Author Topic: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it  (Read 142528 times)

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
Re: A guide to wolfspeak and why you shouldn't use it
« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2014, 03:30:27 am »

i think this is appropriate for the situation on our paws
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:32:50 am by Spottedbears »

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile

Offline MightyRose

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2014, 05:31:25 am »
Ok.
I understand what you are meaning by this.
Yes, wolfspeak makes no logical sense. At All.
But people enjoy using it for role plays, and I respect that.
And thank you for putting all the effort into making this. :) 

Offline MoonStream607

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Nera Orion
    • View Profile
    • Wolves of Foxwood- My tribe I am 2nd in command. Only wolves and it has two Tribes, magic and dark. Magia and Ruban.
« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2014, 06:08:38 am »
XD I saved the pic!
-Allgemeine of the Magia Tribe-
Find me in-game as Nera Orion

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2014, 07:33:06 am »
I'm honestly surprised this thread's been going on so long, haha.

Wolfspeak still makes me incredibly uncomfortable because it's just flat out...wrong. When I see people use it on other sites I go into a fanfiction-beta mode and fix all the errors in my head than actually pay attention to it. It's distracting, rather sloppy, and from the words used, incredibly innaccurate to what people are aiming to portray.

The fact that a lot of people use first person in it also makes it confusing. So many I's and far too many longwinded (and heavy adjective use) in describing themselves and other characters instead of just referring to people by name. It is quite easy for someone to get lost, by golly.

What bothers me more though is the whole 'illiterate' and 'literate' terms themselves, because in the realm of roleplaying even they are being misused; illiterate means a person can't read or write at all, while literate means that you can, and I find that incredibly insulting to people who can and cannot read. It's understood what's being referred to (those with sloppy/choppy roleplay and those with neater styles), but still something that makes me uncomfortable.

That however is a whole other can of worms and since it's been around so long it probably won't go anywhere even if it had it's own thread, haha.

Offline Abbi Normal

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • The Laughing Hyena
    • View Profile
    • Abbi Normal's DeviantArt
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2014, 02:32:16 am »
I agree above that the terms literate and illiterate aren't really apt to what they're describing. I prefer Literary and non-literary/casual. It has a similar sound, and the words are a lot more accurate to what they're trying to describe.

Also, in the OP post, the first example, about the ebony pendulum...until someone explained it a few posts later, I seriously thought that was an excerpt from something...inappropriate...and was looking at it all O_O . Words have meaning for a reason.
My DeviantArt Account -- I draw a little bit of everything, make stuffed animals and getting into polymer clay.

My Tumblr -- general geek, fandom, and weird stuff.

Offline IcyFrost

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
  • what is life? life is cheese.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:25 am »
Oh god, I think you killed us all with laughter when you posted this, Dubstep. Yes... Wait no.... Nevermind yes.. Ok forget that no.... WAIT WAIT! Last time.. Yes. Nope..... no.... Wait.... No. Still no. duiehweufvheuigeyugnf

Because yes, everyone needs Canada in their signatures.

Offline Wolflover224

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • Im an IRL dolphin; On hiatus
    • the-sketchy-orca
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 05, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »
Ahhh, the common wolfspeak... Feral Heart's lack of realism (includes legendary beings, such as dragons). Wolfspeak's hard to understand, is annoying, and really shows lack of realism. My friend had a husky pack, and all of the RP samples she got were wolfspeak,... She said show realism (since it was a realistic husky RP group), and the others said they were... Here's an example of a RP sample she got, word from word:  "The fae moved her pillars steadily, her daggers scrapped the rocks that were hidden, covered by the snow. She flicked her tassles, and raised her mug in the air (easy to imagine a husky holding up a mug of coffee there p.s this wasnt in the sample). Lillia snarled, baring her large hooks. Her radars flicked as she heard a snap of a twig. She turned her boa around to face the brute. Her lanterns flashed with hatred for this one... for this brute killed her one and only father. His crainium twisted around some on his large boa, his pools shimmering (oh so huskies own pools now, do they?). He turned his skull around and moved his carcass and barred his hooks in one last snarl, before he died. Lillia tilted her crainium slightly,as she moved her pillars slightly. She poked him with her daggers, before moving her crainium closer to his. The fae saw the foam around his mouth, and realized that he had been a victim of the deadly brain eating parasite, mistaken for a disease (FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THAT RABIES IS A PARASITE!), known as rabies. She ran away, leaving his carcass behind. Her banner flowed behind her, as she ran to her mate." WOW.... just.. wow..... SUCH REALISM!! :O  JK no there wasn't any realism whatsoever there.

Offline SL138197

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
  • Thank ye' TinyTail.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #268 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »
Ahhh, the common wolfspeak... Feral Heart's lack of realism (includes legendary beings, such as dragons). Wolfspeak's hard to understand, is annoying, and really shows lack of realism. My friend had a husky pack, and all of the RP samples she got were wolfspeak,... She said show realism (since it was a realistic husky RP group), and the others said they were... Here's an example of a RP sample she got, word from word:  "The fae moved her pillars steadily, her daggers scrapped the rocks that were hidden, covered by the snow. She flicked her tassles, and raised her mug in the air (easy to imagine a husky holding up a mug of coffee there p.s this wasnt in the sample). Lillia snarled, baring her large hooks. Her radars flicked as she heard a snap of a twig. She turned her boa around to face the brute. Her lanterns flashed with hatred for this one... for this brute killed her one and only father. His crainium twisted around some on his large boa, his pools shimmering (oh so huskies own pools now, do they?). He turned his skull around and moved his carcass and barred his hooks in one last snarl, before he died. Lillia tilted her crainium slightly,as she moved her pillars slightly. She poked him with her daggers, before moving her crainium closer to his. The fae saw the foam around his mouth, and realized that he had been a victim of the deadly brain eating parasite, mistaken for a disease (FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THAT RABIES IS A PARASITE!), known as rabies. She ran away, leaving his carcass behind. Her banner flowed behind her, as she ran to her mate." WOW.... just.. wow..... SUCH REALISM!! :O  JK no there wasn't any realism whatsoever there.
My Face While Reading: O_O WTF
DeviantArt: Riverthefluffybum
Minecraft: artsy_gamer906

Offline Wolflover224

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 16
  • Im an IRL dolphin; On hiatus
    • the-sketchy-orca
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:01 pm »
was my post deleted?