Author Topic: You're either going to watch cautiously, growl at me, or stare at me. Seriously.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Long title is long. Anyway, what I'm getting at is, I've noticed after RPing with many, many, MANY different people in different ways that the mass majority of people when a RP begins and their character happens upon a nonthreatening stranger.... these are three key things that they ALWAYS do. They "perk their ears up and watch cautiously," "growl in warning" or "stares at the stranger" EVERY single time. I don't know if its a poor expression of a character but I've seen this EVERYWHERE. Its done regardless of personality, and often regardless of RP ability (although I admit it is more common with the novice RPers but that is beside the point, I still see it VERY frequently in more advanced RPers too). Now I could understand if your character has been, oh I don't know, severely beaten down or is naturally cautious but this EVERY character type doing it. The nice ones. The bad ones. The social ones, the antisocial ones. Its like for the first few minutes of a RP, its like everyone's characters forgets what they would have been doing before they noticed and acts like the world [or in this case, the other character] could potentially be out to get them.

I'm just wondering after hundreds of RPs, both in groups and one on one, why do people let their characters turn into skittish "deer" for the first few minutes of a RP. Does a social person act aggressive to, run away from, or stare at strangers on the street?! No! They go up and say hello [or they dont and wait until you approach them and do the same, but again thats beside the point] I can understand a growl from an aggressive character but even "nice and sweet" characters and even the weak/skittish ones do it too.

A lot of these people RP their characters as if they've /never/ across a stranger before. If you don't think a person would logically do it in real life if it doesnt suite their personality, why would you RP a character with the same personality in that manner at all? Honestly, if we all stopped, stared, yelled profanity at/grumbled at ("growled"), or became cautious/frightened at every person we had never seen walk down the street, we'd never get anything done. So why do so many people's characters do it? I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all and its made the starts of a lot of RP's particularly predictable and boring as of late. ._.;
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:19:49 am by Silhouette »

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Well, some reason behind growling, is the fact wolves are territorial.

But I see where your coming from, and I totally agree. I have 3 characters I RP with, and these are their responses to seeing a stranger
 -cheerfully approach
 -imidiatly approach and interrogate
 -freeze and hide

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
Well, some reason behind growling, is the fact wolves are territorial.

But I see where your coming from, and I totally agree. I have 3 characters I RP with, and these are their responses to seeing a stranger
 -cheerfully approach
 -imidiatly approach and interrogate
 -freeze and hide

But so are some human beings. There are reasons why we have "No tresspassing signs" and I don't mean ones set up for commerical or government property. Some human beings are territorial and if you hunt on or even just cross their land, they WILL shoot you. So really, I don't see the "wolves being territorial" as much of an excuse. Wolves also sleep for many hours a day but I don't see people RPing /that/ to standard either. (Not trying to sound harsh, mind you. ^.^;)

What Im getting at is, the three responses I pointed out are always the same, always bland, and often void of thought.

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
I find it so out of character when the "nice and sweet" characters go for the "I'm going to growl at you because I don't know you" technique.

I think the reason people's characters do these kind of things is because... well... they're playing as animals. Standard cases out in the wild, that's how most animal species will act toward each other, especially members of the canine and feline family. You really won't see a bobcat go up to a coyote and they start shaking paws while saying "Howdy do?" now would you? No, of course not.

Humans don't really growl at each other or stare nervously at a person they've never met before. The way humans socialize with each other is different from the way animals do. So I'm thinking the reason why so many people do the whole growl/stare/snarl/shy away from on their characters is they are trying to potray what their animals species would do out in nature. Animals do those kind of things because its just their instincts.

Most of the characters I have usually just watch strangers curiously or cautiously. My elusive skittish characters will watch strangers while they hide, while my not-so-skitish lazy characters will just watch with curiosity.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:53:58 am by Lady_Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile

I think the reason people's characters do these kind of things is because... well... they're playing as animals. Standard cases out in the wild, that's how most animal species will act toward each other, especially members of the canine and feline family. You really won't see a bobcat go up to a coyote and they start shaking paws while saying "Howdy do?" now would you? No, of course not.

^ Pretty much summed up what I was thinking. While I do understand where you're coming from this just seems to be the norm if you're trying to rp as a wild animal. Most wild animals initial reaction to a stranger is going to be aggressive straight off to let that stranger know where their place is and that that's their territory etc or it will be cautiously curious. It's rare that you get any other greeting from that unless it's a domestic pet that's been socialized a lot and is just friendly.