Author Topic: Paradox's Somewhat Complete Guide to Originality  (Read 3351 times)

Offline NuclearParadox

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Critic
    • View Profile
Paradox's Somewhat Complete Guide to Originality
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:59:45 pm »
This is a sister topic to the cliche list

So, maybe you just recently found out that "whoa nelly, my character is cliche!"  Or, perhaps you're making your character, but you want them to be as original as possible.  Either way, this guide will (hopefully) help you to make a nice, well-rounded, original character that doesn't make people say "been there, done that."

How does one define originality?
When someone says a character is "original", they usually mean that the character unique- the opposite of cliche.  In other words, the character's personality, history, or even appearance isn't what they commonly see in FH.  For instance, a black wolf with with red eyes and scar markings?  Not original, because they're everywhere.  I can guarantee that anyone who frequents FH in-game has seen at least one of these kinds of wolves/lions.

Step One - The Name
Usually, it's not even necessary to look at the cliche list to know what names are overused.  Scar, Dark, Moonlight, Soul, they're seen all over the place.  So, what do you do?  Find a baby names website and see if you like anything.  Not looking for a human name?  Then try out random sounds and see if they make a name, or look up a fantasy name generator.  If you're dead set on using a real word (!WARNING! BE CAUTIOUS OF USING JAPANESE WORDS), then see what it is in a different language.  Or, just try to find something uncommon.  Look up music and literary terms- sometimes they can make for really interesting names!

Step Two - The Appearance
So, you've got your name.  Fantabulous.  But wait, now you need an appearance to go with that.  My advice here is to just be as creative as you can.  Play around with different colors and designs; you'd be amazed at what you can come up with!  Try out some of those markings you don't see people using a lot, too.  Some of them can look really cool with the right color scheme.  Also, try some of the more unpopular colors; I'm not talkin' the ugly ones, just the overlooked ones.  Beige comes to mind, though there are plenty of others.  Also, thanks to Draak for pointing this out: just because your character is evil/dark does NOT mean they have to have dark colors!  The same goes for good/angelic character being light colors.  Also, if you claim your character is albino, they will NOT have blue, green, brown, etc. eyes.  Only red/pink.

Step Three - The Personality
Now that your character has a name and an appearance, it's time to make their personality.  This tends to be the one that's hardest to make original, but I have faith in this guide you to avoid those cliches!  First, you might want to try making a little list, written or mental.  On one side, have positive traits, and negative on the other.  Try to make it balanced, and pick traits that relate to one another.  For instance, don't have "shy" and "makes friends easily."  Most shy people kind of freeze up when they have to talk to new people (or is that just me?  That can't just be me).  You'll want to avoid the following "character types."
Type A. - The one who avoids everyone, is cold-hearted/a sociopath, and has absolutely no dimension other than that.  Really, that kind of character is just a rock.  A boring, flat rock.
Type B. - The one who acts like such a "tortured soul."  I.e. sighing all the time, insisting other can't understand them, "hiding their inner pain", and generally just taking the entire rp to baw and mope around.  May or may not instantly get all cuddly with the most "attractive" character of the opposite gender.
Type C. - The one who is rash, and does everything without thinking, but then suffers no consequences for said actions.  I.e. a wolf running into a hunter's camp because they shot his packmate, then escaping unscathed, and for some reason no one follows him.  A little rashness is okay, but for the love of God, don't overdo it like that.
More types can be found at the cliche list, link at the top of this page.

Step Four - The History
Finally, it comes down to this: your character's history.  This step is where most people completely botch it.  They may have the original name, the appearance, and a decent personality, but then their history is a complete cliche-fest.  Now, if your character...
A. Was cast out for being different
B. Had their entire pack slaughtered by an ambiguous creature/figure, and somehow they survived it
C. Raised themselves since birth
D. Is a reincarnation, and has some sort of super-mystical power that makes them the best thing since sliced bread
JUST STOP RIGHT THERE.
First of all "C" isn't possible.  I don't get how these wolves/lions are somehow raising themselves and not getting eaten.  As for the rest, they're just way too overdone, and quite cliche.  Anyway, there is nothing wrong with a little suffering in a character's history, but don't make it the only point of everything!  Everyone has good and bad in their pasts, and honestly?  What's wrong with having a character who grew up normally?  Even they have their share of suffering.  How to fix this cliche?  Just...be original.  Don't kill off everyone related to your character, don't make them into a martyr, don't try to act like they're better than everyone else.  Let their parents be alive, and actually nice to them.  Let them be a little more normal.  Not everyone has a traumatic, life-changing even happen in their history.

So, this is really all I can think of for now.  Will probably add in some edits later as more ideas come to be, but for now, this is it.  Hope it helps somewhat.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:08:39 pm by Paradox »
In-game I am NuclearParadox.

Offline Raz.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 28
  • aka Raz ingame.
    • View Profile
    • My DA page
Re: Paradox's Somewhat Complete Guide to Originality
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:33 am »
This is a good guide ;D

Step Two - The Appearance
So, you've got your name.  Fantabulous.  But wait, now you need an appearance to go with that.  My advice here is to just be as creative as you can.  Play around with different colors and designs; you'd be amazed at what you can come up with!  Try out some of those markings you don't see people using a lot, too.  Some of them can look really cool with the right color scheme.  Also, try some of the more unpopular colors; I'm not talkin' the ugly ones, just the overlooked ones.  Beige comes to mind, though there are plenty of others.

I'm  going to add to this by saying; if you have an evil/dark/etc character they do not have to be coloured in dark hues. Or the reverse, a pure "angelic" character does not have to be coloured in light hues.
Sure, it's natural we associate bad with dark and good with light colours but there's nothing wrong with a light coloured, evil OC. Their colour doesn't make them any less evil.

AND

If you want to make an Albino OC, for the love of god they DO NOT and WILL NEVER HAVE blue/other coloured eyes (with the exception of red of course).

Offline NuclearParadox

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »
Thanks, I'll add that in right now~

Offline Magpie

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 47
  • "Nobody's perfect", Yay I'm a nobody..I'M PERFECT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:29:19 pm »
Thank God, Paradox! You have made my day. I always run into damn 'tortured souls'. Mostly in a pack rp, they just do my head in. A few days back I got my slightly rude character and pwned the 'tortured souls' in my rp :P

Offline NuclearParadox

• Experienced Traveler
  • The Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »
Far too many tortured souls here in FH x_x  I think it has something to do with the amount of pre-teens going through their "emo" phase, but that's just my opinion.

Offline IceDarki

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • Hurr, durr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:51:31 am »
Oh dear, why is this on the 2nd page? O_O;
I'll be sure to link this to my Cliche List, Paradox. ;3