Author Topic: The Floof-O-Meter: Why?  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Birdi

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • Whatcha lookin at chump?(Ingame user: Birdi)
    • View Profile
    • My DA
The Floof-O-Meter: Why?
« on: December 01, 2013, 04:54:32 pm »
I think we all know what this little meter is, but what's the real point of it? I feel really alone when I see all the popular people like mods, etc. with the 50+ karma. It makes me feel degraded, like nobody really likes me (even though I'm sure my friends do). But really, what's the point of it? To make others feel good about themselves, maybe, but it makes those with low karma feel not-popular and not really liked. I know I don't have much to back up here, but seriously. I know you can't have negative karma, but having 0-5 floofs is basically like -100 compared to lots of the popular people around FH. I'm not sure if anyone feels this way too, but it's how I feel and I just wanted to let others know. So, the floof-o-meter: why do we have it and is it really that great?

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
Re: The Floof-O-Meter: Why?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:03:04 pm »
The Floof-O-Meter is a little addition to your profile so other users can give you a "floof" when you're being helpful or nice. The "popular" members of the forums earned their floofs by being just that what I listed before.
People floof each-other when they believe the other user has done something that deserves one. Nobody should judge another simply by their floof-o-meter, and nobody sees anybody different just because of one little gadget. If you're active, helpful and nice and generous around the forums, you'll get a floof for sure.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:09:49 pm »
I keep coming across topics very similar to this one. The 'Floof-O-Meter' is basically Karma for the ones who help a lot around the forum. The whole point of the Floof-O-Meter is to praise the hard working and the members that give a lot to the game. I understand that you may feel degraded but you shouldn't be. Even though Moderators and other staff have 50+ Karma/Floof does not make them popular, they're well know for their hard work and devotion within the game and forum. Indeed we all understand that the 'unpopular' feel un-liked, but it isn't at all about popularity.

People earn their Floof as I said before. Many people love the Floof-O-Meter because its creative and possibly makes them feel more praised online unlike people do in reality. When a person feels you've done something inspiring or helpful for another user, or for the game, they will give you a nuzzle to show that they appreciate the help that person gives, or then might even want to encourage you to do more.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:02 am »
Like the others have said above the Floof-O-Meter is just a little contraption that lets other people know how much that they are appreciated and have given a helping hand around the forums.

I used to be discouraged when I first joined the forums. But then I started to work harder. Post more often, help others more and contribute something to the forums.

You see, the Floof-O-Meter isn't about popularity, it's about helping others and being kind c: If I ever see someone with more nuzzles then me then it only motivates me to work harder :3

I sometimes see nuzzles given out to people who make presets, mods, maps and even just making an interesting character bio. I hope this helps you with your discouragement, even I don't have many nuzzles, but I still try harder c:

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »
How people interpret the floof-o-meter and nuzzles is completely up to them. But I would encourage people, such as yourself, to not see smaller numbers as a negative thing. After all, the number can only increase. It might give people the incentive and motivation to put more time and effort into the community to try and get more floof, if those numbers really matter to them.
We must consider though that how long a person has been registered on FeralHeart will be a contributing factor to how much floof they have. A person who has been registered few a couple of weeks will probably have less floof than someone who has been registered for a couple of years.
It can be very easy to believe that people don't like or appreciate you for what you do, especially in places where there are lots of people, I know. You'll try your hardest to be noticed by others but still other people get credit when it seems like you're being completely ignored. Don't be disheartened by that; here it may take a lot of persistence to be noticed and nuzzled by others. All the reason to continue working hard, eh? :)

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:58:42 pm »
If you're viewing the floof o meter count as a badge of popularity that's already a bad start.

Sure if you have some friends or people who really admire you you might get an extra floof from time to time but the real meat of the numbers comes from people thanking you for help and favors. I know that's where I got most of mine. The more active you are in helping around the community and getting engaged the higher your chances at getting higher floof. In all honesty though floof is just a number though. I like plenty people in this community and admire the helpfulness of many but I don't always run around floofing. Does that mean I don't appreciate that person? No not at all.

Every member in this community is a valued member regardless of so called popularity, floof, or status. When I started I had a low floof count but that didn't mean much to me. I didn't feel like any less of a member. The floof o meter is fun and exciting when you get mysterious love nuzzles but it's not at all a sum of your worth here or how cool you are etc. I've seen plenty awesome people with low numbers and that doesn't mean a thing. Your personality and helpfulness is the true badge of honor that shines past the floof :)

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
If you're viewing the floof o meter count as a badge of popularity that's already a bad start.

Lord has an excellent point here.
Try to view the Floof-O-Meter as how much you've helped people. The more you help others or do something in the community, you'll receive more floofs.

Try to get in a habit where if you see someone with more floofs. Encourage yourself to work harder. It's what I do. It feels good helping others. Don't view it as popularity. View it as helpfulness.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:12:30 pm »
Going along with what StarGazer said also remember even if you are helpful you may not always get a floof for it. You should just do good for the sake of doing good and helping, don't always expect a reward. Your real reward is knowing you're contributing to the community and helping. Floof is just an added perk.

Offline anole04

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • Ingame: anole04
    • View Profile
    • WolfOne on Scratch
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
Oh yeah I waz wondering the same thing... OHMAYGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM NOW>>>>>AWSOMER AND FLOOFY!!!<<<<< 25th POST XD
"Am I a saint, or am I a sinner? I am neither. I am both. I am Wolf." ~Me!
[img=FeralHeart-Wolf-Paint1]