Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142520 times)

Offline moonshimmer100

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 07:24:35 am »
I hate when people do that, pretty much every rp i join now they talk like that it drives me insane and it takes me a long time to figure out what they're saying.
Hello random person! ^_^

Offline Genesis9

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 36
  • Doubt the stars are fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 07:37:46 am »
Yes. This. I cannot even put into words how much Wolf Speak irritates me! And I really, really despise how they seem to think that 'reading about these words on ROLE PLAY WEBSITES' makes them part of the English language, or at least viable words that can be used in their given contexts. No. Just no! Actually use a dictionary and then we'll talk.

Thank you so much for putting this up!

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Offline MadMoai

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Sleepy woof
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »
Just ran across a couple of hilarious phrases this morning:

"He raised his cranium..."
...Sounds like he cut off the top of his head and took it off to look at it. O_o

"He lowered his maw..."
To do that you'd have to swallow your own throat, wouldn't you?

Offline Goldchocobo

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 67
    • Aquachocobo
    • GoldchocoboFH
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:57 pm »
Just ran across a couple of hilarious phrases this morning:

"He raised his cranium..."
...Sounds like he cut off the top of his head and took it off to look at it. O_o

"He lowered his maw..."
To do that you'd have to swallow your own throat, wouldn't you?

I use Maw- I don't see it as wolf-speak, I know it means 'throat' or what ever- but it's commonly used to mean 'jaw' or 'mouth' expecially in older English speakers- though I have heard it being used more with Scottish speakers.

Offline Roxra

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • The Bird of Hermes is My Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »
Some terms of wolf-speak I find to be "ok", but when you go as far as using a word at sounds nice to define something that had nothing to do with the actual definition...thats going a littler over the edge

S.m.i.l.e
Kid

Offline RisingLife

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »
I usually can stand wolfspeak....to a point. If the person uses around one or two wolf-speak words (wolf-words?) in an rp line, Im fine. But if they are just stuffing the whole sentence with the words, my brain breaks and I just blatantly ask them "And that means...?" Usually they explain, but other times they just say, and I quote from an experience "Get a better vocabulary, noob".

I usually stay away from wolf rp's because of this, but every once and a while a feline starts talking like this, and I just wonder why they try. I mean, most of us just ask what they are saying anyways, so I dont see the point ._. I once encountered a large rogue/cat thing trying to attack me and some group members, and they were just overfilling their rp with wolf-speak. It literally took her two whole chat-box paragraphs to describe her sitting on the ground and flicking her ears. Not to mention when she was done we had to ask her what she was doing, for we honestly could not decipher what she was rping.

Now I know what the people who use wolf-speak are trying to do is be descriptive and make their rp different (or that is what I think. Correct me if Im wrong) but there is a difference between being literate and taking it too far. Recently I've been calling it "Over-Literate", for the "literate" portion has been blown out of proportion. I cannot stand rping with Over-Literate people, because you have to wait until they finish, like the example above, sitting down before you can get on to the rp. Wolf-speakers fill out a large amount of this Over-Literate section, and it just gets annoying ._. I may have to rename it now, seeing that all the words I am waiting for them to type so I can walk up to them are wrong.   
Check out my preset shop here!
And Art thread here!
And Character Bio here!?

Offline ResslessV

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • If my mane doesn't get you, the beard will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 11:17:39 pm »
I don't think anyone understands how much I hate wolfspeak.

Half of the time I can't even understand what they are trying to say. A lot of people feel as if using wolfspeak, it makes them a very detailed and literate roleplayer, when in reality, it just makes them look like an utter idiot.

No offence to anyone who actually uses wolfspeak. I mean, everyone has their own opinion and can say what they please, but I just find it annoying when they use these types of words in every single sentence. Drives me crazy.

-V

Rainbows :D

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:44 pm »

I usually stay away from wolf rp's because of this, but every once and a while a feline starts talking like this, and I just wonder why they try. I mean, most of us just ask what they are saying anyways, so I dont see the point ._. I once encountered a large rogue/cat thing trying to attack me and some group members, and they were just overfilling their rp with wolf-speak. It literally took her two whole chat-box paragraphs to describe her sitting on the ground and flicking her ears. Not to mention when she was done we had to ask her what she was doing, for we honestly could not decipher what she was rping.

A rogue cat was it?.... As in a Warrior rogue cat? .__.

That reminds me... you know what I don't get? I don't understand why some Warrior Cat roleplayers use wolf-speak in their RPs. I thought it was wolf-speak... not cat-speak. I have seen some cats refer to each other as "faes" and "brutes", or "wave their banner in the air", "gets up on her pillars", so on and so forth. I haven't read many of the books, but I know for sure that the author DIDN'T use wolf-speak at all. She did use different words to describe different things, such as "she-cat" for a female cat, or "tom" for a male.

I do have a few warrior RP friends who use a little bit of wolf-speak in their RP sentences. But then I come across some warrior cats that use wolf-speak to the max. So I just sit there and say, ".... Whaaaaat? Was that even English." o_o
Inactive

Offline Acetaminophen

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
That reminds me... you know what I don't get? I don't understand why some Warrior Cat roleplayers use wolf-speak in their RPs. I thought it was wolf-speak... not cat-speak. I have seen some cats refer to each other as "faes" and "brutes", or "wave their banner in the air", "gets up on her pillars", so on and so forth. I haven't read many of the books, but I know for sure that the author DIDN'T use wolf-speak at all. She did use different words to describe different things, such as "she-cat" for a female cat, or "tom" for a male.

The stuff seems to have originated with wolves, hence the name, but it doesn't mean felines should be picked on for using it due to their species. And no, of course the author didn't use wolf-speak! If rpers went off of what authors wrote, there'd only BE correct English!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:17:48 am by Acetaminophen »
When the whole world is running towards a cliff, he who is running in the opposite direction appears to have lost his mind. - C. S. Lewis

Offline Okami-Shiranui

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 49
  • "You want to change it, don't you?"
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:12 am »
Wolfspeak. The language used by RPers so nobody can understand them. They think they're all smart bu using long and uncomprehendable words, but they honestly just look stupid. They sound like they're a blabbering peasant from the Medivel times.