Author Topic: Death to the Parents?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
Death to the Parents?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:47:25 pm »

Hello, everyone - another topic I wanted to add. We love having parents and we nuzzle the ones we have. Parents are great, every shape and size. So, here's my question, why do we always have to kill off the parents?

Think about it - some people like to be detailed about their character's back-story, fair enough. In the end, the parents always have to die at some point. Whether it's them or the whole family, they usually are dead. Or never even bring them up as if they never existed.

Recently, I realized how many times I axed out the parents and came to the conclusion, "I might be a terrible person...!" I usually kill off the parents (if any) of my characters because either no one can play a parent or I don't feel like squeezing in an NPC.

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
Re: Death to the Parents?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »
lol so true.

Though I've never really killed off any of my characters' parents I often notice users in game who do just that. Think about how often you hear the story of the abandoned pup or cub...yeah. Too often xD Especially in Bonfire.

The stories of these abandoned pups and cubs are always the same too. Either their parents were killed by another pack, pride or hunter(s), or they killed their own parents, or their parents died of some disease etc. I never understand why people can't just say they grew up and left their parents, or maybe one of their parents died of old age or the parents sacrificed them self for them idk.. Why must they always be murdered though xD?

Here are some of the reasons why I think people do this:

- To lazy or not good at coming up with a more original story
- Want to play as a pup or cub but don't want to require having a user or user(s) to play as their parents
- These users just want to get into an adventurous rp without all the nurturing and childhood stuff expected when there's parents around.
- These users are young and either don't like their parents or are tired of rules or something lol
- It makes them look cool or pathetic and cute.
- They don't know how to rp as a real pup or cub

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »
Ah yes.... the parent killing.
In pretty much every Disney movie I've seen, the parents are killed off, and I guess that's where it all started. I think it's really unneeded; it's a bit scary whenever I hear some little girls playing princess and one says "Let's pretend our parents died!" "Okay!". A bit unsettling, how kids think that it's okay. I can't say for myself, but it's awful being an orphan. Sorry, this is already getting a bit off topic I'll get back to the point.
I'll admit, my OC, M'ulakrin, had both her parents killed off (well, not the dad, she never knew him). She sought revenge for about a year, when she ran into her brothers again and they fought the dog who killed their mom. Krin died in the fight, but her brothers lived on. Not the deepest story, but I mean, it's not like the other ones, where the kid grows up to be a physco. I'm proud to say its different from most of the other story's I've read.
Another thing I meant to get to, where the parents die and then the kid goes insane and murders the siblings. What's up with that? I've watched tv shows where both parents die, the kids didn't go mad and kill each other/everyone. I've also wondered where it started. Maybe Jeff the Killer? Or another CreepyPasta? I'm not sure, it can get a bit annoying. But as long as the story isn't that stereotypical, I'm okay.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:26:26 pm by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:11 pm »
Oi! These guys. I don't mind people not having parents... as long as they have a good reason why there aren't any. I don't like, however how almost every charry without parents makes up some horribly unrealistic story of how he killed them all and became leader of Bloodclan. Most of the time (unless I'm in a pack or something) when I roleplay, I myself don't have parents present... but the reason why is because of the following reasons:
1. My character is a dispersal (when an adolescent wolf leaves their pack in hopes of starting their own)
2. They are a demon, created by some element or ritual
3. They are an evil deputy in Dragonclan  (a joke clan Devy, Darkky and I created)
4. Ghostly entity with no memories of previous life

But yeah. Like Starry said, so many people do Creepy Pasta stuff like psycho murder family things. If there was in incident in which the parents died,

make up a creative story of how they died.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:44:13 am »
Most of my characters don't live with their parents anymore, since most are over the age of twenty. owo I can't say that I haven't killed off a character's parent, though.
Wolfie is probably the main one that is taken care of a guardian (as she doesn't know her parents, though they're not dead). She loves him to bits and he loves her back, though sometimes it's not horribly obvious.
A lot of my underaged characters (ranging 14-17) don't really hang around their house too much, so I haven't really planned if they have parents or not - though there are a few who live off by themself, their parents are perfectly fine, though.
-Wolfie

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »
Most of my characters don't live with their parents anymore
This is pretty much where most of my characters are at.
Now, I do have TWO, 'underaged' characters, that would normally be around their parents, but one of them had wandered off, therefore she isn't around them. The other one just... Doesn't like to be around them. Kids these days, AmIRight?

Other than that, there are no parents to be found. Much.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline iceheart999

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Your average Pacific Rim fan
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Clans Valley or WCV
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:14:10 am »
The normal 'i killed my parents' or 'my parents were killed' is, as stated, a normal excuse for people to not have parents at all. I myself honestly have one character I can name off the top of my head at the moment who has no known blood relatives.

Rosalva Arce, one of my PR fancharacters.

Yeah, yeah, she's a human, she shouldn't get a voice in this, shut it. Rosy did what any kid her age (14) with  reasonable mind would've done in the event of a huge monster attack and being home alone. She fled on foot. The other bits of her family were caught in the attack on San Fransisco, be it falling buildings, fires, or getting trapped, and did not make it out. Rosy managed to get out because she ran. She dumped out her bookbag, grabbed some non-refrigerated food and one bottle of water, maybe a few memoirs and a change of clothes and took to fleeing on foot. She barely got out with the backpack and the clothes on her back, but she made it out. Rosy made it out by pure luck, and that is why she's managed to be here today. Even though she has adopted parents nowadays, she doesn't live with them, or barely even has a connection to them. Along with the 'barely' status, her talk on her past. Of course, she has good reason, and I wouldn't blame her for keeping silent.

Comparing the pups stories of 'i killed them all' or Rosy's brush with death, it's obvious the latter is the choice of go for a dosage of realism in such an event (Though I wouldn't expect an attack by a godzilla-sized monster anytime soon). Rosy is the only character of mine who has a story like this (Yeva, my other PR fancharacter, lives in Florida) and I plan to keep it that way.

Find me in-game as:
iceheart999
~Pacific Rim~
Gipsy Danger Characters I'm usually on: Helia Wyght Yeva Monroe Rosalva Arce

Offline warroiranimals

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • This sentence is a lie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
Normally I prefer making my characters leave behind their parents as they grow up and decide to follow their own path. However, I think the top reason why parents are normally 'killed' is because:

One, when your character joins a pack/pride/clan/other group, it can be difficult to find someone to be your parent(s). Normally they're never active or sometimes you can't find anyone who would want to 'adopt' your character!

Two, it shapes your character more. It's a traumatic experience, thus causing your character to have 'problems' with being social or being fun and bubbly. However, I think you COULD make a character that is more anti-social without killing their parents. You just need to be imaginative.

Three, it can be hard to think of a past. I hope I'm not the only one when I say this, but it can be difficult to think up a backstory for your character...so the easiest thing to turn to is to just kill off everything important to the character and call it quits.

Back up account: ~Jay~

"I may not be smart enough to do everything, but I'm dumb enough to try anything!"

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »
Normally I prefer making my characters leave behind their parents as they grow up and decide to follow their own path. However, I think the top reason why parents are normally 'killed' is because:

Same thing here... my 'sona Astuzia is a dispersal from her pack.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Shenidan

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 80
  • Me hoy minoy
    • zyvy-raen
    • corri132
    • zyvraen666
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 03:41:58 am »
The parent killing bugs me but im sure there could be a reason behind it, Mostly, it is because theyre just lazy to get parents and just want to roleplay first. Thats all I know..

Signature by Sophie-Feathersong on dA

Find me ingame as ^Blurryface^