spelt their name the same way as mines, but in a different way. Was I was offended by this? Yes. Did I let it crawl underneath my skin? No. Like others had said on here you cannot really do anything when it comes to name stealing. Even if it was a unique name that you thought of someone else probably had that thought of that name before you.

Like on Deviant Art, I had an original character called Kona, she was a princess... After four months a random deviant had told me that he had a OC character named Kona. Of course I thought up Kona this year, and he had made His Kona two years ago before mines. Coincidence maybe? No matter how much it boils your brain you cannot get mad at someone coming up with the same or similar name as yours, they may not know that you had that name first.  Now I can understand that if there was a random player that went up to your character and paused, and looked at your character for a second.

Then decides that he or she will log off and few minutes later they come popping right back up with your character's name and run off. Now that I can get mad at, if the name you had was made up and is not exactly a common name you will see a player is roaming as in feral heart.

"This awesome drawing of Valarie is by the great and awesome LordSuragaha~"

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:35 pm »
Why are we even calling it name /stealing?/ For goodness sake, when it comes to things like this you are never as "creative" as you "think" you are. Even if you make up something out of random sounds. I'll give you a little example. My mother admited that when she and my father gave me my name, that she thought she was being "so creative" because it was a modified version of a normal name and she had never heard of it before. Guess what? Turns out its a VERY old name that nobody uses anymore. Point being, someone came up with it first despite all evidence pointing to the contrary at the time.

Some of these posts I've read seem so fussy, even the ones from people that have acknowledge that it happens to everyone now and then and it sucks. Why are you so worried about it? Its a name. It does not matter who came up with it first because in the grand scheme of things, no one cares. They really don't care and if they like it, they will use it and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. You can't stake a claim on a name and neither can they so its not that big of a deal.  :/

Offline BlueKinTsukiko

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 02:15:30 am »
I understand why people get so bothered when their name is stolen now, it has actually recently happened to me and a character of mine named Lucian. I thought it was rather creative and going back to my romanian heritage it just made me proud, till I logged on and than someone in the map logged, came back and made a character on a wolf, with the same name. I flat out told them it urkes me that here we are on the same map, and they still had the galls to copy me when they know I hate it when people ask to use something similar to that I am using without permission. Than a day or two later, I found out now that theres 5 others who are using the name...x-x...just no, why can't they make up their own name...Its FH, be creative by being different not the same people, yes I don't own the name but I own a character who uses it so why copy something when you can be your own?