Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142524 times)

Offline LunaWolfe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Lederp
    • View Profile
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:42 pm »
It's not just wolves, oh my god.
I just walked into a large group of lions using adjectives and nouns like 'brute' and 'audits' and 'orbs'.

Also, you know what else shouldn't be used? Talking like the character is in a first-person point of view. I mean, really! First of all, roleplay takes place in third-person point of view and second, it really just confuses me. I can't really explain it further, but it's just a pet-peeve.

e:

NAME DISCLOSED: I flick my auditories back hearing harsh comments...

Really, now. Are you a robot?

I believe some feel more comfortable writing in first person. Think of it like the variety of writing in books, fanfiction, or other various pieces of literature. Some prefer to write in first person while others prefer third person. Roleplay doesn't solely have to take place in a third-person setting, even if most seem to be more inclined to post in that format. While I can understand if a certain roleplay was limited to one perspective they wouldn't want to see the other, I wouldn't go to the length saying it shouldn't be used altogether in any form no matter if a roleplay approves of it or not. I mean.. I can understand that a Roleplay A would like to stay third person, and I'm fine with that. But saying that Roleplay B who doesn't mind first person shouldn't be allowed to use it at all is a bit harsh.

Just my opinion on that. ^^;

Back on the topic of wolfspeak however, I myself don't personally mind it as long as the roleplay doesn't forbid it ouo I honestly have taken to the use of 'orbs' for eyes, though thats the only word I've really picked up from wolfspeak myself. Even then, I've gotten quite some hate on the fact that I use it every now and then, even if the roleplay I'm in has no rule against the use of wolfspeak. >< Ah well. I can understand the disliking for it, though.

Click it, we know you want to~ <3

Offline Chunky_Squirrel

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 125
  • Forever Flaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2014, 10:26:29 am »
I read the other day, and now kinda think of it, I have used to Rp WS, but I was wondering.
Could you tell me If I Rp literately or atleast semi?

The tan white-gray cat, walked to the fresh-kill pile, before crouching, to reach for a mice.
Standing up, she walked to a nearby dead tree, as she turned around, and lyied down.
As she began to nible at the small mice's body.

So, tell me, am I using WS?

Profile picture by me! ^.^
IM BACK!!!

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »
I read the other day, and now kinda think of it, I have used to Rp WS, but I was wondering.

The tan white-gray cat, walked to the fresh-kill pile, before crouching, to reach for a mice.
Standing up, she walked to a nearby dead tree, as she turned around, and lyied down.

You are literate, and do not use WS. XD

But, as with the rest of everything, I must say, WS sucks.
With the stuff above, I use RPing as a way to
A) Have fun, and
B) Improve my writing skills.
I have been meaning to try first-person, being as how I can't write well in that style.

And I understand where people are getting this, due to the name, but....

WOLFSPEAK IS NOT JUST FOR WOLVES!

WolfSpeak originated in WolfQuest as far as we know, and people added more to it.
WS is for anyone, it is a CORRECT way of RPing, though the official definitions are incorrect for the words they use.
I RP with dragons, lions, bears, and even an otter once that used WolfSpeak.

>:l Had to clear that up for yall.
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline whitewolf223

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • The casual observationist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2014, 12:18:30 am »
You people hate listening to me don't you? xD    Wolfspeak was around well before Wolf Quest. WELL before it.
Back again, let's see how long I stick around this time.

Offline Aniuk

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 61
  • mesh requests? pm me~
    • giddyfox
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2014, 12:57:21 am »
Everyone's opinion on the subject.. quite interesting. A lot of opposite opinions. While you're all commenting, be sure not to use harsh words or attitude, and watch your wording. I know several people who've left the game recently because of such drama. Perhaps, to prove your point, try providing raw evidence & supporting information, instead of using words like 'idiots,' 'stupid,' and saying things like 'OMG No one gets anything,' or  'no one EVER listens to me.' Also, I ask, if you could try to be a little bit nicer when stating your opinions. c: Just trying to give some suggestions, I hate seeing others leave because of drama when this is an animal-based game.

sig by pokrova on deviantART

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2014, 02:59:52 am »

WolfSpeak originated in WolfQuest as far as we know, and people added more to it.
WS is for anyone, it is a CORRECT way of RPing, though the official definitions are incorrect for the words they use.
I RP with dragons, lions, bears, and even an otter once that used WolfSpeak.
Umm..

Wolfspeak isn't the "correct" way to roleplay. The correct way to roleplay is to have a scene of action that everyone can understand, ether if it's words or actions. For example, the stereotypical young TLK roleplayers at Bonfire who say stuff like "pushs zira of clif no mis" are not roleplaying right. Most wolfspeakers are not correctly roleplaying because they are trying too hard to be smart (and being very rude while they are at it), and is using words that the common man most likely will not understand. It's likely not even George Washington or Shakespeare will understand "wolfspeak". A correct way to roleplay is like Hackers.'s rp sample.

And also, Aniuk, I never seen any widespread drama about wolfspeak as much as the removal of General, so this "drama" isn't caused by this. And plus, this is a place of discussing, and we are calling the act "stupid", not the person. At least we are not cussing a storm. Idiot[ic] or stupid could be harsh if directed to a person, but at least we are not dropping the f bomb and/or hating the person. c;

Offline _Rache_

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 34
  • Your future is bright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2014, 08:34:25 am »
Everyone's opinion on the subject.. quite interesting. A lot of opposite opinions. While you're all commenting, be sure not to use harsh words or attitude, and watch your wording. I know several people who've left the game recently because of such drama. Perhaps, to prove your point, try providing raw evidence & supporting information, instead of using words like 'idiots,' 'stupid,' and saying things like 'OMG No one gets anything,' or  'no one EVER listens to me.' Also, I ask, if you could try to be a little bit nicer when stating your opinions. c: Just trying to give some suggestions, I hate seeing others leave because of drama when this is an animal-based game.

Thank you. e.e
I love you

Offline Nymphadora

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • J?s? s???? - ????'?? ?? ????.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2014, 11:32:16 am »
I used to Wolfspeak... Perhaps far too much x.x - I just gave up with it in the end because I was tired of no one understanding what it was I said. In the end, very few people want to RP with people who use 'advanced' vocabulary. I say Advanced sarcastically as half of the words involved in wolfspeak are completely... How do I put this... Unrelated?

What I'm trying to say, really, is that I don't have a problem with people wolf-speaking. I just get a little annoyed when people use words that have no relation to the part of the body that is being described. Banner for example. It doesn't mean 'tail', far from it.

Now they're banners... I see no relation to them being a tail... This is why I get frustrated. Another most commonly used is pillars for legs. I get it, pillars hold a structure up, legs hold a structure up, but visibly, there is no connection.

Someone really needs to take a good look into these words used and figure out the meanings of each used. I did, a long time ago, and a lot of the words are just a bizarre concoction thrown down onto some paper that someone decided would be a good way to roleplay and make them look better than everyone else when really, half of what they say doesn't even make sense...

I think I'm going off the rails a little here... Still, it's best to have my view out in the open and be able to relax a little after seeing tons of wolfspeakers in FP these past few weeks. You see too many of them and you literally go nuts, mentally correcting them because if you point it out, they rant about it then it becomes more than just a debate, it turns into an argument and then, in turn, something horrible...
W???, I s????s? I ???? ????? ??? ???? ???s, ????? ?s ?x????? ??? I ???? ?????:

Offline Wizardmymom

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • probably suffering rn
    • the-aquamama
    • pharahraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2014, 01:30:19 pm »
Umm..

Wolfspeak isn't the "correct" way to roleplay. The correct way to roleplay is to have a scene of action that everyone can understand, ether if it's words or actions. For example, the stereotypical young TLK roleplayers at Bonfire who say stuff like "pushs zira of clif no mis" are not roleplaying right. Most wolfspeakers are not correctly roleplaying because they are trying too hard to be smart (and being very rude while they are at it), and is using words that the common man most likely will not understand. It's likely not even George Washington or Shakespeare will understand "wolfspeak". A correct way to roleplay is like Hackers.'s rp sample.

Pardon me as I say, I did
NOT
say WS was THE correct way to RP.
When on earth did I say that?

However, it is A correct way, due to the fact that, by the looks of this thread, we know what they mean.
If we agree or not with their words is another problem.

RPing as a whole is, in my mind, just typing a bunch of stuff to say what your character is doing or acting.
This thread PROVES that we CAN understand wolfspeakers, and therefor, it IS a proper way to RP.
Though, at the same time, completely wrong due to word choice.

As stated above me, words are unrelated to their use, but do we understand their point?
YES.

So therefor, they ARE RPers.
You cannot say it isn't a way to RP, because it obviously IS.

And those TLK RPers are RPing too, we can understand what they're doing, they can understand it.
As long as that's true, it is an RP.
And '...are not RPing right.' Erm, yes they are.
That is how they RP.

Being Literate is not THE way to RP, as you seem to of ment.
Just take a drop by any forum RP area, and you see.
People RP like that there, it isn't just FH.
People also RP literately.

Sorry for my forever-long rant here, but it's true. >:|

Also:
I am in NO way supporting the idea of WS.
I am just trying to back up my previous point.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:33:00 pm by Oceanwave »
Trans, gay, and ready to play

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2014, 02:16:09 am »
((There is no room for arguing on this thread. Everyone's makes mistakes, everyone's human, so do not burst. Kthnx.))

Just, I don't like wolfspeak at all. In my opinion, it's illiterate. That's all.