Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142522 times)

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2013, 10:44:53 am »
I have to say the only wolf speak word that I allow my pack to use is pads/pad/padded/padding because it has been used in Warrior Cats books so therefore if an author uses it, it's a word.

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline Silvertide

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • Drawn by WhiteLightHeart, colored by me. <3
    • View Profile
    • The Siar Journey Reborn
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:41 am »
Yep, I have seen 'padded' in a book about normal humans too. It can be used, for sure!
But anyways, I wouldn't really mind if people wanted to RP with wolf speak if they were at least nice about it... But if you try and RP without wolf speak they get all up in your face and it is just a complete disaster! If you want people to respect how you RP, respect how they RP too. Don't expect to receive respect when you are putting people down for not using your (this is a biased comment) messed up RP terms!

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:30 am »
I think the point of RolePlaying is for people to understand you. I don't think wolfspeak should be used at all, since it's just made up. I've never got the point of wolfspeak and wolves with powers personally, like elemental wolves and stuff. But I ain't judging.
I don't see why wolfspeak should be used at all. Wolfspeak is illiterate, and shouldn't be used for roleplay. It's pointless to type it out when not everyone can read it. It's a disadvantage when you use wolfspeak, because for one the words are different and longer, and it's pointless. For two, not everyone can read it, and a point of roleplaying is for people to read it easily.
If people are rude about it and defend the worthless style of RP, then that would quite the illiterate pack or clan, and another disadvantage is people hating on it when they try to gain members sometimes, and the good member quits because of it.

That's just my opinion though.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:27 am »
I feel like wolf speak is also used to make newbies think that they're so good at RPing. It didn't fool me. Someone used the word fae and I looked it up in a dictionary and fae wasn't a word -_-

Preset Download

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:38 am »
Saving this thread because that table at the beginning and that picture... absolute gold. XD

And oh my word, the crazy, completely-non-intelligible posts that people make! I've even caught my friends doing it, and I'm like, "-_- No." And smacked 'em for it (figuratively, of course). That being said, at least the "wolfspeak" that said friend was using was a heck of a lot easier to understand. But it didn't change the ridiculousness of it.

"A nose was upon her dermal pushing warm breath, that steamed from the winter pelt she grew."

Okay, I get what you're trying to say. But this is what I see when I read that:

"A nose was on her skin and her fur was breathing."

I could rant about the uselessness of wolfspeak all day, but then I'd never be done posting. XD

EDIT: Bottom line is this: if nobody can understand your post, you're not roleplaying, you're vomiting words.

EDIT 2: To everyone who thinks wolfspeak is literate, here is the definition of the word "literate"

"A PERSON WHO IS ABLE TO READ AND WRITE." That's it! Get over yourselves!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:22:31 am by Mondevu »
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline Tearless

• The strange artist about whom your mother warned you...
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 81
  • Weird Absentee Uncle
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:31 pm »
So... um... I may have just done a thing... it was supposed to be funny but it just ended up kind of terrifying.

The fae wolfspeakerous extended her boa to better survey the camp as her elegent pillars shifted her treads to carry her carcass across the ground, banner held high in a gesture of authority. She rotated her dial to face her second in command and dipped her cranium in a nod as she passed, daggers glinting in the pale morning sun as her long antennae swivveled to catch the sound of young wolfspeakeri playing nearby.

^ 100% accurate description of what's happening.

A brujo would of course be recognized by his wizard hat instead of faery wings.

I'll see myself out...

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:51 pm »
So... um... I may have just done a thing... it was supposed to be funny but it just ended up kind of terrifying.

The fae wolfspeakerous extended her boa to better survey the camp as her elegent pillars shifted her treads to carry her carcass across the ground, banner held high in a gesture of authority. She rotated her dial to face her second in command and dipped her cranium in a nod as she passed, daggers glinting in the pale morning sun as her long antennae swivveled to catch the sound of young wolfspeakeri playing nearby.

^ 100% accurate description of what's happening.

A brujo would of course be recognized by his wizard hat instead of faery wings.

I'll see myself out...

Great drawing! XD it really shows you how ridiculous wolf speak is...

Preset Download

BouncyLion101

« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:09 pm »

..O.O
That is a little terrifying, yes. XD
But it also shows exactly how ridiculous wolfspeak really is.

Great drawing skills you have there, by the way. c:

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:38 am »
Tearless, that was absolutely amazing. XD

And terrifying, yes. /)_(\ But so worth it! I think this one came out better than the one at the beginning of the thread. Also, love the note about wings versus hats. XD
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!

Offline pyroraptor1

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »
Oh thanks for hessian...I AM GERMAN!!! AND I AM HESSE!!! Stupid wolf speak!