Author Topic: Evil Characters?  (Read 18054 times)

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
Re: Evil Characters?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 03:41:35 pm »
That whole post sums up with what happened to the  Endless Forest community and their characters (oi I keep bringing that game up XD; ).

I have to agree here, yeah drama/conflict/character clashes/and so on can be interesting in the beginning but when gradually every person has and wants their character to be the evil one, it gets very tiresome and repetitive.
When pretty much every new character that's created is evil/emo/dark etc and is a clone of the previous character it's just so...those characters do begin to lose their appeal and instead of seeing them as "Hey that's new" it's more along the lines of "Gah. Another one?"

I do still like evil charcters, but when they're the repeated "I'M SO MISUNDERSTOOD. I HAVE SO MUCH RAGE BECAUSE I'M THE LORD OF SUFFERING. I KILLED MY MUM AND MY DOG. AAAAAAAAAAAAAANGST" it sucks. I find characters like that impossible to like.
I don't understand how people find generic angry abusive character no434 who acts like generic angry abusive character no206 to be so "OMGHOT."

I think it's semi-sad that in order to get people interested some character has to be dead/dying/abused/raped. 'Good' characters can be just as interesting with their smaller problems and happier times.
People can still use those darker plot devices, but when they're just thrown/shoved infront of you just like that, and then when people keep doing it...it's so boring.
It's like these two OCs that I know of, they've been in an abusive relationship for probably nearly two years. And it's the same over and over again, OC1 is beaten/raped/abused by OC2 (and or whoever else gets tossed into the scenario), OC1 and OC2 have cuddle times and then OOP it's time for rape again. It seems like that's all they do and nothing else. I just do not understand how people are attracted to that and how people fangirl over it for so long.

Drama and dark plots and 'evil' characters can be interesting. But when it's the same generic stuff with little to no depth or point it's dull.

Offline PixiSpit

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Pixi Spit
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:21:01 am »
I'm not agreeing with the trolling idea, but I think evil characters are good for adding a little bit of drama into rp's to spice it up a little.
I mean at the end of the rp everyone knows you're not really a bad person and you were just staying in character, but the odd bit of drama in rp's is sometimes good to make it more interesting :)

although saying that, I think evil characters have to be done properly.
It's sort of annoying when someone tries too hard to make their badguy "badass" and ends up power playing to a point where there's no point even trying to fight em off.
Like... ive joined an rp before and I was only in it for 10 minutes before the bad guy wrote a one shot on my character and killed me o_O
I don't mind being killed in rp but come on! XD fight fare!

My bad guys nearly always wind up dead by the end of the rp X3 or if not dead then mortaly wounded or chicken out.
I think handicaps and beleivable power limits are important on evil characters to keep them out of the annoying catergory.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:35:08 am by PixiSpit »

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:00 am »
I don't think I've seen any decent evil characters at all O_o aside from my friend's and mine.

Then you should look around more carefully. I've got a few dark/evil characters that aren't all "I KILL PANCAKES" (lol, that is so going in my vocabulary)... Like Teal, I like my dark/evil characters to have a reason as to why they're like that.

For a "dark" character example: I have a wolf character (in a PG13+ private rp) whom in his past, prior to the rp, was a perfect gentleman. He had a mate, whom he loved very much, and they were expecting their first litter. Then one night, while crossing a highway, the pair were hit by a hit-n-run driver. His mate and unborn pups died, and he himself, aside from the physical deformities from the accident, suffered a large amount of brain damage. The brain damage made him "dark"; he's unable to control when he swears, he has a twitch that makes him lick his chops sometimes, he's crude, he openly insults others, and he's unable to think thoughts without blurting them aloud. But the pack he's in begrudgingly accepts his presence, because he's helped save their tushies on more than one occasion.

This is surely an element people with pancake-killers don't like/bother to think out. They just want to be feared, without any of the work. XD
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 03:02:13 am »
I dunno, I generally filter through characters ingame while in F3 mode click on a few and they're generally..well...|D

I've also looked through the rp board here and mostly it's always things like "WARRIOR CATZ RP SUNSHINEFORESTFACE CLAN" or "HIGHSCHOOL ANIME RP" or "WOLF PACK OF THE STARSONG" or "FANTASY HIGHSCHOOL RP." I guess the only decent ones are private ones.

I have Ren, that I've mentioned a million times XD Ren's pretty much a manipulative bully who can be incredibly nasty if you make him angry.

And I also have another who could be classified as "evil" but not in the conventional sense. He's/It's a little demonic poltergeist type spirit who causes insomnia. He also doesn't speak. He chooses not to speak unless it involves scaring someone. He usually communicates via gestures and emotes in any rps he's in XD

TealSkeletore

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 04:20:12 am »
Here are some some characters that I had in the past:

Regui - he was once good, cruel sometimes, but good. To his family, his friends. A certain series of events affected him badly and became a strange and vicious cannibalistic beast. He had no memories of his family how ever he was oddly drawn to them. He stalked them and attacked them, attempting to devour them. He was eventually slayed, and returned as a broken soul, forgiven by the majority of his family but feeling uncomfortable around them.

Shinjitsu - a power hungry, lying and manipulative lion who cares for nothing but personal gain.
He hasn't been roleplayed much so he is not very developed.

Dune - he was powered to avenge his family and murder his brother who had betrayed them and caused the downfall of their empire. He is bitter and sarcastic, and has a heart filled with hate. Eventually the brothers made up but, but he's still not the best person around.

See? No super powers, no OMG EMU I KILLED MY MUMMY WHEN I WAS A CUB 8C Just some well thought out characters with good plots.

Evil characters have such a bad reputation because noobs try to play as them and they know nothing about character development, and they have no imagination and just copy the stereotypical evil characters.

I have to say though, one of the best bad guys of IT was Dante Donovan fo' sure B)

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:18 am »
Yeah, I don't know why people think that in order to have an evil character they MUST MUST MUST have some kind of super power.

Who's Dante if you don't mind me asking? XD; I never hung around the IT forums.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:25 am »
Dante Donovan was played my Verycrazygirl and he was well known during the height of the Meurtrier and Blitzkrieg war. He was the dominant male of Meurtrier and was mates with KIller (played my Moonlight_tiger) who too was pretty well known for this. This was in 2008 and about the first half of 2009.

There were some other pretty well known characters that spawned up during that time which would be familiar to the oldies of IT XD

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 07:09:52 am »
Oh man, I don't have an evil character, will I ever fit in?

*runs off to make a sickly cliche evil guy*

He's black furred wolf with red. He killed his family because someone wouldn't own up to drinking the last glass of chocolate milk. Oh they paid. After the murder, he remembered that he was the one who drank the last of the chocolate milk, and he should ask his mom to get more. Only his mom isn't around anymore. At that time a dark faerie came up from hell and cursed him to live eternally until he can drink chocolate milk again. Every so often for no reason except when roleplay spotlight isn't on him, his multiple personalities start arguing, each one eviler than the last. Oh and he has a curse that causes his blood to be black and attack orphans without mercy. He can shatter rainbows with a glance, and children cannot sleep after being near him because his aura causes violent nightmares.

Oh and he smells like black roses and death.

Offline DimensionGal

• The Poison Dragon's Tainted Lily
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • aka Kerrigan the Mapmaker
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art page
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:25 am »
He's black furred wolf with red. He killed his family because someone wouldn't own up to drinking the last glass of chocolate milk. Oh they paid. After the murder, he remembered that he was the one who drank the last of the chocolate milk, and he should ask his mom to get more. Only his mom isn't around anymore. At that time a dark faerie came up from hell and cursed him to live eternally until he can drink chocolate milk again. Every so often for no reason except when roleplay spotlight isn't on him, his multiple personalities start arguing, each one eviler than the last. Oh and he has a curse that causes his blood to be black and attack orphans without mercy. He can shatter rainbows with a glance, and children cannot sleep after being near him because his aura causes violent nightmares.

Oh and he smells like black roses and death.

This. Is the best badguy ever. EVER.

He clearly needs to found his own pack of MPD chocolate milk-drink desperadoes. They'll roam Fluorite Planes, talking in caps all the time, and when someone tells them to stop, they'll engage in multi-personality rage warfare.
?Mapmaker serving 16,700+ Feral Heart users?

Ritza

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 03:49:03 am »
Lulz that's funny because I've actually seen this happen lol. Or the sparkle dogs that are the gods of syrupy pancakes and their fighting on the plains over who's the best syrup covered pancake god :D

I think like with anything else, evil characters can be good with moderation. I've always disliked slipping into a group when it glitches and everyone's yelling about their horrible past, or whatever. xD