Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142527 times)

Offline Ayanel

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2013, 11:00:09 pm »
May I simply say. I am glad to have seen this. I was actually told many times that I was Illiterate for my lack of being able to even understand "wolfspeak" or how most think of it now as "Literate" RP-ing. I was on not to long ago and was told that I was Illiterate and should go back to school. I have been to college and have taken English courses. I was more then stunned at what they told me. I simply asked why they where using scientific/medical terms in an rp. I knew that even some of those words could not possibly be accurate.  Thank goodness this exists. I feel like referring all those wolfspeakers here and showing them how idiotic the way they rp is. You have officially calmed my mind and I finally feel alright for not knowing some of those silly terms.
What? Where you expecting something?

Offline Black-Serpent

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2013, 02:01:24 pm »
May I simply say. I am glad to have seen this. I was actually told many times that I was Illiterate for my lack of being able to even understand "wolfspeak" or how most think of it now as "Literate" RP-ing. I was on not to long ago and was told that I was Illiterate and should go back to school. I have been to college and have taken English courses. I was more then stunned at what they told me. I simply asked why they where using scientific/medical terms in an rp. I knew that even some of those words could not possibly be accurate.  Thank goodness this exists. I feel like referring all those wolfspeakers here and showing them how idiotic the way they rp is. You have officially calmed my mind and I finally feel alright for not knowing some of those silly terms.

'Illiterate' definition - a person who is unable to read or write.

Despite the wolf-speaker's terms on calling you an 'illiterate', the irony is of that they use adjectives from
a Thesaurus as nouns. The most common example for calling males would be the use of 'Virile'.

Of course a virile is definitely for a male, but it's an adjective. A more appropriate sense would be "the virile male" other than "the virile."

Why the 'literates' fail to address proper grammar with at least a compound sentence is up to you.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Source for more information: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/adjectives.htm

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2013, 04:12:51 pm »
What is so ironic about these 'wolf speakers' is that they call someone illiterate when someone isn't using 'wolf speak'.
What I find so amusing that they're using words like 'hessian' for male, which is actually a fabric and fae for female which is actually an air fuel explosive xD
When I run into wolf speakers I tell them to look up the definition of fae and hessian.
They just can't respond back because they've been pwned so hard >8D

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline meeeea

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »
I don't really mind this wolfspeak. It's simply English but turned into some fancy language people use to look more literate, and I'm fine with that. I have joined many roleplays where members mostly used wolfspeak, so I went along. It's not bad if you're roleplaying with people that use wolfspeak too, and I don't find it really.. 'nice' of people when using wolfspeak in normal roleplaying groups.

What is so ironic about these 'wolf speakers' is that they call someone illiterate when someone isn't using 'wolf speak'.
What I find so amusing that they're using words like 'hessian' for male, which is actually a fabric and fae for female which is actually an air fuel explosive xD
When I run into wolf speakers I tell them to look up the definition of fae and hessian.
They just can't respond back because they've been pwned so hard >8D

Hessian? xD I've never seen someone saying that! You learn something every day, aye? x3

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2013, 04:29:51 am »
Earlier, I heard some wolves in a roleplay wolfspeaking. I told them off, saying that I couldn't understand them and that what they are doing is very illiterate in the roleplay tense. They then started to act like they were better than me, strutting their high horse and telling me that I couldn't type correctly. (I don't capitalize because the game lags and it's difficult to) It's basically the same "bawww u r illiterate becuz u don't woofspek" problem.

It's really bucking stupid that wolfspeakers can't get off their high horse, thinking they are smarter than everyone else because they use a stupid thesaurus for roleplaying. What really annoys me is that almost all of the wolf packs I see use wolfspeak. I mean, seriously?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:32:33 am by Lion/WolfQueen »

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »
They probably only did that because you "Told them off". Just leave them alone or block them if they get on your nerves.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Hotdogsrule

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • i eat cereal at 6 pm
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »
This is exactly my problem with wolfspeak. Even with the guide, looking at the posts, unless you were a
"aforementioned thesaurus-humper", you can't understand a word they were trying to get across.
  And, yeah. I've seen "mug" used as a synonym for the world muzzle. Unless you have a coffee mug strapped to your mouth, I don't see where this would work. Honestly.
You might as well be typing in 'eyes' into Thesaurus.com and picking out the longest, most complicated word you see. People who use wolfspeak honestly sound like robots. I can't even begin to think how they talk on a daily basis.
"You couldn't possibly believe this, but last night, I thought I saw a pair of crimson luminaries peeping at my through the transparent pane of glass in my bedroom. It was the strangest thing, if I do say so myself."
Just... xD This was a hilarious post, Dubstep.

bork
(i don't even like hotdogs)

Offline Vacio

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:29 pm »
As much as I have a personal distaste for wolfspeak, I have mixed feelings about this. While I hate to see people who absolutely must refer to their body parts as such things, or  for example every male is a "brute" which is not a gender specific word by any means, I find it completely agreeable to refer to things in manners when the time calls for it, I find it to be acceptable when someone refers to their tail as a 'banner' if the character is displaying it in such manner; However I do not believe it is a proper word to always refer to "tail" Although some words may not be my favorite word to use, I beileve some of the words listed are still being used correctly to a degree. (However I do not agree with the amount of usage these words receive from many wolfspeakers, Although words such as "Optics" a word very much related to sight and vision in many cases, however this word has multiple uses. Where I find it odd when someone uses it every time, it is still relevant.)

However there can be issues with calling your eyes "Orbs" "Spheres" or "Globes" Although the eyes are round, just as Orbs, spheres and globes, They are not the only body parts that could referred to as such. Same with using words like "Receivers" Although it is true that ears can Receive, as can many other things, All of your five senses could be referred to as such just as easily as your ears. "Receiver" can refer to anything that receives, not just "devices" However I suppose you could consider ears a "Hearing device"

As much as I hate to see wolfspeak being used, I feel as though the Original Post is very one-sided. some of these words listed should have no problem being used in roleplay as such, however if you call your legs "pillars" every time I think there may be an issue and you may need to widen your vocabulary, and in turn accept the word "Leg" as there is nothing wrong with this word. I would also like to say I dislike "Wolfspeak" as a whole, as I feel the words used are often not consistent with each other. As much wolfspeakers use words incorrectly (Like Brute, and that sort of thing) and many seem to ignore the actual meaning, defiling perfectly good words to a degree that if you were to call a female "A brute" as, Say, your characters calls her as such as your character feels like she is a brute, or brutish, however many wolfspeakers may whine and tell you "BUT I AM FEMALE" and you are likely to commence the epic face-palm.

Offline RosesThorns

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • :33
    • ilikechocolate123344
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
I agree. Say if you're in a pack that uses wolf-speak, and you don't use it. You'll just be lost in roleplay and get really confused!

Well, I do like using words that aren't really abused, (EX: kind, nice, bad,) but I'm not so technical with it! People think they are adult-authors.

How did this system even start?

People probably abuse this wolf-speak, and sometimes they make no sense at all. They just throw random words out there.

I never really seen this happening in-game, but on the forums I've seen it. I just feel like flipping my iPod out the window.

Sorry for the rant. I just can't take it!

Have a good day now ^_^

(^???^) < SANIK SPEED!

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 23, 2013, 05:27:51 pm »
The words don't bother me as much as there dang behavior. Like I said before, has anyone seen that Wolfspeakers think they are so smart; better than everyone else, just because they use fake/stupid "smart" words that make no sense?

Seriously wolf roleplayers, this is a free game-project everyone can use, not a fancy, overly-"divine", game that you payed 200$ for. -_-