Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142530 times)

Offline Nymphadora

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • J?s? s???? - ????'?? ?? ????.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »
There are also those people who's words NEED to be at least 1200000 characters long each, or the post is considered illiterate. -flips table- I MEAN REALLY?

Or the ones who use the latin name for everything. I KNOW what my bones are called. I do not need to wave my fibia, I just want to move a limb. Is that so hard? *Overuses google translate*

A couple of my friends roleplay like this, but it's not because they're trying to be funny about it, they've grown accustomed to it and find it hard to return to the normal H, S, K, T. I know for a long while I'd grown accustomed to Sci-speak but I eventually found the light and was dragged away from the long, latin words and now, I'm sane again xD. But the good thing about once being a sci-speaker, I now know what the long winded words people use to try and confuse you mean. Their attempts at confusing me have failed over and over. -Snicker-

If I really want to confuse someone who is bugging me, I'll resort to Wolf-speak or Sci-speak, purely because I want to end it quickly. I know it doesn't seem like it makes much sense, but very few want to RP with someone where their posts aren't understandable and so, they'll either walk off or rage and I'll walk off. xD - In my eyes, It's better than screaming in their faces that they're annoying or the posts don't correspond with my own that was sent...

For example:

<Tinyterror> Tiny's whiskers twitched once, then twice as she held back a snicker, backing off a couple of paces. Mewling a little bit, she looks over her shoulder to her clan before her pale gaze is once again offered to the intruder. "May I ask your presence?" Claw-tips pressed into the soil, she refrains from attacking.

<Fred> *He swipes the cat away at her attempt to hurt him and marches toward the group of cats.*

o.o I'msorryhowdoesthismakesense? -Rages-
W???, I s????s? I ???? ????? ??? ???? ???s, ????? ?s ?x????? ??? I ???? ?????:

Sir Equius

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:16 pm »
There are also those people who's words NEED to be at least 1200000 characters long each, or the post is considered illiterate. -flips table- I MEAN REALLY?

Or the ones who use the latin name for everything. I KNOW what my bones are called. I do not need to wave my fibia, I just want to move a limb. Is that so hard? *Overuses google translate*

I do agree that some words are ok, and do make sense, but honestly, the users who speak in normal, literate and common english are the ones I'd rather RP with.

D--> I have a few friends who use scientific terminology when roleplaying. Often times I have no idea what in the world they are saying. I ask them why they use those terms instead of simple words and they tell me "Because it makes more sense than the words people use in wolfspeak."

D--> And then there are the people who think it's important to write a 1000 word post for it to count as being literate. I don't think having to write a paragraph of a character's simple action is needed in roleplay. I think as long as the person uses proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling, that's literate enough for me. Using wolfspeak won't really make you more literate, either.

Offline Nymphadora

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:38 pm »

D--> I have a few friends who use scientific terminology when roleplaying. Often times I have no idea what in the world they are saying. I ask them why they use those terms instead of simple words and they tell me "Because it makes more sense than the words people use in wolfspeak."

D--> And then there are the people who think it's important to write a 1000 word post for it to count as being literate. I don't think having to write a paragraph of a character's simple action is needed in roleplay. I think as long as the person uses proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling, that's literate enough for me. Using wolfspeak won't really make you more literate, either.

You have just made my day :'D ~ So many people think that para-roleplay is lit-roleplay... they're completely different things. Literate refers to how grammatically correct a post is in terms of punctuation and spelling. A long post does not make it literate... A paragraph roleplayer could have the least skills in literacy, but are accepted because of how long the post is...

Personally, I prefer someone who is both literate and paragraphs, it gives people more to work with when it comes to roleplay instead of having short posts such as:

*He walks over and says hello*
*She smiles*
*He flicks her nose*
*She gets up and walks off*
*He bites her*
*She growls*

It's just harder to work with if the reply to a paragraph is a single sentence with little to no dialogue or actions. It just drives people to small-posting which can get frustrating for some.

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
Can some one lock this thread please?

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2013, 06:35:53 pm »

This thread doesn't need to be locked. Its a discussion about a type of roleplay and some people don't like it, nothing wrong with that. There's no issue here.

Offline .Insanity.

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
  • Cross my temper, and the game is over. c:
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:58 pm »
Ahh, how I dislike this 'wolfspeak'. The words make no sense, and it is even more confusing for people with other nationalities, whose native language isn't english. Me, for example. Though I tend to say I know english pretty well. Lol.
My favorite character Xion <3
Drawn by LordSuragaha <3 Thank you very much!!!

Sir Equius

« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

D--> No

D--> But seriously, like Silhouette pointed out, there is no need for the thread to be locked. It's a friendly discussion full of different opinions, even if we don't agree with all of them. Only a moderator or the person who created the topic can decide whether to lock the thread or keep it open. If the discussion gets out of hand, and a staff member feels the need to lock it, they will.

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2013, 11:10:22 pm »
I used to wolfspeak, got my lesson in Lagfire and facepalmed after searching the words I used on Google.
I was just doin' like my friends, following their examples as English is my second language. So yeah.

I never wolfspoke since the Lagfire thing. I am now literate and use understandable words, and I mean that by not using scientific terms. Because Iknowthatit'sannoying.

Offline Nymphadora

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #158 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »
I find it somewhat humerous that no one seems to like sci-speak, yet if roleplaying with someone in-game that are using Sci-speak, you often hear things like 'Oh my god (Insert name here), I didn't understand a word of that but your roleplaying is amazing'. Is that why these people roleplay like this? Because they want praise off of other users? 'I didn't understand a word of that' Does this mean nothing to them?

Now, when I used sci-speak, I did it because I was in a group where everyone used it. It was the normal lingo and I got sucked into it. As soon as the group disbanded, I went about continuing the normal H,S,K,T that most other users... use. Sure now I know all the sci-speak stuff and I'm not confused by it, but I don't think I'd ever resort to it unless incredibly annoyed by someone who I want to agitate... That doesn't happen often mind you xD So 99% of the time, I'll H,S,K,T.

Offline Mondevu

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 25, 2013, 08:04:07 am »
Agreeing with Silhouette again. This thread, in no way, needs to be locked. There's no fighting going on here, and despite what some might think, we're not bashing other players. We're expressing our distaste for a style of roleplay which we all dislike, as well as the distaste of the attitude many wolfspeakers have towards those of us who post in roleplays the way we've been posting in this thread. As if normal words were bad.

And Nym, I agree with you, as well. You can be perfectly literate and type in short posts. Heck, that was how I started (waaaaay back on AOL3.0 XD). My posts were little things like "pads in" or "looks around" and whatnot. Now I'm a paragraph roleplayer. :3 I love giving narration to my posts as opposed to just posting the basics. Not that I don't revert if I'm joining a group temporarily, but I certainly agree that people should get behind the idea that "literate" does not mean "post a paragraph."
Custom Markings - Click Here!

Custom Music - Click Here!

Custom Emotes - Click Here!